I cut the cable. Now I need help.

20 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

I've tried most of these and am the biggest fan of Youtube TV (even though the price is going up to $50/month)

Just because I'm so far removed from it, but holy hell....how much is cable nowadays? I know I'm spoiled when it comes to my municipal utilities, but damn. 

34 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Here is a great resource for those looking into getting rid of their cable TV/dish but still desire live TV:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-vs-youtube-tv-vs-philo-vs-playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-vs-fubotv-vs-watch-tv-vs-hulu-updated-february-2019/

I've tried most of these and am the biggest fan of Youtube TV (even though the price is going up to $50/month)

Hulu Live TV is one that I haven't tried but sounds like Mile really loves it.

Yes. Great resource.  Luke also has a You Tube channel.

Cord Cutters News

Yes, I do love Hulu Live TV.  But would not want anyone to change because of me.  Having said that, most of these streaming services have a free trial period, with no penalty for cancelling.  For that matter, should one choose many of the streaming services, and decide to change, there is no contract, and no penalty for opting out.

Edited by milehiiu

• 3 weeks later...

For those that liked watching Court TV ( me, me me ! ) it is coming back on May 8th.  And will be available on Roku and other streaming devices.

The New Court TV Will Stream For Free on Roku, Apple TV, & Amazon Fire TV

In other Cord Cutting news.... It has just been announced that Cable and Satellite companies lost 1.1 million subscribers in the first three months of 2019.

Edited by milehiiu

You can get free week trials with HBO for 7 days each time. Catch up on several great series including Thrones. Good thing about HBO is they only need a new email address each time you sign up. I'm on my 4th week of free (mostly for Thrones) but watched True Detectives and a few others as well. Just have to cancel on 7th day. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

You can get free week trials with HBO for 7 days each time. Catch up on several great series including Thrones. Good thing about HBO is they only need a new email address each time you sign up. I'm on my 4th week of free (mostly for Thrones) but watched True Detectives and a few others as well. Just have to cancel on 7th day. 

Thanks for the tip. Though I doubt I will use this. Hope this is handy for others.  Hardly a  day goes by that I don't discover something new about Cord Cutting.

• 2 weeks later...

Attention binge watchers.

It's National Streaming Week on Roku.

Shows normally behind paywalls at HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax are being offered for free this week only, with ads.

To get there, click on the left side of the home page, for featured free.  Then scroll down for National Streaming Week. 

Edited by milehiiu

• 10 months later...

Sorry, didnt want to start a new thread.

Since everyone is supposed to be inside is anyone else having trouble streaming.  I am getting really slow buffering times.  Hulu. Netflix, CBS wont even load.  Crappy modem or high demand for bandwidth?

Edited by mrflynn03
Autocorrect and fat thumbs

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Since everyone is supposed to be inside is anyone else having trouble streaming.  I am better really slow buffering times.  Hulu. Netflix, CBS wont even load.  Crappy modem or high demand for bandwidth?

Always helps to have the strongest internet connection your provider offers for you.  If it were not for that.... I would be going crazy right now.  I hear ya. Don't want to be like a dad. But check with your local provider, to see if they can up the power for you.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Since everyone is supposed to be inside is anyone else having trouble streaming.  I am getting really slow buffering times.  Hulu. Netflix, CBS wont even load.  Crappy modem or high demand for bandwidth?

We recently swapped to RTC fiber in Washington...run everything in the office through it...computers, phones, TVs...fantastic service and I got their slowest package (50 Mbps).  My neighbor has Newwave and his service has sucked recently.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I switched from DirecTV to PlayStation Vue ($100/month saving) last summer. PS Vue closed up shop at the end of January, so I switched to YouTube TV. So far so good. I do however miss the user interface of DTV, just not the price tag. 

Somewhere in this thread. I posted that I subscribed to Hulu Live TV.  Signed up to unlimited devices for  an additional $9.99 per month. Son and wife watch on their phones when away from home. Got rid of three cable boxes.  And could not be happier.

