I cut the cable. Now I need help.

19 hours ago, Tiz10 said:

Just a few questions if you dont mind.

Not being an "apple guy", do you still have to create an iTunes account or an apple account of any kind to use the services or equipment related to apple tv?

When you say "including and apple tv with 3 months prepaid"   are you saying they give you an apple brand television set or is that in reference to the apple tv receiver box?

If its a television itself: what size?    If its just the apple tv receiver box: how much are they by themselves?

How much do you pay a month for the apple tv services? Cancel anytime?

Thanks in advance

Great questions. 

I think you do need an Apple account to use the Apple TV; I have always had an Apple account even though I have Android phones and Windows PC. Not sure how else you'd download the needed apps. 

The three months of prepaid service gets you the Apple TV box, you still use your TV. IIRC, it's a 32GB version with 4k and retails for $150. 

There is no monthly fee for Apple TV. You use the box to download the apps you use (Netflix, Hulu, DirectTV Now, etc). Those apps have monthly fees (many I assume you already have, you would just want a streaming TV app instead of cable). I use DirectTV Now for that, it gets all the major sports channels and can cancel any time. I've also used PS Vue, Hulu Live and Sling and like DirectTV Now the best, but I also got $15/month off and free HBO when I went with that because I was getting a new phone through AT&T. 

Going off the top of my head I pay about $60/month for Hulu, Netflix, HBO and DirectTV Now. I have the second fastest AT&T internet and pay $75/month for that, so $135 all in for internet and TV watching. 

Edited by KoB2011

• 2 weeks later...

Comcast and the B1G Ten Network came to terms on Aug. 21.  However, here in Colorado, as before, in order to watch the B1G Ten Network, you have to cough up an additional $10.00 for the Sports/Entertainment package.  Plus, we have never had an alternative B1G Ten Network channel with Comcast. And the Indiana/Ball State game was not available in Colorado on Comcast. So, if I had gone back to Comcast for the Sports Channel, I would not have been able to see last Saturday's game.  

Conversely, Hulu Live TV has all B1G Ten Channels.  Not only was I able to view IU's game, but every one of the 8 other games broadcast by the B1G Ten Channel. Additionally, for no extra charge I can DVR games on Hulu. 

• 2 weeks later...

After looking into the available options and using the information you guys have provided here, Im getting a better understanding of what devices/plans are right for me. although, I have a few more questions for those that are enjoying  cable free entertainment. upon my research i am learning about the different devices you can use to stream your content and also how the devices use your bandwidth. from what i understand, most ISP these days allow you only so much data per month. (i have provided a screenshot of my own for example, at the bottom of this page) I have read where people have noticed that they are using up all the data allowed in only a few days or weeks due to how much usage the devices require. My question now to my HSN friends that utilize these services: have you noticed and increase or spike in your data usage? has your ISP bill been a little more than other months here and there? Streaming full HD content and especially 4K content can use up a considerable amount of gigs if used excessively. Unfortunetly i am under contract with comcast until next august & im sure there will be some changes between now and then regarding prices/devices/technology/available content/efficiency and so forth but,  would like to hear if anyone else has done any digging into this data usage issue. Thanks in advance.

data.thumb.png.7b555aca500b33eea11aa944e140eb16.png

1 hour ago, Tiz10 said:

After looking into the available options and using the information you guys have provided here, Im getting a better understanding of what devices/plans are right for me. although, I have a few more questions for those that are enjoying  cable free entertainment. upon my research i am learning about the different devices you can use to stream your content and also how the devices use your bandwidth. from what i understand, most ISP these days allow you only so much data per month. (i have provided a screenshot of my own for example, at the bottom of this page) I have read where people have noticed that they are using up all the data allowed in only a few days or weeks due to how much usage the devices require. My question now to my HSN friends that utilize these services: have you noticed and increase or spike in your data usage? has your ISP bill been a little more than other months here and there? Streaming full HD content and especially 4K content can use up a considerable amount of gigs if used excessively. Unfortunetly i am under contract with comcast until next august & im sure there will be some changes between now and then regarding prices/devices/technology/available content/efficiency and so forth but,  would like to hear if anyone else has done any digging into this data usage issue. Thanks in advance.

data.thumb.png.7b555aca500b33eea11aa944e140eb16.png

That's a ton of data to go through if you aren't using streaming now. Or are you already mostly streaming?

^^ Tiz. I don't know what I am about to say will address your question.  And as KOB is saying, I am not sure if we are confusing things here.

So... I will state, what I have.  Unlimited data plan via Verizon on our I-phones.  And my internet service at their highest power,  is provided by Century Link ( with a lifetime lock on price, and only pay $9.00/mo for land line with unlimited long distance service.  I use a Roku streaming device. Though I do have a Chromecast Ultra, but don't use, because they don't have a remote like Roku, and make you use a smart phone as a remote.  And have a HuluTv account, which I pay an addition $10.00/month over their base price  for unlimited streaming devices ( phones, tv's etc.). 

