I cut the cable. Now I need help.

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Will Hulu let you stream via browser on a tablet, or do they force everything to the app?

Never tried spoofing an IP, but assuming it's possible on a rooted device.

In England I was on my laptop, tried two different VPN services ExpressVPN and TORVPN, every US location I tried was blocked. Even a couple of the somewhat secret servers. But like I said when I went to the ESPN site they let me sign on using my HULU account and I was able to watch the game on ESPN.

Edited by Drroogh

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

In England I was on my laptop, tried two different VPN services ExpressVPN and TORVPN, every US location I tried was blocked. Even a couple of the somewhat secret servers. But like I said when I went to the ESPN site they let me sign on using my HULU account and I was able to watch the game on ESPN.

Shared logins like that often don't do a full authentication. Just simple password verification through the "host" service. Any additional blocks/verifications are still on the secondary site's end.

53 minutes ago, rico said:

So, if I get a Roku I have access to Hulu and Netflix?

There are lot's of ways to access, but both HULU and Netflix are subscription services. The services come with monthly billings, unless you get access through a different service like your cell phone contract. There is of course the multiple email sign up for free trials trick.

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There are lot's of ways to access, but both HULU and Netflix are subscription services. The services come with monthly billings, unless you get access through a different service like your cell phone contract. There is of course the multiple email sign up for free trials trick.

Thanks Bro, I will try to "muddle" my way through this stuff.

Rico.  I know it can be confusing.  Until one starts using the services.  Drroogh is correct.  Hulu and Netflix are separate subscription services. Interestingly enough I pay for Netflix through my Hulu account.

DrRoogh is also correct about the fact that most of the subscription services, such as Showtime and HBO offer free trial periods. 

I got Hulu so I could watch the Big Ten Channel, after Comcast terminated it.  It's back on Comcast, but I have not gone back'

However aside from the subscription services, there are tons of free streaming channels, which offer free movies, etc.  Such as PlutoTV and many others.  I love a channel called NewsOn, where I can watch local tv all across the nation.  And there is another channel in which I can listen to local radio across the U.S.

Actually there are more channels than I have time for.  The list seems to be endless.  And they keep adding.

Currently I have 85 stations set up on Roku.  But I read a while back, that there are over 3,000 streaming channels available.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Thanks Bro, I will try to "muddle" my way through this stuff.

I found the representatives of both Hulu and Roku extremely helpful, when I was first wading into this "stuff".   They were very patient, and knowledgeable. And unlike the cable companies did not try to bundle services.  Just a simple explanation of what is available.

I also found You Tube with many instructional videos from the companies, and regular people very helpful as well. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rico said:

One quick question.  Will a cell phone "power" Roku?

First things first.  Understand I am a guy approaching his 73rd birthday.  I am far from a computer nerd.  What I learned to run HSN in the early days and the "Stuff" we are talking about now.... is purely self taught. But I love learning.  I am sure there are younger people who can come to an answer quicker and better than me.

With the above caveats, I am not sure I completely understand your question.... about a cell phone powering a Roku.

This may help :

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ 

The Roku's in my house are connected to a t.v. Basically plug into the tv and go.   My son has a Roku TV, which he loves, that does not require the Roku device. Everything is built in.

Also.... in terms of Hulu.  I opted for the unlimited device option.  A recent example of how that works...... my son picked up my wife at DIA this past Thursday. While sitting in the cell phone lot waiting for the plane to come in.... he watched a movie through Hulu on his smart phone.

I know. I know.  It gets confusing.  I still have cable.  But have cut my services.  And love, love, love Roku on which I can view Netflix, Hulu and so much, much more.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

One quick question.  Will a cell phone "power" Roku?

Like Mile, I'm not quite sure what you are asking and since I do not have a ROKU, couldn't answer anyway.

However, if you are looking into watching HULU and Netflix with your cell, they both have adequate APPS you can use on your cell.

Personally, I have an adapter that I plug my cell into that then plugs into an HDMI cable going to my TV. The adapter also has a plug end so you can plug the cell phone charger in as well and charge your phone while watching TV.

This is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WHV3BM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roku is a device, not a streaming service. Think of it as an internet-connected cable box. It plugs in to your TV, which displays the programming sent to it. Hulu is a subscription service you can access through a Roku device.

There are TVs now that have the Roku hardware integrated, so you don't need the separate device.

You could use a cell phone as a connection to the Roku if your phone was able to be used as a wifi hot spot.

That said, "smart tvs" skip the Roku step entirely and have the Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/etc software pre-loaded so you don't need a separate device, just an internet connection.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Roku is a device, not a streaming service. Think of it as an internet-connected cable box. It plugs in to your TV, which displays the programming sent to it. Hulu is a subscription service you can access through a Roku device.

There are TVs now that have the Roku hardware integrated, so you don't need the separate device.

You could use a cell phone as a connection to the Roku if your phone was able to be used as a wifi hot spot.

That said, "smart tvs" skip the Roku step entirely and have the Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/etc software pre-loaded so you don't need a separate device, just an internet connection.

