Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just graduated from a walker to a cane. Two weeks out from surgery and feel pretty good about that. I am getting steps in, little bits at a time. Fatigue still an issue. Got a platform to convert my hybrid bike to a stationary bike, just waiting for my son to set it up. Can’t wait to get on it.

Believe it or not, I have actually lost some weight since surgery. Attribute that to the pain meds as I haven’t been real hungry 

My FIL dropped about 35 after his hip replacement surgery 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just graduated from a walker to a cane. Two weeks out from surgery and feel pretty good about that. I am getting steps in, little bits at a time. Fatigue still an issue. Got a platform to convert my hybrid bike to a stationary bike, just waiting for my son to set it up. Can’t wait to get on it.

Believe it or not, I have actually lost some weight since surgery. Attribute that to the pain meds as I haven’t been real hungry 

Best wishes on your recovery!  I missed that you went under the knife.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

During the pandemic, we got in the habit of starting a nightly cocktail hour at 5pm. I would usually drink two cocktails or three beers if I was drinking beer. On the weekends we would drink on the terrace reading the paper starting at like 11am or noon, and then have drinks again later that evening. 

I noticed my pants were fitting tighter lately, and I was getting really bad heartburn/acid reflux at night while trying to fall asleep. Since the season was over, I decided to quit drinking unless we were out somewhere for dinner. 

Have lost almost ten pounds with just that one change in a month. AND no more heartburn. I quite taking Pepcid, b/c I don’t need it anymore. 

It’s not easy, b/c drinking was/is such a habit. There are many nice days where a drink or two on the terrace is so tempting, but once you just say no and move on to something else, it gets a bit easier. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

During the pandemic, we got in the habit of starting a nightly cocktail hour at 5pm. I would usually drink two cocktails or three beers if I was drinking beer. On the weekends we would drink on the terrace reading the paper starting at like 11am or noon, and then have drinks again later that evening. 

I noticed my pants were fitting tighter lately, and I was getting really bad heartburn/acid reflux at night while trying to fall asleep. Since the season was over, I decided to quit drinking unless we were out somewhere for dinner. 

Have lost almost ten pounds with just that one change in a month. AND no more heartburn. I quite taking Pepcid, b/c I don’t need it anymore. 

It’s not easy, b/c drinking was/is such a habit. There are many nice days where a drink or two on the terrace is so tempting, but once you just say no and move on to something else, it gets a bit easier. 

Good for you!  Well done!  Alcohol...a huge source of empty calories.  My guess is you will find that you sleep better also.  

Edited by jv1972iu

28 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Good for you!  Well done!  Alcohol...a huge source of empty calories.  My guess is you will find that you sleep better also.  

Definitely sleeping much better!  I used to wake up at like 3am and have a hard time falling back to sleep. Haven’t had that issue either. 

We are going to Italy for 10 days next month, so I will drink a bit more there, but I do think I will stick with the not drinking at home for awhile. I didn’t mention it in my post, but I just feel so much better without it.

44 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Definitely sleeping much better!  I used to wake up at like 3am and have a hard time falling back to sleep. Haven’t had that issue either. 

We are going to Italy for 10 days next month, so I will drink a bit more there, but I do think I will stick with the not drinking at home for awhile. I didn’t mention it in my post, but I just feel so much better without it.

I followed a similar path when I was in my early 50's.  Weighed 190 on a 5-8 slight frame.  My GP said drop some weight and I did like you with the alcohol.  I was amazed how quickly I lost ten lbs.  I'm 72 now and weigh 162-165 for the last ten yrs.  Don't often miss drinking... but we do have an occasional libation when dining out.  Usually is special occasion.  You'll be glad you're doing this later on.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep. I cut back beer significantly this year. I went from 4-5 days of a few beers with dinner/watching sports to none for 100 days and just started allowing myself to drink some beer on my "cheat day," usually on Saturday. I am also cutting way back on carbs and following the intermittent fasting (only eating between an 8 hour window each day, etc. but have lost some weight as well. The hardest part for me will be keeping it up during the summer when I grill out quite a bit.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

Trying to get rid of the gut. Not overweight by any means, but need to lose about 20lbs. I’m 6’2 and 230lbs. Hard part is working full time, family that include 2 boys 5 and under, church obligations, and then a couple work events in the evening a month. 

Trying to do better than just 1 workout/run a week. I started taking an all natural supplement to help that I really liked, PhenQ Ultra. Once I ran out of that I tried Instant Knockout. For me, PhenQ was better because I never had any side effects, like nausea or upset stomach. Helped curb my cravings and targeting fat. Need to exercise and eat right for it to work it’s best, but helps limit my intake by not making me as hungry without the annoying side effects. 

Always been a runner and would like to try and run a half-marathon by October. 35 years of age so plenty of time still left to do it every year hopefully. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I followed a similar path when I was in my early 50's.  Weighed 190 on a 5-8 slight frame.  My GP said drop some weight and I did like you with the alcohol.  I was amazed how quickly I lost ten lbs.  I'm 72 now and weigh 162-165 for the last ten yrs.  Don't often miss drinking... but we do have an occasional libation when dining out.  Usually is special occasion.  You'll be glad you're doing this later on.

Wow, we are pretty similar size wise. Am 5’9” and weighed 180 when I noticed things were getting a little out of hand. I think I would be really happy at around 160 or 162 on my frame. I do know that it doesn’t get any easier to be really fit as you age, and I’m starting to think about being as healthy as possible when I retire to cut down on medical costs. 

