I cut the cable. Now I need help.

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

I was doing some research and found that hulutv had most of the channels I wanted, but I am on a directv contract now so I will look into it again in a few months.

Yeah. It's really kind of confusing.  The most important thing for me to to regain access to the BTN.  But doing my research, several of the streaming channels allow for local tv. Kind of critical as well.  To say I am confused right now, especially in cutting the cable for good is an understatement. 

• Haha 1

As I continue my quest to find a streaming service that supplies the BTN... I tend to find all kind of things that add to my confusion.  Just every time I think I have found a solution.  Something crops up.  For Instance Hulu Live TV offers the BTN.  And... and... for just $15.00 a month offers unlimited number of streams within your house.  So... I am thinking... I have finally found a solution to what I am searching for in terms of over the top streaming solutions.....   BUT, then.... I discover that Hulu Live TV is still in Beta ! ANd has been for months.  With issues to be solved. 

What to do ?  What to do ?  LOL

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

As I continue my quest to find a streaming service that supplies the BTN... I tend to find all kind of things that add to my confusion.  Just every time I think I have found a solution.  Something crops up.  For Instance Hulu Live TV offers the BTN.  And... and... for just $15.00 a month offers unlimited number of streams within your house.  So... I am thinking... I have finally found a solution to what I am searching for in terms of over the top streaming solutions.....   BUT, then.... I discover that Hulu Live TV is still in Beta ! ANd has been for months.  With issues to be solved. 

What to do ?  What to do ?  LOL

I'm with ya.... At least I don't (yet) have any urgency. So I procrastinate and monitor my options. YouTube was probably best for me but I do not like how they censor things (Church/ politics/ guns/ etc) so DirectTVNOW would be my next choice. Might just have to get an extra account for the kids. 

12 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm with ya.... At least I don't (yet) have any urgency. So I procrastinate and monitor my options. YouTube was probably best for me but I do not like how they censor things (Church/ politics/ guns/ etc) so DirectTVNOW would be my next choice. Might just have to get an extra account for the kids. 

So today, I am thinking.  Most of these streamers offer a free trial.  So why not.  Figured I would give DTN a shot.  Got on the net using my Firefox browser, to find out AT&T (Direct) does not allow Firefox, due to proprietary reasons.  Says to use Google Chrome.  So, I download, Google Chrome, and I am told my MacPro is too old to update the latest versions of Google Chrome.

Then I decide I will check HuluTV Live.  I add on the unlimited screens for $15.00/month.  Go to the tv, where we already had the Hulu on demand under my son's name.  And low and behold, I see I am being welcomed to Hulu !   I'm getting excited.  Finally will be able to watch the BTN, even though it is off season.  However, I can't get Hulu Live TV.  Just on Demand, albeit more options than before.

So I get online for Hulu Customer support.  Message them with my issue. And they message me back that a tech will be calling.  She did, and she was very nice.  Turns out all of my Roku devices are too old and will not support HuluTV Live.  I have a Chromecast Ultra, she said will support Hulu live.  But I like the Roku, because the Chromecast for me is too hard to set up.

I just ordered, a top of the line Roku Ultra, which will allow me to try HuluTV Live.   The tech reversed the free trial. And I will try again in 7 to 10 days, when my Roku Ultra arrives.

31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So today, I am thinking.  Most of these streamers offer a free trial.  So why not.  Figured I would give DTN a shot.  Got on the net using my Firefox browser, to find out AT&T (Direct) does not allow Firefox, due to proprietary reasons.  Says to use Google Chrome.  So, I download, Google Chrome, and I am told my MacPro is too old to update the latest versions of Google Chrome.

Then I decide I will check HuluTV Live.  I add on the unlimited screens for $15.00/month.  Go to the tv, where we already had the Hulu on demand under my son's name.  And low and behold, I see I am being welcomed to Hulu !   I'm getting excited.  Finally will be able to watch the BTN, even though it is off season.  However, I can't get Hulu Live TV.  Just on Demand, albeit more options than before.