Like this one, or better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTGM5I9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah.  I have two smart tv's. One is a 4KHDTV. And frankly, I get a  better picture when I go through Roku than the smart app on the tv, outside of a Roku.  I also have a Chromecast Ultra hooked up to that tv, along with a Roku. And have to say the Roku outperforms the Chromecast.  As long as Roku is doing the great job they currently are doing...I highly doubt I will ever buy another  non Roku smart  tv. Making sure is is a TCL. 

Drroogh.... a Roku smart tv is the way I would go... as my son has already done. The TCL Roku is a fabulous TV.... at an unbelieveably affordable cost.

Edited by milehiiu

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah.  I have two smart tv's. One is a 4KHDTV. And frankly, I get a  better picture when I go through Roku than the smart app on the tv, outside of a Roku.  I also have a Chromecast Ultra hooked up to that tv, along with a Roku. And have to say the Roku outperforms the Chromecast.  As long as Roku is doing the great job they currently are doing...I highly doubt I will ever buy another  non Roku smart  tv. Making sure is is a TCL. 

Drroogh.... a Roku smart tv is the way I would go... as my son has already done. The TCL Roku is a fabulous TV.... at an unbelieveably affordable cost.

How is the Roku connected compared to the TV itself? Both wifi, both hardwired or split?

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

How is the Roku connected compared to the TV itself? Both wifi, both hardwired or split?

IMHO.... All the Roku devices are excellent, and very affordable.  I have several. Including a Roku Ultra, which is the most expensive, at just under $100.  The devices simply plug into the tv.  Roku even has devices for those that have old, old tv's that don't have HMDI connections.  And for those that have their tv's close to their routers, there is an ethernet connection, which is said to be the best. I don't use an ethernet.  But I do advise using the highest power wifi connection from your provider.

One thing I love, is that when I add a channel on any device... it automatically adds the channel to every device. 

Needless to say.  I love Roku.

Roku Tutorial: The Basics of Roku. What is a Roku? 

Edited by milehiiu

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

IMHO.... All the Roku devices are excellent, and very affordable.  I have several. Including a Roku Ultra, which is the most expensive, at just under $100.  The devices simply plug into the tv.  Roku even has devices for those that have old, old tv's that don't have HMDI connections.  And for those that have their tv's close to their routers, there is an ethernet connection, which is said to be the best. I don't use an ethernet.  But I do advise using the highest power wifi connection from your provider.

One thing I love, is that when I add a channel on any device... it automatically adds the channel to every device. 

Needless to say.  I love Roku.

Roku Tutorial: The Basics of Roku. What is a Roku? 

I have both a Roku3 and a RokuTV, sales pitch not needed...lol.

Was asking about your particular connection because wifi will degrade resolution faster (exponentially faster) than ethernet, as will the length of the cable connecting the Roku to the TV. If the Ultra directly connects, all the better.

The fact that you notice a difference in the resolution between the Roku and the internal app is interesting. Never did a side by side comparison.

I go slightly overboard when it comes to my home network (and by slightly overboard, I mean using a nuclear missile to kill a mosquito levels). 4 TVs in my house, none use wifi. I have one dedicated coax in to my modem, one directly to the living room TiVo, and one going to an amplified splitter to serve the other 3 TVs. Network wise, I have Cat6 cable drops in every room all connected back to a gigabit switch. My old router is basically reduced to being a wireless access point. Only things that connect via wifi are phones/tablets,and occasionally laptops.

I have zero bandwidth issues, needless to say.. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I have both a Roku3 and a RokuTV, sales pitch not needed...lol.

Was asking about your particular connection because wifi will degrade resolution faster (exponentially faster) than ethernet, as will the length of the cable connecting the Roku to the TV. If the Ultra directly connects, all the better.

The fact that you notice a difference in the resolution between the Roku and the internal app is interesting. Never did a side by side comparison.

I go slightly overboard when it comes to my home network (and by slightly overboard, I mean using a nuclear missile to kill a mosquito levels). 4 TVs in my house, none use wifi. I have one dedicated coax in to my modem, one directly to the living room TiVo, and one going to an amplified splitter to serve the other 3 TVs. Network wise, I have Cat6 cable drops in every room all connected back to a gigabit switch. My old router is basically reduced to being a wireless access point. Only things that connect via wifi are phones/tablets,and occasionally laptops.

I have zero bandwidth issues, needless to say.. Lol.

Since as I have stated elsewhere my cell connection is several times faster than what I had available with DSL. I've got some serious bandwidth envy!

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

First things first.  Understand I am a guy approaching his 73rd birthday.  I am far from a computer nerd.  What I learned to run HSN in the early days and the "Stuff" we are talking about now.... is purely self taught. But I love learning.  I am sure there are younger people who can come to an answer quicker and better than me.

Mile, not far behind you!☺️. The last time I did any programming, was on punch cards in Fortran!  But keep on learning! That's what keeps us young!!!