I cut the cable. Now I need help.

So I gave DISH the boot yesterday...Just got tired of their crap with never notifying you when your contract is up and dropping channels for long periods of time.

Subscribed to YouTube TV...Couldn't be happier so far...

The TV in our living room is an older (2016 I think) Samsung that didn't have the YouTube TV app available (I have no earthly idea why)...the 55 incher in my man cave has it, but it's a 2020 model) so I ended up getting Google Chromecast forthe living room TV...

I haven't tried some of the other TV streaming devices except for Roku (native on our bedroom TV) but Google Chromecast seems to me to be a great option. We have YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, HBOMax (free with our wireless plan) and Netfix, and Google TV organizes all of the content that we subscribe to on the startup page which is nice (supposedly gets better over time as it sees your viewing habits) and the built into the remote Google Assistant is awesome...

I was actually thinking of buying the Chromecast dongle for my other 2 TVs as it's on sale at Best Buy ($39.99) this week...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So I gave DISH the boot yesterday...Just got tired of their crap with never notifying you when your contract is up and dropping channels for long periods of time.

Subscribed to YouTube TV...Couldn't be happier so far...

The TV in our living room is an older (2016 I think) Samsung that didn't have the YouTube TV app available (I have no earthly idea why)...the 55 incher in my man cave has it, but it's a 2020 model) so I ended up getting Google Chromecast forthe living room TV...

I haven't tried some of the other TV streaming devices except for Roku (native on our bedroom TV) but Google Chromecast seems to me to be a great option. We have YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, HBOMax (tree with our wireless plan) and Netflix, and Google TV organizes all of the content that we subscribe to on the startup page which is nice (supposedly gets better over time as it sees your viewing habits) and the built into the remote Google Assistant is awesome...

I was actually thinking of buying the Chromecast dongle for my other 2 TVs as it's on sale at Best Buy ($39.99) this week...

We used the basic Amazon Firesticks.  Seemed like they had all the apps we needed(TYYV & Philo plus a bunch of freebies).  Unrelated, but pretty cool to be able to watch YTTV on your phone when you're on the road too.

Also, love the UNLIMITED 9-month DVR.

Edited by FKIM01

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We used the basic Amazon Firesticks.  Seemed like they had all the apps we needed(TYYV & Philo plus a bunch of freebies).  Unrelated, but pretty cool to be able to watch YTTV on your phone when you're on the road too.

I thought about those, but I use Google Assistant all of the time on both my phone, and when using Android Auto (which I always have  on when I'm driving...Love the speed trap and traffic alerts) and it makes searching so much easier...

My wife always hated Dish's interface, but she's really liking Google TV...said it's much more intuitive...

So after a week with this setup, I'll say this...I like Google TV a lot...I have one TV that has the YouTube TV app native to it and another that has Roku native to it. They are both going to get a Chromecast just so I can have the Google TV interface. It takes all of my apps (YouTube TV, YouTube, YouTube Music, Prime Video, ABC, HBOMax, and Netflix) all in one spot and displays the choices for each. Nice, easy interface too...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2022 at 12:26 PM, FKIM01 said:

Also, love the UNLIMITED 9-month DVR.

Man, I used to love the firesticks. The layout has since changed (can't remember how long ago)... and now we aren't fans. Way too many clicks to get through the menu.

We had like 3 or 4 firesticks throughout the house, we have since replaced those with Roku TVs/using one regular roku on the outdoor TV. Idk, it just seems the Roku is way simple, turn it on and there are all the apps haha! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Ok cord cutters, I need your advice. New fiber lines in my neighborhood have me thinking of switching off Xfinity cable and taking the streaming approach. Is YouTubeTV and Hulu still the ones to have? Known pros and cons for either? TIA

I have fubotv. Starter plan came with 100+ channels with BTN and 1000hrs of dvr space. 

Pretty sure you can add a sports package for about $10. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Ok cord cutters, I need your advice. New fiber lines in my neighborhood have me thinking of switching off Xfinity cable and taking the streaming approach. Is YouTubeTV and Hulu still the ones to have? Known pros and cons for either? TIA

I have YouTube TV still and I'm very happy with it. Love the unlimited DVR. Never had an outage, and weather doesn't affect the signal like it did with Dish... 