So I get online for Hulu Customer support.  Message them with my issue. And they message me back that a tech will be calling.  She did, and she was very nice.  Turns out all of my Roku devices are too old and will not support HuluTV Live.  I have a Chromecast Ultra, she said will support Hulu live.  But I like the Roku, because the Chromecast for me is too hard to set up.

I just ordered, a top of the line Roku Ultra, which will allow me to try HuluTV Live.   The tech reversed the free trial. And I will try again in 7 to 10 days, when my Roku Ultra arrives.

Good Luck to you!

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Good Luck to you!

Thanks. I appreciate it.  One thing.  I have never been one to give up.  But this new technology is both confusing and exciting to me at the same time.  Keep in mind, I am from a time before remotes,  where one actually had to get up off their chair to change the station, and when color tv was a BIG thing. 

Most if not all I know about the internet, and stuff, is self taught.  By trial and error. Much like what I am doing here.  I am far from a tech guru.... but the funny thing is, I have had family members and friends come to me asking for help.

Honestly, think I will have my BTN issues solved once my upgraded Roku gets to the house.   I'll keep you all posted.  And thanks for taking part in my silly escape to chase the BTN.

HULU Live TV and milehiiu..... onward and upward !   LOL

UPDATE:

I got my Roku Ultra in the mail yesterday. And installed it this morning.  With the help of the same lady from Hulu was able to connect to Hulu Live TV.   Am now watching the BTN .   Plus I got the upgrade for unlimited devices.  I can watch the BTN (as well as many other channels) on any tv in the house, and outside as well.  I don't use a smart phone. But I could watch the BTN live if I had a smart phone.   It's early, but so far I am thrilled with Hulu Live TV.  Picture and sound are terrific. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 12:35 PM, milehiiu said:

UPDATE:

I got my Roku Ultra in the mail yesterday. And installed it this morning.  With the help of the same lady from Hulu was able to connect to Hulu Live TV.   Am now watching the BTN .   Plus I got the upgrade for unlimited devices.  I can watch the BTN (as well as many other channels) on any tv in the house, and outside as well.  I don't use a smart phone. But I could watch the BTN live if I had a smart phone.   It's early, but so far I am thrilled with Hulu Live TV.  Picture and sound are terrific. 

Mile, DTV Now is offering a great promotion where if you prepay for 3 months they will give you a free 4k Apple tv.  So for $105 thats the basic package times 3 you're getting a free 4k Apple tv which sells for over $150.  A no risk way to try it out for a few months.  Just thought I'd mention it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Mile, DTV Now is offering a great promotion where if you prepay for 3 months they will give you a free 4k Apple tv.  So for $105 thats the basic package times 3 you're getting a free 4k Apple tv which sells for over $150.  A no risk way to try it out for a few months.  Just thought I'd mention it.  

I prefer Apple TV to Roku. And that is coming from an android guy. 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I appreciate that. Only problem is that AT&T, will not recognize any of the browsers I use. Including the one's I have updated, per their request.  So for now, I am staying with HULU live tv.... which I am loving. It's been too much of a hassle with DTV, while Hulu has been a breeze for me.   Been watching movies on my back patio at night. I upgraded for all devices, and it is working great. The wife loves watching her favorite channels on her phone.    Really, really great. 

Edited by milehiiu

Agree with you dbm.  They all seem to have content issues.  My first choice was DTV, but, like I said.... I can't access it with my current browsers.  Even updating them per AT&T does no good.  Hulu was a snap to load, and upgrade. 

I am not much of a movie watcher.   Though we did that outside the other night.  So not having AMC is no biggie for me.  The thing I needed most was the Big Ten Channel, which I can get on Hulu.

Also... if you are a movie buff..    Roku has about a half dozen free movie channels.  And they seem to keep adding more and more. 

And of course there is Netflex. 

• 2 weeks later...

