I cut the cable. Now I need help.

No, literally, cut the cable leading to my house, when I was tilling the vegetable garden, this morning. I've tilled that garden for years, and years. And that cable has been there for years and years as well. First time I have cut the cable.  LOL.    Guy will be here tomorrow to fix.

However, since Comcast (Xfinity) dropped the Big Ten Network from the channel lineup in Colorado.... I have been researching streaming services that offer the Big Ten Channel.

I don't intend to cut the cable, yet.  Hoping that Comcast, Xfinity or whatever they call themselves, reconnects the Big Ten Channel.  I've got till the football season, to make a decision.

And that is where I am requesting your input.

I have looked at a lot of streaming services.  So far, two stand out for me.  YouTubeTV,  and DirectTVNOW.  Both offer the Big Ten Network.  YouTubeTV, is less expensive.  DirectTVNOW offers several packages.  But the BTN is offered only on the higher tiers.  I also like DirectTVNOW, because you can set it up anywhere in the house or even outside, to multiple tv's , and they do offer a greater channel list than YouTubeTV.  Direct is more costly that YouTube.... but less than what I am currently paying for cable.  So pricing, for me is not an issue.

So here is my question :    Do any of you fine people utilize either of these two streaming services ?  How do you like them ?  Or are there others out there (I know there are) that you use.... keeping in mind, what I choose must offer the BTN , that you can recommend to me to checking them out ?

Thanks for any and all help.

GO HOOSIERS ! 

I recently switched from Vue to DirectTV Now and love it. The DVR is in beta still, but it seems very user friendly and easy to navigate. It's also a little easier to change channels without feeling interrupted when watching a program. 

That said, I watch it mostly on an Apple TV and I'm not sure how the UI will differ on a Roku. I can play around with it on my Roku and report back, if no one else has DirectTV Now on Roku. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I recently switched from Vue to DirectTV Now and love it. The DVR is in beta still, but it seems very user friendly and easy to navigate. It's also a little easier to change channels without feeling interrupted when watching a program. 

That said, I watch it mostly on an Apple TV and I'm not sure how the UI will differ on a Roku. I can play around with it on my Roku and report back, if no one else has DirectTV Now on Roku. 

Thanks Kob.   Utilzed Roku while my cable was out. Wife watched movies on Netflix on one of our Smart tv's.  Actually spend more time on Ruku than on cable tv.

Lot's of options out there, outside of cable.  Just trying to figure out what is best.  And I do thank you for your input. 

One of things I have spotted, checking out streaming services, is that there can be a lag, switching from one channel to the next.  Unlike with cable.  Have you found that to be th case or annoyance ? 

Let me know more as you learn more.   Thanks !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks Kob.   Utilzed Roku while my cable was out. Wife watched movies on Netflix on one of our Smart tv's.  Actually spend more time on Ruku than on cable tv.

Lot's of options out there, outside of cable.  Just trying to figure out what is best.  And I do thank you for your input. 

One of things I have spotted, checking out streaming services, is that there can be a lag, switching from one channel to the next.  Unlike with cable.  Have you found that to be th case or annoyance ? 

Let me know more as you learn more.   Thanks !

Sling and Vue that was definitely an issue. It doesn't seem to be with DirectTV Now. 

With the new update I can change channel swiping side to side or pull up the guide and have my program play in the background while I search, and the change feels seamless at least compared to the other two I've used. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sling and Vue that was definitely an issue. It doesn't seem to be with DirectTV Now. 

With the new update I can change channel swiping side to side or pull up the guide and have my program play in the background while I search, and the change feels seamless at least compared to the other two I've used. 

Thanks. I am really leaning more heavily towards DirectTVNow.  Son's friends have it. Same internet company as me.  Not affiliated to Direct, yet still works for them.... and they love DirectTVNow as well.  Do you have those little boxes, connectors, or what ever you call them ( I've forgotten what they call them) ?  I understand you can get up to 8 of them now.  I certainly could use 6 or more.  Just wondering what the additional cost for each is.

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks. I am really leaning more heavily towards DirectTVNow.  Son's friends have it. Same internet company as me.  Not affiliated to Direct, yet still works for them.... and they love DirectTVNow as well.  Do you have those little boxes, connectors, or what ever you call them ( I've forgotten what they call them) ?  I understand you can get up to 8 of them now.  I certainly could use 6 or more.  Just wondering what the additional cost for each is.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the boxes. I just stream through my Apple TV mostly, but my other TVs have a Roku and a Chromecast. They all seem to work fine. 

Maybe the boxes are for regular DirectTV service?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the boxes. I just stream through my Apple TV mostly, but my other TVs have a Roku and a Chromecast. They all seem to work fine. 

Maybe the boxes are for regular DirectTV service?

No. Not the satellite connection. Now I have the proper terminology.  What I understand is that, DircectTVNow has one main device.  Called a Genie. No Satellite.  Runs as a stream off of your internet connection, just like Roku.   Then for up to 8 other tv's.... you can use what they call a Genie mini.... either inside or outside of the house, that feed off of the Genie.  I am just curious as to the monthly rental of each Genie mini is.... I have seen them for sale on line as well. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

No. Not the satellite connection. Now I have the proper terminology.  What I understand is that, DircectTVNow has one main device.  Called a Genie. No Satellite.  Runs as a stream off of your internet connection, just like Roku.   Then for up to 8 other tv's.... you can use what they call a Genie mini.... either inside or outside of the house, that feed off of the Genie.  I am just curious as to the monthly rental of each Genie mini is.... I have seen them for sale on line as well. 