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's a ton of data to go through if you aren't using streaming now. Or are you already mostly streaming?

At this time do I RARELY stream longer than 3-4 episodes or 1 maybe 2 movies every other day or so. I work 12 hour days at least 3 days of the week myself while my GF goes to school 5 days and works a few evenings a week as well. we have a 10 yr old non verbal autistic child who streams youtube consistently while he's home along with our own phones and my PS4 as i like online gaming. that is what is contributing to our data usage which isnt much at this time. my concern is when I am solely dependent on streaming, especially in full HD everytime we turn on our tv and with our web browsing and gaming on top of that, my data usage will go up significantly.  Once again, this is contingent upon my "allowed data per month" will stay the same after i cut the cord. I am unsure that if I cut the cord,and they supply internet only, if that allowance will go down or stay the same. I have seen instances of the ISP charging a certain $ amount per gig over your allowance and im sure there are different prices and penalties for the different carriers. As you can see @milehiiu I do not have "unlimited", as my provider has a cap, so for my case it seems i would have to be mindful of my usage. @KoB2011 from your experience, do you think that the amount of gigs provided to me above would be sufficient to stream full hd for a month without fear of over usage?

4 hours ago, Tiz10 said:

At this time do I RARELY stream longer than 3-4 episodes or 1 maybe 2 movies every other day or so. I work 12 hour days at least 3 days of the week myself while my GF goes to school 5 days and works a few evenings a week as well. we have a 10 yr old non verbal autistic child who streams youtube consistently while he's home along with our own phones and my PS4 as i like online gaming. that is what is contributing to our data usage which isnt much at this time. my concern is when I am solely dependent on streaming, especially in full HD everytime we turn on our tv and with our web browsing and gaming on top of that, my data usage will go up significantly.  Once again, this is contingent upon my "allowed data per month" will stay the same after i cut the cord. I am unsure that if I cut the cord,and they supply internet only, if that allowance will go down or stay the same. I have seen instances of the ISP charging a certain $ amount per gig over your allowance and im sure there are different prices and penalties for the different carriers. As you can see @milehiiu I do not have "unlimited", as my provider has a cap, so for my case it seems i would have to be mindful of my usage. @KoB2011 from your experience, do you think that the amount of gigs provided to me above would be sufficient to stream full hd for a month without fear of over usage?

I can sympathize with the child who watches a lot of YouTube, I have one of those as well. Have you thought about downloading some of the favorite videos?

I think you're using a lot of data on gaming. You use more than me currently and the main difference you listed is the online gaming. You could always look into buying more data up front?

I use about 600-700GB/month currently. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I can sympathize with the child who watches a lot of YouTube, I have one of those as well. Have you thought about downloading some of the favorite videos?

I think you're using a lot of data on gaming. You use more than me currently and the main difference you listed is the online gaming. You could always look into buying more data up front?

I use about 600-700GB/month currently. 

Would you happened to have misconstrued the information from the pic I posted by chance?  If I'm not mistaken, i read it as: I am currently using just under 200GB/month without excessive HD streaming. I am allowed up to 1024GB/month (with 869 remaining for september). If I was to add another 600-700GB/month same as you use (keeping the 200 GB to compensate for my gaming), I would still be under the 1024GB. It would be close though. 20180927_225443.thumb.png.9a88cb5085e90f919d31939bdc869cc1.png

The more i read and talk with you guys on here about this, the more I convince myself that ditching cable would be the right choice for me lol. Next August is when my cable contract is fulfilled, it seems so far away....

Edited by Tiz10

Tiz and KoB.... my heart goes out to both of you. 

May I suggest that you contact your carriers.  To see what, if anything they would be willing to do for you.  In my case, I have asked, and some have been more than willing to help. For instance Century Link went over and above about locking in a lifetime price due to our loyalty with them.  And after my wife went into a Verizon store recently,  and inquired about specials for veterans and other programs.... she and I will be going to Verizon shortly to get a reduced rate for vets. 

It never hurts to ask. And over the years, I have found that many companies have programs that are not made public.   Even if they say no, at first.... wait and ask again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tiz10 said:

Would you happened to have misconstrued the information from the pic I posted by chance?  If I'm not mistaken, i read it as: I am currently using just under 200GB/month without excessive HD streaming. I am allowed up to 1024GB/month (with 869 remaining for september). If I was to add another 600-700GB/month same as you use (keeping the 200 GB to compensate for my gaming), I would still be under the 1024GB. It would be close though. 20180927_225443.thumb.png.9a88cb5085e90f919d31939bdc869cc1.png

The more i read and talk with you guys on here about this, the more I convince myself that ditching cable would be the right choice for me lol. Next August is when my cable contract is fulfilled, it seems so far away....