An update as of July 11,2018 as far as my adventures.  Had some issues with Hulu. Cross contaminating the Hulu account we set up years ago, with the new Hulu Live TV account recently set up.  Could not get Hulu Live TV to play on all my tv's with Roku, even though I opted for the unlimited device option.  Was getting half of the tv's getting the basic Hulu and half getting Hulu Live TV.  Must say that most if not all the issues were  because of  my limited understanding of how to set up things on the internet.  Anyway, the young lady from Hulu was very patient and understanding.  Willing to spend all the time I needed to get things straightened out on my end. She even called back twice in the day, just to make sure everything was working the way it should.

Next.... onto my 4HD big screen in the kitchen.  This one, I hooked up a Chromecast Ultra to. Because we have a Google Home in the kitchen. And since Chromecast does not utilize a remote (an smart phone us used as a remote), my hope would be that I could use my Google Home to give voice commands for Hulu Live TV.  Only to find out that currently Cromecast is not set up for Hulu voice commands.  I can use the Google Home for voice commands for other things live You Tube, but not Hulu Live TV at present.

I do not own a smart phone. But, luckily, my son gave me one of his, that he no longer uses.  And now, I can watch Hulu Live TV utilizing Chromecast on my Kitchen TV.... and most importantly, I can get the Big Ten Channel there once again.  Remember.... what started this all in motion was my cable company, Comcast dropped the Big Ten Channel this past Spring.

So, now, I am this much closer to cutting the cable.... all together. 

19 minutes ago, HoosierTownie said:

Glad I found this thread.  Getting ready to move and am really keen on going streaming for my TV needs.  Hulu question for Mile (or anyone else who knows), does it include NFL Network?  Not seeing it in the channel line up.

Since my primary objective was to find a streaming service that offers the Big Ten Network.... when I found it on Hulu (as well as DirectTVNow).... I did not look for the NFL Network.  I just checked HuluLiveTV, and currently the NFL Network is not offered.  However, that may change over time, as HuluLiveTV is adding channels all the time.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Since my primary objective was to find a streaming service that offers the Big Ten Network.... when I found it on Hulu (as well as DirectTVNow).... I did not look for the NFL Network.  I just checked HuluLiveTV, and currently the NFL Network is not offered.  However, that may change over time, as HuluLiveTV is adding channels all the time.

Thanks for checking.  Difficult decision to make.  Like you, I need to stream more than 2 TV's simultaneously, Playstation Vue allows up to 5, but the price is about the same as Hulu with the unlimited option, but does include the  NFL Network.  It also appears that Vue provides access to things like BTN2Go, WatchESPN, etc on mobile and other devices, which is something I would take advantage of, not sure if you can do this with Hulu.

I found a nice comparison article on streaming TV services HERE, you can also link to individual reviews of of each service from the article.

Looks like the best move is to take advantage of the free trials once I get moved in.  And it's nice that most (if not all) of them are month to month.

1 hour ago, HoosierTownie said:

Thanks for checking.  Difficult decision to make.  Like you, I need to stream more than 2 TV's simultaneously, Playstation Vue allows up to 5, but the price is about the same as Hulu with the unlimited option, but does include the  NFL Network.  It also appears that Vue provides access to things like BTN2Go, WatchESPN, etc on mobile and other devices, which is something I would take advantage of, not sure if you can do this with Hulu.

I found a nice comparison article on streaming TV services HERE, you can also link to individual reviews of of each service from the article.

Looks like the best move is to take advantage of the free trials once I get moved in.  And it's nice that most (if not all) of them are month to month.

You are welcome.

Townie here is a website, you and others may find helpful.

Cord Cutters News - All the news cord cutters need about cord cutting! Covering, Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Netflix, Hulu, & More!

He also provides a bunch of videos on You Tube. Such as this one.

Cord Cutting Q&A - YouTube

Also found this which deals directly with the NFL Network for cord cutters.

How to Watch The NFL Network Without Cable - Your Top 3 Options

Edited by milehiiu

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

😀Mile , I am pleased with my Dish Network ! With my sports package I get a HUGE number of Fox Sports Channels , The SEC Network , The B10 Network , the Pac 12 Network , The Texas Longhorn network ,the BYU Network to watch BYU games , MESN & MESN 2  ,  STO , etc !

For some reason my Xfinity package has lost the Pac 12 network and ESPN Classic in the last year.