By the way. Great to have you back with us.  New Jersey. Delaware.  Where ever you are.  LOL. Oh, I know.  Hope all is good with you on the East Coast. Stay safe. 

Hulu + Live TV – More than just Live TV streaming

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, well, well.....

Are cable companies coming around to folks cutting the cord? Down here in Evansville, we have 2 cable companies, Spectrum and WOW. I have my bundle, cable, phone and internet (25 mbs) from WOW! A week ago, my wife is paying the bills and noticed our bill had gone up to nearly $240 dollars! After calling them, she managed to get it to $140, good for 2 years. Why do they make us beg for discounts?

But yesterday in our mail we received a letter from WOW talking about.........................................

Are you ready? Cutting the cord!!! And they had plans to help us do so and save us (gasp) money in the long run by offering various streaming services such as Youtube TV, Philo, Sling and others. No more cable boxes or paying fees for those pieces of equipment. The plans are intriguing to say the least and I may look in to them.

What do you guys think? Are cable companies finally coming around?

7 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well, well, well.....

Are cable companies coming around to folks cutting the cord? Down here in Evansville, we have 2 cable companies, Spectrum and WOW. I have my bundle, cable, phone and internet (25 mbs) from WOW! A week ago, my wife is paying the bills and noticed our bill had gone up to nearly $240 dollars! After calling them, she managed to get it to $140, good for 2 years. Why do they make us beg for discounts?

But yesterday in our mail we received a letter from WOW talking about.........................................

Are you ready? Cutting the cord!!! And they had plans to help us do so and save us (gasp) money in the long run by offering various streaming services such as Youtube TV, Philo, Sling and others. No more cable boxes or paying fees for those pieces of equipment. The plans are intriguing to say the least and I may look in to them.

My first question to them would be, will you let us out of the 2 year commitment we just made to get a lower price on cable (that's what Dish does...knocks the bill down if you sign on for a certain length of time...and I'm just assuming WOW does the same) to sign on for the streaming services?

49 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well, well, well.....

I don't understand why they are offering youtube tv, sling, etc. when you can get them on your own....unless they are offering them at a discounted rate. If not, I'd just get the internet and do the rest on your own because none of those services tie you into a contract. 

On 3/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, NotIThatLives said:

I killed my youtubetv last night.  Weather getting nice.  Biying a fixer upper.  No time.  Need that 50 spot allocated somewhere else.  

Antenna and prime video it is.  

I love that about YoutubeTV - you can cancel, start, cancel, start whenever you want. I always start it for IUBB season and then cancel after the tournament. Had to cancel early this year obviously.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I also see where youtubeTV does have local stations?

Hulu Live has local tv. Here in Denver, we have 5 local tv stations. Hulu Live has 4 of the 5.

However, came here to let people who are interested in news.  There is a channel, called News ON.  It has around 170 tv stations from across the U.S. 

NewsON

I watch Indianapolis local tv, often.  And then when something is going on in the U.S. like in Minnesota... I tune into local tv.

Available on Ruku.  But I don't think New ON, is on youtubeTV, yet.

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I love that about YoutubeTV - you can cancel, start, cancel, start whenever you want. I always start it for IUBB season and then cancel after the tournament. Had to cancel early this year obviously.

And if you have enough work and personal email addresses you can make it an entire season on free trial runs alone. Haven't had cable in 3-4 years...haven't missed on thing or game yet.

• Like 1

We cut the cord last month...so far we have what we have had all along...Amazon prime and Netflix. My wife was able to get NFL sunday ticket through work for like $99 last year. We will probably subscribe to youtube/hulu/sling during football/college hoops to watch local stations (football) and IU games. We were only watching cable 1-2 times a month for "regular tv" as almost everything I watch not sports related is on Netflix/Amazon/HBO etc.

• Like 1