Drinking is such a part of our lifestyle, but I like keeping it to just 1 or 2 times per week if we are out. Those beers or cocktails taste extra good, when you aren’t pounding them every night!

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep. I cut back beer significantly this year. I went from 4-5 days of a few beers with dinner/watching sports to none for 100 days and just started allowing myself to drink some beer on my "cheat day," usually on Saturday. I am also cutting way back on carbs and following the intermittent fasting (only eating between an 8 hour window each day, etc. but have lost some weight as well. The hardest part for me will be keeping it up during the summer when I grill out quite a bit.

Yes, summer grilling and hanging outside does make it a bit harder. I think I’ll try to plan a lot more active activities to keep my mind off of it. Also, basketball season will be a real test. IU games and beer goes together like peanut butter and jelly for me! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Wow, we are pretty similar size wise. Am 5’9” and weighed 180 when I noticed things were getting a little out of hand. I think I would be really happy at around 160 or 162 on my frame. I do know that it doesn’t get any easier to be really fit as you age, and I’m starting to think about being as healthy as possible when I retire to cut down on medical costs. 

Drinking is such a part of our lifestyle, but I like keeping it to just 1 or 2 times per week if we are out. Those beers or cocktails taste extra good, when you aren’t pounding them every night!

Yes, summer grilling and hanging outside does make it a bit harder. I think I’ll try to plan a lot more active activities to keep my mind off of it. Also, basketball season will be a real test. IU games and beer goes together like peanut butter and jelly for me! 

I'm worse during football season than basketball. Probably has to do with the weather being nicer in September/October than January/February in Indiana! Less grilling during hoops season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Why does alcohol have to be so good? 

There’s 2 months of the year I’m not coaching in the evenings. This month is one of them and it’s amazing how I need to fend the urge for a drink on a weekday night. But I’m somewhat successful, which convinces me that I don’t have a problem. Haha.

Either way, it’s amazing how age messes with my consumption. If I drink too late then I can’t sleep. If I drink too early, I need to take a nap and wake up with a headache. If I have over 2 drinks I’m in trouble the next morning. What has happened to me? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm worse during football season than basketball. Probably has to do with the weather being nicer in September/October than January/February in Indiana! Less grilling during hoops season.

That used to be me on Saturday afternoons - the only problem with football is it’s longer, so requires twice as much beer. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Why does alcohol have to be so good? 

There’s 2 months of the year I’m not coaching in the evenings. This month is one of them and it’s amazing how I need to fend the urge for a drink on a weekday night. But I’m somewhat successful, which convinces me that I don’t have a problem. Haha.

Either way, it’s amazing how age messes with my consumption. If I drink too late then I can’t sleep. If I drink too early, I need to take a nap and wake up with a headache. If I have over 2 drinks I’m in trouble the next morning. What has happened to me? 

Your second paragraph is me. Totally me. 

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, JaybobHoosier said:

Trying to get rid of the gut. Not overweight by any means, but need to lose about 20lbs. I’m 6’2 and 230lbs. Hard part is working full time, family that include 2 boys 5 and under, church obligations, and then a couple work events in the evening a month. 

Trying to do better than just 1 workout/run a week. I started taking an all natural supplement to help that I really liked, PhenQ Ultra. Once I ran out of that I tried Instant Knockout. For me, PhenQ was better because I never had any side effects, like nausea or upset stomach. Helped curb my cravings and targeting fat. Need to exercise and eat right for it to work it’s best, but helps limit my intake by not making me as hungry without the annoying side effects. 

Always been a runner and would like to try and run a half-marathon by October. 35 years of age so plenty of time still left to do it every year hopefully. 

I'm also 6'2. At the beginning of this year I started deadlifting once or twice a week. It helped me drop 10 pounds even though I wasn't actively trying to lose weight. It gets rid of fat around your core that you may not even realize you have. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wish I could still run. High impact is not my friend 

I’ve been fairly blessed as I’ve always been a natural long distance runner. My knees, ankles, and feet have held up well. I ran cross country in high school, and my body does well with it. 

Wife finds it crazy that I could not do a bit of exercise for 2-3 months, then just go crank out a 5K (about a 10 minute pace). Wish I had more drive to do races and such, really enjoy it.

8 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’ve been fairly blessed as I’ve always been a natural long distance runner. My knees, ankles, and feet have held up well. I ran cross country in high school, and my body does well with it. 

Wife finds it crazy that I could not do a bit of exercise for 2-3 months, then just go crank out a 5K (about a 10 minute pace). Wish I had more drive to do races and such, really enjoy it.

My running days are mostly behind me (prefer biking now), but I used to be like you. Wouldn’t run for weeks or months and then just go run several miles. One time, my wife was registered for the NYC Half Marathon and was injured. She couldn’t find anyone who wanted her bib, so I ran it and did it in 1:45. Hadn’t run for months before that. I was VERY sore the next few days though. Probably not smart. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

My running days are mostly behind me (prefer biking now), but I used to be like you. Wouldn’t run for weeks or months and then just go run several miles. One time, my wife was registered for the NYC Half Marathon and was injured. She couldn’t find anyone who wanted her bib, so I ran it and did it in 1:45. Hadn’t run for months before that. I was VERY sore the next few days though. Probably not smart. 

Nice!! I’m hoping to get a half in later this year. My pastor runs 5k’s and half’s often and we run together, so he definitely kicks my butt. He texted me right as I finished my run yesterday to go running lol. Politely declined but told him we could later this week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...