Having dealt with cable company issues recently myself, I am considering "Cutting the cord" as well. Good information in this thread so far. Anyone have any further updates on their personal experiences with the different services mentioned above?

Truth be told, It seems as if I am paying close to $200 a month for cable and internet. I would like to clarify on this first:

I only have basic cable. NON HD. No DVR and no premium channels except HBO which USED to be included free. (It is now $15 a month)

I have 3 cable boxes in the house: Living room - Master bedroom - Kids bedroom  (I pay extra for 2 of those boxes)

My internet package is the tier just above the middle of the pack. nothing super fast but what SHOULD be above average speeds. (it seems to fluctuate often)

I am not using the "newest technology or equipment" and am not indulging in the "advanced packages" with every channel and station nor do I have lightning fast internet service or speeds but feel I am still paying too much $ for what I am getting.

I watch more movies and sports with a small handful of cable channels containing a few shows me and my GF enjoy, but other than that, I do not utilize many of the offered stations & feel streaming might be a more economical option for me.

What would those on here recommend I use to stream with?  Roku - Firestick - PS4 - Chromecast - any other devices i might be missing?

*must say that I am NOT an apple guy, No apple tv for me*

I appreciate any and all input on the topic.

Tiz.  In terms of streaming devices, I have four Roku's and one Chromecast Ultra.  My personal preference is the Roku because they come with a remote. While  with the Chromecast Ultra, you have to sync to a smart phone and use the phone as a remote.  The cost for the Roku is tiered.  One and two cost the least, then they bump the price for each time you add two or more.  

Roku and Hulu stream in HD only.  So the picture quality alone should be worth the effort for you to cut the cable.  Of course, I am assuming you have an HD tv. 

Hi All;  saw this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents.  I was with DTV for over 10 years and my bill was $140/month.  I recently discovered YouTube TV for $40/month so I bought the ROKU Ultra.  My only consideration for moving to YouTube was that they had the Big Ten Network and I saved $100 month.  Yes there are some missing channels that I miss but overall I am glad I moved.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2018 at 9:15 PM, Tiz10 said:

Having dealt with cable company issues recently myself, I am considering "Cutting the cord" as well. Good information in this thread so far. Anyone have any further updates on their personal experiences with the different services mentioned above?

Truth be told, It seems as if I am paying close to $200 a month for cable and internet. I would like to clarify on this first:

I only have basic cable. NON HD. No DVR and no premium channels except HBO which USED to be included free. (It is now $15 a month)

I have 3 cable boxes in the house: Living room - Master bedroom - Kids bedroom  (I pay extra for 2 of those boxes)

My internet package is the tier just above the middle of the pack. nothing super fast but what SHOULD be above average speeds. (it seems to fluctuate often)

I am not using the "newest technology or equipment" and am not indulging in the "advanced packages" with every channel and station nor do I have lightning fast internet service or speeds but feel I am still paying too much $ for what I am getting.

I watch more movies and sports with a small handful of cable channels containing a few shows me and my GF enjoy, but other than that, I do not utilize many of the offered stations & feel streaming might be a more economical option for me.

What would those on here recommend I use to stream with?  Roku - Firestick - PS4 - Chromecast - any other devices i might be missing?

*must say that I am NOT an apple guy, No apple tv for me*

I appreciate any and all input on the topic.

I am not an Apple guy either but I do actually like Apple TV a lot. At one point DirectTV Now was including an Apple TV with 3 months prepaid - it was a great deal. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I am not an Apple guy either but I do actually like Apple TV a lot. At one point DirectTV Now was including an Apple TV with 3 months prepaid - it was a great deal. 

Just a few questions if you dont mind.

Not being an "apple guy", do you still have to create an iTunes account or an apple account of any kind to use the services or equipment related to apple tv?

When you say "including and apple tv with 3 months prepaid"   are you saying they give you an apple brand television set or is that in reference to the apple tv receiver box?

If its a television itself: what size?    If its just the apple tv receiver box: how much are they by themselves?

How much do you pay a month for the apple tv services? Cancel anytime?

Thanks in advance