I cut the cable. Now I need help.

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Is anything even broadcast in 8K?

Not at lot right now.  Kind of like when 4K was state of the art. Not much was produced at first in 4K.   Now tons of things are broadcast in 4K. And Roku has an entire channel dedicated to 4K streams.  One thing 8K will allow, just as 4K did when it was first introduced, is an even greater picture quality... even if one is not watching an 8K broadcast.  It's like when 4K was first introduced... the picture quality was superior to HD, even when things were not produced in 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new kid on the block! T-Mobile is announcing the introduction of their new TVision streaming service in limited cities to begin with.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tv

What I find extremely interesting they seem to be setting themselves up to be the first 5G streaming service, when 5G roles out.

“TVision Home is about so much more than home TV … it’s TV built for the 5G era,” Mike Sievert, COO and President of T-Mobile said in a statement. “With New T-Mobile, we’ll bring real choice, competition, better service, lower prices and faster speeds … right into your living room." 

Stay tuned 5G TV is not as far away as some think.

54 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There is a new kid on the block! T-Mobile is announcing the introduction of their new TVision streaming service in limited cities to begin with.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tv

What I find extremely interesting they seem to be setting themselves up to be the first 5G streaming service, when 5G roles out.

“TVision Home is about so much more than home TV … it’s TV built for the 5G era,” Mike Sievert, COO and President of T-Mobile said in a statement. “With New T-Mobile, we’ll bring real choice, competition, better service, lower prices and faster speeds … right into your living room." 

Stay tuned 5G TV is not as far away as some think.

And I ain't even used to what I got yet......ugh.

Another streaming service, that is available right now, that is free, is Xumo. Recommended by Consumer Reports.  I added it to my Roku this weekend.  An unbelievable amount of content. And another neat thing, is there is no registration.  

All Channels & Genres | XUMO

They even have a Field and Stream channel for Rico.   LOL  

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Another streaming service, that is available right now, that is free, is Xumo. Recommended by Consumer Reports.  I added it to my Roku this weekend.  An unbelievable amount of content. And another neat thing, is there is no registration.  

All Channels & Genres | XUMO

They even have a Field and Stream channel for Rico.   LOL  

Hell yeah........I am all over it like a fat lady on cake!!!!!

23 hours ago, rico said:

Hell yeah........I am all over it like a fat lady on cake!!!!!

Rico. Decided to take this discussion off the baseball thread.  I am pleased you were able to load the BTN2go app.  As time goes by, you will find it easier and easier to navigate on your Roku TV.  Keep in mind, that Roku is constantly adding channels.  I think currently there are over 3,000 channels available. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Rico. Decided to take this discussion off the baseball thread.  I am pleased you were able to load the BTN2go app.  As time goes by, you will find it easier and easier to navigate on your Roku TV.  Keep in mind, that Roku is constantly adding channels.  I think currently there are over 3,000 channels available. 

It is a whole new world to me and I am loving it.  Taking me some time to learn but I am getting there.  And I owe it all to you telling me about the Roku TV........I can't get my Dad out of my house!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, rico said:

It is a whole new world to me and I am loving it.  Taking me some time to learn but I am getting there.  And I owe it all to you telling me about the Roku TV........I can't get my Dad out of my house!!!!!!!!

Truly ala cart tv.  One more recommendation.  It will cost you. But it is not that bad.  I subscribed to HuluTV for my Roku devices, at first just to get the Big Ten Network. This is HuluTV.... not the regular Hulu.  I upgraded for like $10.00/mo. for the unlimited device option.  Can watch on any Roku device in the house, outside on the back patio... and even on a smart phone away from the house.

Hulu | Roku Channel Store | Roku

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Truly ala cart tv.  One more recommendation.  It will cost you. But it is not that bad.  I subscribed to HuluTV for my Roku devices, at first just to get the Big Ten Network. This is HuluTV.... not the regular Hulu.  I upgraded for like $10.00/mo. for the unlimited device option.  Can watch on any Roku device in the house, outside on the back patio... and even on a smart phone away from the house.