Got every IU game on it last year sans the one that was on BTN+ (which I sucked it up and paid the $10 for) and that's my main reason for having a streaming service... 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Inequality said:

If you shut off Xfinity, how are you getting internet? Regardless, as long as you have internet you should be able to stream whatever you need. What apps you need is the big question seems every year we go thru the rigormorol of figuring it all out. Kind of like going to the store where they have intentionally rearranged everything just to make you look at everything. If your TV/internet have most of the apps as is I'd wait until the channels are listed for eah of the games so  you can figure out what you need. Last year YTTV seemed to cover IU basketball and I'm thinking it should work again this year. Next year with the new conference players, all bets are off.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I've used them all and YouTube TV still remains the best. All I would suggest as others probably will is to make sure your internet is as strong as it can get. 

On my antenna if the winds are above 5 mph NBC (13-1) here in Indy goes in and out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

If you shut off Xfinity, how are you getting internet? Regardless, as long as you have internet you should be able to stream whatever you need. What apps you need is the big question seems every year we go thru the rigormorol of figuring it all out. Kind of like going to the store where they have intentionally rearranged everything just to make you look at everything. If your TV/internet have most of the apps as is I'd wait until the channels are listed for eah of the games so  you can figure out what you need. Last year YTTV seemed to cover IU basketball and I'm thinking it should work again this year. Next year with the new conference players, all bets are off.

Current internet is with Xfinity. The new fiber optic lines that just went through our neighborhood is Smithville Fiber.

With Xfinity, I pay $260 for internet and cable tv. $120 is internet only which is usually very slow unless I call about it. Then it works well for a week or two.

Smithville fiber is offering 1 gig up and down speeds for $44.95 first year then up to their normal $70.

31 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Current internet is with Xfinity. The new fiber optic lines that just went through our neighborhood is Smithville Fiber.

With Xfinity, I pay $260 for internet and cable tv. $120 is internet only which is usually very slow unless I call about it. Then it works well for a week or two.

Smithville fiber is offering 1 gig up and down speeds for $44.95 first year then up to their normal $70.

Tack on $65/month for YTTV after the promos run out and you should be good until everything changes again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Man, I used to love the firesticks. The layout has since changed (can't remember how long ago)... and now we aren't fans. Way too many clicks to get through the menu.

We had like 3 or 4 firesticks throughout the house, we have since replaced those with Roku TVs/using one regular roku on the outdoor TV. Idk, it just seems the Roku is way simple, turn it on and there are all the apps haha! 

Last time we had Roku, it was missing some of the apps we like.  At one point, Roku was fighting with YouTube TV, and you couldn't get app updates.  That would be a non-starter for me.  We also use Philo, and I don't remember that being available on Roku.  If Roku can straighten out the app availability, I'd be good with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Not a T-Mobile sales pitch as I think Verizon and ATT have similar set up’s. However, I’ve been using their 5G Wi-Fi home router for a couple of years and have been completely satisfied. For $160/mo I have two cell line’s and the Wi-Fi router all with unlimited data. But check availability, I had 400mgb service in GA. Just recently moved back to MI to be close to grand baby’s. When I talked to tech support, they said the town I’m now in is not currently set up for home Wi-Fi but we could try. Now when cell traffic is light I get about 200, quite a bit less when everyone gets home at night. Still am able to stream but not ultra high definition. Just an alternative to the ones you already have.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Last time we had Roku, it was missing some of the apps we like.  At one point, Roku was fighting with YouTube TV, and you couldn't get app updates.  That would be a non-starter for me.  We also use Philo, and I don't remember that being available on Roku.  If Roku can straighten out the app availability, I'd be good with it.

Makes sense

Looking at our schedule last year, we played 17 games on BTN (1 on BTN+), 6 on FS1, 5 on the assorted ESPN networks, and 5 on local networks (CBS and FOX), and then the tournament on the TBS/Tru TV/TNT/CBS networks.

Looking at the different streaming services, like @Seeking6 says, YTTV is the best option for IU basketball, especially considering the unlimited DVR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would also look at fubotv. All the sports stuff and more channels overall

Here are their offerings 

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome?irad=343747&irmp=394417&subId1=1024a604b6e341e1eee5eb2e9651ae

Does FuboTv have TBS/TNT/TruTV? I went through their channel lineup and didn't see them...

That would be a showstopper with the NCAA Tournament...