Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I weighted in at 240 and 6'3 heaviest I have been and the knees are beyond shot. Gotta get some of this off.  Going to start intermittent fasting and some exercise bike to start with

My issue with weight loss has always been my food intake. I eat a lot, always have, and it caught up to me after college when I quit running so much. I’m wanting to get down to 199lbs (just want to be below 200 lol), but at least below 210lbs. 

I’ve been fortunate to be natural at running, and luckily I really like it as well. This go around, I’m trying to mix-in these BeachBody workouts that focus on strength training too. Hoping to get some 5k’s under my belt, and then train for a couple half-marathons next year. I’m 35 and want to take advantage of this time by not hurting my health and daily lifestyle by my diet and laziness. Having kids makes it really difficult to stay in shape!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

My issue with weight loss has always been my food intake. I eat a lot, always have, and it caught up to me after college when I quit running so much. I’m wanting to get down to 199lbs (just want to be below 200 lol), but at least below 210lbs. 

I’ve been fortunate to be natural at running, and luckily I really like it as well. This go around, I’m trying to mix-in these BeachBody workouts that focus on strength training too. Hoping to get some 5k’s under my belt, and then train for a couple half-marathons next year. I’m 35 and want to take advantage of this time by not hurting my health and daily lifestyle by my diet and laziness. Having kids makes it really difficult to stay in shape!

I love the Beach Bodies program. Right now I’m doing 645, which is isn’t especially hard, but there a lot of focus on mobility and stability. I’m almost finished with the 12 week program and it has really opened my hips up, which in turn has relieved some lower back pain. So far my favorite pure strength training one has been Lift4. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I love the Beach Bodies program. Right now I’m doing 645, which is isn’t especially hard, but there a lot of focus on mobility and stability. I’m almost finished with the 12 week program and it has really opened my hips up, which in turn has relieved some lower back pain. So far my favorite pure strength training one has been Lift4. 

Nice and really like hearing that! I’ve never been a big fan of lifting weights, but need to start incorporating them more, which is why I’m doing MBF. I notice a major health benefit once I start exercising and eating better, which is my stomach/digestion. World of difference with even a little adjustment to being healthier. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Speaking of beach bodies I heard on the radio. That 57% of women aged 25 to 40 prefer the Dad bod over the chiseled look. Not sure who these women are but their thinking makes me feel little better

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Speaking of beach bodies I heard on the radio. That 57% of women aged 25 to 40 prefer the Dad bod over the chiseled look. Not sure who these women are but their thinking makes me feel little better

Was this study done by the people who said that drinking a few beers a week is good for you? 

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Nice and really like hearing that! I’ve never been a big fan of lifting weights, but need to start incorporating them more, which is why I’m doing MBF. I notice a major health benefit once I start exercising and eating better, which is my stomach/digestion. World of difference with even a little adjustment to being healthier. 

MBF definitely took some adjusting for me. It sounds bad, but it took a few weeks to adjust to all that jump roping (but I’m not a runner). 

You should really check out 645 at some point. There’s a lot of strength training but it’s more functional strength training. I’ve had BB for 2.5 years and have done quite a few programs - this one makes my body feel the best. I still get the muscle burn, but without the joint soreness. If anything my joints are getting healthier. At the beginning I had a hard time doing side lunges because of my knee soreness. Now, I actually look forward to the exercise. 

And if you really want to feel like an idiot do one of those barre classes. Holy Crap, I  hate the instructor (she’s honestly the worst) but sweat pours off me. 

• Like 1

Weight is slowly coming off for me. 

6'3" 265. 

Unfortunately due to back problems I can no long squat or deadlift heavy. My new quest is to master the OHP.  I can still due front squats though. I also plan on doing alot of jump roping with a speed rope and a Muay Thai heavy rope. 

For me running is for survival.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

6'3" 265. 

Unfortunately due to back problems I can no long squat or deadlift heavy. My new quest is to master the OHP.  I can still due front squats though. I also plan on doing alot of jump roping with a speed rope and a Muay Thai heavy rope. 

Then you should definitely do the zombie 5k’s we’re people are trying to get you! Lol. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

MBF definitely took some adjusting for me. It sounds bad, but it took a few weeks to adjust to all that jump roping (but I’m not a runner). 

You should really check out 645 at some point. There’s a lot of strength training but it’s more functional strength training. I’ve had BB for 2.5 years and have done quite a few programs - this one makes my body feel the best. I still get the muscle burn, but without the joint soreness. If anything my joints are getting healthier. At the beginning I had a hard time doing side lunges because of my knee soreness. Now, I actually look forward to the exercise. 

And if you really want to feel like an idiot do one of those barre classes. Holy Crap, I  hate the instructor (she’s honestly the worst) but sweat pours off me. 

Will definitely give that a look. I’m still sore from my one MBF workout earlier this week lol. 