Hulu | Roku Channel Store | Roku

Let me ask you this...my Roku TV is in the living room....what do I need to do to get Roku on my TV in the bedroom(it does have HDMI inputs)?  Do I need to get a stick for it?  What does that do with my NetFlix?  So many questions with mushroom season upon me!!!!!

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Let me ask you this...my Roku TV is in the living room....what do I need to do to get Roku on my TV in the bedroom(it does have HDMI inputs)?  Do I need to get a stick for it?  What does that do with my NetFlix?  So many questions with mushroom season upon me!!!!!

In addition to the RokuTV,  Roku offers many streaming devices. I have one plugged into every tv in the house.  And on one small tv, that I carry out to the back patio, weather permitting.  Most devices are relatively inexpensive.  And they even have connectors for older tv's that don't have HDMI inputs. 

One neat thing is if you add a channel on one of your Roku devices.... it automatically adds it to the other devices.  Hence, you do not have to go from device to device to add a channel that you want.

The best retailer I have found to buy Roku devices is Walmart.  They seem to inventory the most.  Also, I have bought Roku devices directly from Roku on their website.

Find the Best Roku Streaming Device or TV for You | Roku

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In addition to the RokuTV,  Roku offers many streaming devices. I have one plugged into every tv in the house.  And on one small tv, that I carry out to the back patio, weather permitting.  Most devices are relatively inexpensive.  And they even have connectors for older tv's that don't have HDMI inputs. 

One neat thing is if you add a channel on one of your Roku devices.... it automatically adds it to the other devices.  Hence, you do not have to go from device to device to add a channel that you want.

The best retailer I have found to buy Roku devices is Walmart.  They seem to inventory the most.  Also, I have bought Roku devices directly from Roku on their website.

Find the Best Roku Streaming Device or TV for You | Roku

Does it automatically load up what I already have from my Roku TV?

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Does it automatically load up what I already have from my Roku TV?

Yes. Or vice versa, if you add a channel on a device, it will load up on your RokuTV.  And to install another Roku device is no different that when you set up your RokuTV.

Here's a You Tube video from Roku, for one model.  But the set up is the same for all devices.

How to set up the Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600) 

One more recommendation.  I have a Roku Ultra on my big screen in my man cave.  Perhaps the most expensive device.... just under $100 at Walmart. But can be had for less on line.  4KHD.  Voice activated, that I don't use.  Ear bugs. Caution, I have found using the ear bugs drains the batteries faster when used.  Another neat feature is a remote finder. Simply press a button on the Ultra... and the remote makes a sound you can hear.

Introducing the Roku Ultra | Model 4661

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

It should load all of your apps. But you  may  need to re-authenticate into each on the new roku (i.e. netflix).

I cut the cord a few years ago and went the Roku route. I'm a fan.

It appears that I am in good hands here...and to think I used to be a low voltage technician....

I recently added the roku Ultra for my 4K TV. I did look at the Google and Amazon devices.   I do have the original Chromecast device but it is connected to A/V receiver HDMI port and I only use it now to stream my music library which I loaded into the google cloud from over 200 CD's or to stream spotify.  Does anyone use the Fire Stick or Chromecast Ultra.  Are they better or the same to Roku.

I have DirectV but the video quality for non-sports shows is much better via Roku.   I watch even network TV shows on the Roku via Fox, ABC channels.  Unfortunately can't FFWD thru commercials.  Every now and then the Sports will stream better on Roku ultra but I usually stick to Directv for sports.  MLB package works great though.  I probably need to increase internet speed but service provider at my house will only hit 50 MBPS. 

53 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I recently added the roku Ultra for my 4K TV. I did look at the Google and Amazon devices.   I do have the original Chromecast device but it is connected to A/V receiver HDMI port and I only use it now to stream my music library which I loaded into the google cloud from over 200 CD's or to stream spotify.  Does anyone use the Fire Stick or Chromecast Ultra.  Are they better or the same to Roku.