Okay, the Genies are part of DirecTV satellite service. Those aren't a part of DirecTV Now. 

I believe DirecTV, like most cable providers, has a streaming service as part of the service but that is different than DirecTV Now. IIRC, you get two streams for free with DirecTV Now but can pay for more. I have me, my wife and a toddler so two suits us fine. We have the just right package which gets BTN, plus we have HBO. 

Well, that puts a wrinkle into my thoughts about DirectTVNow.  As I would like to set up at least 6 tv's on a streaming service. Like I currently have on cable. So let me ask you another question. Currently, I have 4 Rokus set up. On Playstation Vue, and Chromecast Ultra.  Would I be able to use DirectTVNow through these devices ? 

Thanks for all your help.

They do offer a free trial period, as do other streaming services.  But I wanted to find out more, before even using the free trial period.  

19 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm in the same boat. You tube allows 3, but I still would like more.

Yep. Same boat.  One issue is that in order to get the BTN on DirectTVNow, you have to purchase one of the higher tiers.  If I could go with the lowest tier, and get the BTN, then I might consider keeping cable, and just get DirectTVNow for the BTN.  And settle for just two tv's for games. 

I do like what DirectTVNow has to offer.  We have give local channels in Denver. And DTVNow offers all but one.  The fact that there is no contract, and one can jump in and out is a plus.  

Another thing I found out is you can purchase two DTVNow accounts.... which means you can have up to 4 compatible tv's.  Still not ideal, IMHO.  The satellite Direct with the Genies is very appealing now... but I would rather stay away from satellite, and just have streaming.

Again... the big thing is to be able to get the BTN again.  Right now I envy those that Comcast considers the BTN "footprint".... not having to face this issue.  Crazy that I live in Colorado, and Comcast offers me the ACC channel, the SEC channel, and of course, the PAC 12..... but no BTN.

Still time to check other streaming services out... and maybe DTVNow will offer more tv's to watch in the future.  Thanks for you input as well.  Reacher. 

Edited by milehiiu

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Just to be clear, you can have as many devices set up as you want with most of these services. The stream limit is with regards to simultaneous streaming. Unless you are planning to have all 6 TVs on at once I don't think it will be an issue. 

I just don't want to move things around from one set to the other.  Like I don't have to do now with cable.  It is not uncommon for me when I have a gathering over for  big games to have at least 6 sets all on at the same time, for everyone to see from all over the house and even outside.  RIght now, I can have six sets viewing the same station at one time. 

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I just don't want to move things around from one set to the other.  Like I don't have to do now with cable.  It is not uncommon for me when I have a gathering over for  big games to have at least 6 sets all on at the same time, for everyone to see from all over the house and even outside.  RIght now, I can have six sets viewing the same station at one time. 

Well if you are actually watching all 6 at the same time then DirecTV Now is probably not a great option for you, based on what I know. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well if you are actually watching all 6 at the same time then DirecTV Now is probably not a great option for you, based on what I know. 

Yeah.  Feel like I am stuck in rock, between a hard place.  So I called Comcast/Xfinity today... expressing my feelings about their dropping the BTN . And kept asking what their plans were to do about it.  Kept getting moved up the ladder. To a guy who claimed he had final say so.... and he said... as of today, June 5..... have progressed (or not progressed) to the point where Comcast most likely will be dropping the BTN in August for the entire U.S of A.  !

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It was the last time i had it.  They must have dropped them.  That sucks.  DirectTV Now is ok.  I have not tried the new YouTube tv but it has BTN

Two peas in a pod. You and I.  I can feel your pain.  Supposedly, Comcast made the announcement they would be dropping the BTN in non-footprint states, weeks before they did. I never saw it.  Just was shocked the day I turned the BTN on, and there was a statement saying the BTN was no longer a part of Comcast, here in Colorado.  It was part of a sports tier... which I was happy to pay extra for.  So when I called to complain.... I dropped the sports tier all together.

Yes... right now DirectTVNow and YouTubeTV look good to me.  Hulu tv through Roku is another option.  I like the top tier of DirectTVNow, with it's many options, if I completely cut the cable. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Two peas in a pod. You and I.  I can feel your pain.  Supposedly, Comcast made the announcement they would be dropping the BTN in non-footprint states, weeks before they did. I never saw it.  Just was shocked the day I turned the BTN on, and there was a statement saying the BTN was no longer a part of Comcast, here in Colorado.  It was part of a sports tier... which I was happy to pay extra for.  So when I called to complain.... I dropped the sports tier all together.

Yes... right now DirectTVNow and YouTubeTV look good to me.  Hulu tv through Roku is another option.  I like the top tier of DirectTVNow, with it's many options, if I completely cut the cable. 

I have cut the cable about 3 times. Once to Sling, then to DirecTV Now, then back to Sling.  Youtube looks interesting nad if i can get my local channels live, i will cut it again over the summer

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I was doing some research and found that hulutv had most of the channels I wanted, but I am on a directv contract now so I will look into it again in a few months.