I definitely misread it. Yes, I think you'll be more than fine. 

• 3 months later...

OK so this "Old Man" has somehow gone before HULU and left them behind. I have completely cut the cord and solely rely on cellular for my internet! Unfortunately, when I signed on to HULU tonight in order to watch the game my phone was blocked!!!!!!!! Chatted with HULU support and found out that unless I have a physical ISP address HULUwill not allow me to connect??? I commented that with the advent of 5G there would be a lot more customers like me that rely on cellular and HULU needs to catch up!!!! Who would imagine that an antique like me would be ahead of HULU's NEW live TV service? Still, going to try and find a work around and make HULU work the way I want it to work! That's just who I am!

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

OK so this "Old Man" has somehow gone before HULU and left them behind. I have completely cut the cord and solely rely on cellular for my internet! Unfortunately, when I signed on to HULU tonight in order to watch the game my phone was blocked!!!!!!!! Chatted with HULU support and found out that unless I have a physical ISP address HULUwill not allow me to connect??? I commented that with the advent of 5G there would be a lot more customers like me that rely on cellular and HULU needs to catch up!!!! Who would imagine that an antique like me would be ahead of HULU's NEW live TV service? Still, going to try and find a work around and make HULU work the way I want it to work! That's just who I am!

I think you're going to be an outlier on not having home internet for a good while. 

• 2 months later...

I'll normally jump in on tech discussions, but this is something I've never investigated.  The city I live in actually has cable tv/internet available as a part of our utilities.  I get 100-some odd channels, plus HBO for about $45 a month, and after the first 12 months, no contract.  No BTN, but I wind up listening to the TuneIn radio stream more often than not anyway. 

To me, not worth the hassle for $45 a month.  If it was $150-200 a month just for the TV portion like I've seen, then yes, absolutely. 

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'll normally jump in on tech discussions, but this is something I've never investigated.  The city I live in actually has cable tv/internet available as a part of our utilities.  I get 100-some odd channels, plus HBO for about $45 a month, and after the first 12 months, no contract.  No BTN, but I wind up listening to the TuneIn radio stream more often than not anyway. 

To me, not worth the hassle for $45 a month.  If it was $150-200 a month just for the TV portion like I've seen, then yes, absolutely. 

This would be awesome and I am envious. Back when I had cable (3 years ago now) with ATT package in 3 rooms, DVR, HD,etc.....plus high speed internet I was clipping $200+ per month easy. Now I just have high speed internet and Netflix. $70 per month. Everything else I need sports wise I can usually figure out a way to get for free....just need about 5 email addresses. 

8 hours ago, rico said:

3 pages........what is the best solution?

It all depends on your particular situation and what is available to you. For Zline cutting the cord makes no sense, for me where the ONLY DSL was actually slower than my cell service, going cellular makes sense. In terms of streaming, again it depends on your needs and inclinations, for instance I refuse to use YouTube because it is owned by Google. I actually read the Google Terms and Conditions and avoid them like the plague!! Short answer there is no one size fits all answer!

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

It all depends on your particular situation and what is available to you. For Zline cutting the cord makes no sense, for me where the ONLY DSL was actually slower than my cell service, going cellular makes sense. In terms of streaming, again it depends on your needs and inclinations, for instance I refuse to use YouTube because it is owned by Google. I actually read the Google Terms and Conditions and avoid them like the plague!! Short answer there is no one size fits all answer!

Not what I wanted to hear.......LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Separate Android line/device for streaming. Rooted. Location services disabled. Spoof GPS locator installed. Set geocoordinates to Manitoba or Barbados.

Google account name: random character string. Name: "Bob **ckyougoogle"

YouTube app disabled. Firefox browser. Adblock Plus.

Enjoy YouTube.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Separate Android line/device for streaming. Rooted. Location services disabled. Spoof GPS locator installed. Set geocoordinates to Manitoba or Barbados.

Google account name: random character string. Name: "Bob **ckyougoogle"

YouTube app disabled. Firefox browser. Adblock Plus.

Enjoy YouTube.

Sorry, but Android is also Google! Not going there!:cheers:

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Can't access your personal information if theres none on the device, and it can't assess your location.

Oh, VPN. Forgot the VPN.

Not sure about YouTube but I know HULU is VERY aggressive about blocking VPN servers. Found that out much to my dismay when I tried to connect while I was in England. Luckily ESPN was not so aggressive!

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not sure about YouTube but I know HULU is VERY aggressive about blocking VPN servers. Found that out much to my dismay when I tried to connect while I was in England. Luckily ESPN was not so aggressive!

Will Hulu let you stream via browser on a tablet, or do they force everything to the app?

Never tried spoofing an IP, but assuming it's possible on a rooted device.