I cut the cable. Now I need help.

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

No they don't. Hadn't thought of that. 

I looked at a lot of services before I committed to YTTV. They were the only ones that had everything I wanted as far as live TV and DVR options go.

I get HBO MAX free by being an ATT wireless customer. Foxnation for free for being a vet. Amazon Prime gets me their content. And I like the TubiTV app for old shows. We have a family Netflix account.

I use to be a sports junkie, but that's waned over time. As long as I can see all of IU's basketball games, see some news, and an occasional movie, I'm good. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh man, it’s almost YouTube TV season for me. I usually get it before every IUBB season and then cancel it when we flame out early. Here’s hoping I won’t be cancelling until after the tournament - since we will be enjoying a much deeper run this year. 

I started this last year. I have MLB.tv for the Braves, pick up YTTV for the MLB postseason, and let it ride all the way through the college basketball season and the NCAA Tournament. I only need cable channels for live sports, and only  for about half the year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

One writers reasoning for choosing YouTube Live over the others.

Try this link

Gives a pretty good review of all the services as they currently exist.

That's a fair assessment given my experience.  I'll add two things...

1. YouTube TV is missing the History channel, which was almost a non-starter for me until I realized I could add Philo and get that plus some Hallmark channels for the wife and a few other things not found on YTTV.  There's some duplication, but it helps with concurrent stream limitations as well.  Between YTTV and Philo, we didn't lose any channels from our Dish 250 package.
  2. YTTV allows for three concurrent streams, which is less than Hulu's concurrent allowance, BUT...YTTV is much more flexible with location.  Hulu's geographical stream limitations means you may be able to share with the next door neighbors, but not across town.  This was a big plus with YTTV...I can watch at the office while my wife watches at home and my mother-in-law watches at her apartment.  A 20-mile radius is usually not a problem, but my daughter in Indianapolis did eventually get froze out since she had different local channels than the rest of us.

They all have advantages and disadvantages, but for small households like my empty nest situation, YTTV and Philo are a good combination to get a lot of channels and some location flexibility.

• Like 2

Based on the above, I checked my Xfinity bill to see if YouTube TV might be a better option for me. I currently have my cable through Xfinity and a second service, Xfinity Stream, costs me $50/mo after the $20 discount for the package. I do pay an extra $37/mo for Broadcast and Regional Sports fees. Is that included with YouTube TV or in addition to the $65/mo?

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Based on the above, I checked my Xfinity bill to see if YouTube TV might be a better option for me. I currently have my cable through Xfinity and a second service, Xfinity Stream, costs me $50/mo after the $20 discount for the package. I do pay an extra $37/mo for Broadcast and Regional Sports fees. Is that included with YouTube TV or in addition to the $65/mo?

What does that include with Xfinity? I pay the $65 and get local channels, and all the sports channels I personally want... MLB Network, all of the Conference networks, ESPN ect

It basically mirrors the basic cable Xfinity. I started it 3 years ago just because I was familiar with the cable side and thought it would be easy. I use my Roku tv so I don't need a cable box. One downside is no Xfinity remote. Actually easy to carry my TV outside on a nice day if I want to watch from the patio.  Peacock Premium is included for free ( don't know for how long) but no MLB. 

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It basically mirrors the basic cable Xfinity. I started it 3 years ago just because I was familiar with the cable side and thought it would be easy. I use my Roku tv so I don't need a cable box. One downside is no Xfinity remote. Actually easy to carry my TV outside on a nice day if I want to watch from the patio.  Peacock Premium is included for free ( don't know for how long) but no MLB. 

I don't know what to tell you. I never had access to cable out here, just Dish and DirecTV... And YTTV beats the crap out of both of those... And no signal loss when it rains!

When I lived in Chicagoland, I had ATT's TV service (Uverse?) in an internet/wireless/TV package, and it was pricey... 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know what to tell you. I never had access to cable out here, just Dish and DirecTV... And YTTV beats the crap out of both of those... And no signal loss when it rains!

When I lived in Chicagoland, I had ATT's TV service (Uverse?) in an internet/wireless/TV package, and it was pricey... 

You have satellite internet service?

46 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You have satellite internet service?

No, AT&T Fiber... My Internet speeds are pretty good. It was strange. When I got here in 2013, they had AT&T DSL internet in my neighborhood, but no cable. About 2017 an AT&T truck was on our road and it advertised Fiber. I asked the driver when it'd be available and he said, "today's the first day we're installing out here, and if you want to be the first house, just say the word."

I was indeed the first house 🙂 

Edited by IUFLA

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Put your zip code into this link page and you'll see exactly what YTTV offers in your area:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw39uYBhCLARIsAD_SzMTHw_C5J7Y_FL6Mp9gD7KEmbsn1j40pdTZmdYRyViFkj6---Ph8B30aArStEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#panel-0

• Thanks 1

As an alternative for those who have limited options, (there are still growing pains), cellular home internet offers more options. Completely cutting the cable or fiber connection. Below is a write up of the options. I’ll say that I’ve been on T-Mobile’s home internet for two years and have been extremely happy with it as I really had no options in rural Georgia. Now that I’ve moved back north the service is less than it was but still serviceable.

Cellular home internet overview.

Edit: This explains why some get home internet and some don’t.

Edited by Drroogh