I have DirectV but the video quality for non-sports shows is much better via Roku.   I watch even network TV shows on the Roku via Fox, ABC channels.  Unfortunately can't FFWD thru commercials.  Every now and then the Sports will stream better on Roku ultra but I usually stick to Directv for sports.  MLB package works great though.  I probably need to increase internet speed but service provider at my house will only hit 50 MBPS. 

Why do I hear Latin?

3 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I do have a Chromecast Ultra hooked up to my big screen in the kitchen, along with a Roku (Yeah, I know. But it is great when we have guests over for dinner).  I did the Chromecast Ultra,  so I could have my Google home send it commands.  But I found the Chromecast lacking, in that there is no remote. Instead, you have to use a smart phone as a remote.

DirectTV ended their agreement with the NFL network,  just this week.  NFL network is still available to satalite (SP?) Direct users.  No word if the NFL will return to DirectTV right now. 

It's always a good idea, provided what is available and what one can afford to get the most powerful internet service offered.  Fortunately for me, Century Link locked me in , price wise, for life, with their strongest internet.  Price never changes. Only the strength. 

Edited by milehiiu

On 3/31/2019 at 11:31 PM, milehiiu said:

Not at lot right now.  Kind of like when 4K was state of the art. Not much was produced at first in 4K.   Now tons of things are broadcast in 4K. And Roku has an entire channel dedicated to 4K streams.  One thing 8K will allow, just as 4K did when it was first introduced, is an even greater picture quality... even if one is not watching an 8K broadcast.  It's like when 4K was first introduced... the picture quality was superior to HD, even when things were not produced in 4K.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on getting rid of cable when I move next month. Think I will go with the TCL/Roku 6k at Best Buy instead of waiting for 8k. 

17 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on getting rid of cable when I move next month. Think I will go with the TCL/Roku 6k at Best Buy instead of waiting for 8k. 

There are several manufacturers for RokuTV.  I am pleased to see that you will be choosing a TCL.  According to the research I have done. It is the best.  And even better yet. The least expensive. Yeah, no need to wait for 8K for you.  In my case I've got multiple Roku setups.  I can wait. 

Highly recommend getting HuluTV, as well.  As an example. There are 5 local tv stations in Denver.  Hulu supports all but one of them  And that's just local news. A free channel called NewsOn.... allows me to watch tv stations, in any and every state in the nation. 

My son just told me that he has the ability to get over 40K channels for his RokuTV.  I did not know that.  And when I told him, we don't have enough time to watch what we have now.... we both just laughed.

Get that RokuTV.  And like Rico, you will love it. 

Here is a great resource for those looking into getting rid of their cable TV/dish but still desire live TV:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-vs-youtube-tv-vs-philo-vs-playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-vs-fubotv-vs-watch-tv-vs-hulu-updated-february-2019/

I've tried most of these and am the biggest fan of Youtube TV (even though the price is going up to $50/month)

Hulu Live TV is one that I haven't tried but sounds like Mile really loves it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

There are several manufacturers for RokuTV.  I am pleased to see that you will be choosing a TCL.  According to the research I have done. It is the best.  And even better yet. The least expensive. Yeah, no need to wait for 8K for you.  In my case I've got multiple Roku setups.  I can wait. 

Highly recommend getting HuluTV, as well.  As an example. There are 5 local tv stations in Denver.  Hulu supports all but one of them  And that's just local news. A free channel called NewsOn.... allows me to watch tv stations, in any and every state in the nation. 

My son just told me that he has the ability to get over 40K channels for his RokuTV.  I did not know that.  And when I told him, we don't have enough time to watch what we have now.... we both just laughed.

Get that RokuTV.  And like Rico, you will love it. 

I actually have a TCL /Roku that I got on Black Friday 18 months ago for my kids. They have used much more than I but I'm already familiar with it. It was just a small one for their bedroom. Now, I'll get the larger / newer version for our primary.