BeachBody does a great job of having a good variety based on preferences and health. A good investment for all, plus, never hurts when the trainer is a good looking woman lol.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

6'3" 265. 

Keep grinding.

I used to do a lot of personal training, kept 3 to 5 clients at a time. Kept myself in great shape etc.

I let myself go a little, went from 175 to to 220lbs.

About 14 months ago, I jumped back into the game and wanted to get in great shape again. 

Now that I am 50, I understand how you have to adjust the approach so much!

I am down to 187 now, about 12 pounds to go.

It has become so much more about nutrition, macros etc than exercising.

I still lift 3 to 4 days per week. But much more selective on my exercise choices.

I do almost zero lower body now.  I do bike about 30 to 40 miles.per week (on a good week), and do the emasculating stairmaster as intense as I can. Lol

Those things keep cardio and legs in check. And I go heavier on upper body lifting.

Funny how I catch myself preaching to my innerself everyrhing I used to bark at.my clients.   😅

And the OHP is a great exercise for where ypu are. It is a must in your routine. 👍

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Keep grinding.

I used to do a lot of personal training, kept 3 to 5 clients at a time. Kept myself in great shape etc.

I let myself go a little, went from 175 to to 220lbs.

About 14 months ago, I jumped back into the game and wanted to get in great shape again. 

Now that I am 50, I understand how you have to adjust the approach so much!

I am down to 187 now, about 12 pounds to go.

It has become so much more about nutrition, macros etc than exercising.

I still lift 3 to 4 days per week. But much more selective on my exercise choices.

I do almost zero lower body now.  I do bike about 30 to 40 miles.per week (on a good week), and do the emasculating stairmaster as intense as I can. Lol

Those things keep cardio and legs in check. And I go heavier on upper body lifting.

Funny how I catch myself preaching to my innerself everyrhing I used to bark at.my clients.   😅

And the OHP is a great exercise for where ypu are. It is a must in your routine. 👍

It does gets a bit harder after 50 to keep the pounds off. One thing that helps for me, besides cutting down alcohol (Boo!!), is to restrict my eating after like 7pm. That night time snacking really adds up. 

My knees are too old for much running anymore. Have completed a handful of marathons, and over a dozen half marathons, and now my knees ache after just a run in the park. Biking has been a life-saver though. I don’t think it’s as bang for your buck effective at weight loss as running, but it’s sure a lot more fun and less painful. 

Weights three days a week are mandatory for me. Don’t really use huge weights, but 10-20 minutes keeps me flexible and toned. It is shockingly easy to lose muscle tone the older you get. 

• 3 weeks later...

I weighed 135 when I graduated from college in 1987, was about 180 in 2003, crossed the Mendoza line (200) in about '05-'06.  Was about 220 at my highest.  Weighed 215 as recent as late April this year.

Made a conscious effort after Easter to significantly reduce carbs.  Not officially working out, but spending a lot if time redoing landscaping and working in the yard the last couple if months.

Happy to say, for the first time in about 16 years I've got to see the '1' as the first number on the scale 3 times in the last 10 days, including this morning at 199.6.  My goal is 180-185, but at 56 years old, soon to be 57, it will be a challenge to get there without formal workouts.

But, at least my experience is that carb reduction really does work.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I weighed 135 when I graduated from college in 1987, was about 180 in 2003, crossed the Mendoza line (200) in about '05-'06.  Was about 220 at my highest.  Weighed 215 as recent as late April this year.

Made a conscious effort after Easter to significantly reduce carbs.  Not officially working out, but spending a lot if time redoing landscaping and working in the yard the last couple if months.

Happy to say, for the first time in about 16 years I've got to see the '1' as the first number on the scale 3 times in the last 10 days, including this morning at 199.6.  My goal is 180-185, but at 56 years old, soon to be 57, it will be a challenge to get there without formal workouts.

But, at least my experience is that carb reduction really does work.

Keep it going. Those numbers are daily accomplishments...as well as mental awards! 

• Like 1

Well, I decided to try a new diet today.  It's called the Covid diet.  You just don't feel like eating. 

Myself, along with several other extended family members, got burned by a holiday get together this past weekend.  It was 99% outside, so everyone be careful.  Outside contact is not a guarantee to be safe.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I decided to try a new diet today.  It's called the Covid diet.  You just don't feel like eating. 

Myself, along with several other extended family members, got burned by a holiday get together this past weekend.  It was 99% outside, so everyone be careful.  Outside contact is not a guarantee to be safe.  

Be safe and hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sorry to hear it. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, 5fouls said:

Hope you and your family are feeling better soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is keeping up with their exercise or weight loss programs if on one. Football season around the corner....which means usually more bad food. If out in the heat please make sure you hydrate before during and after. Got my miles in today and was down 3.2 lbs inside of 90 minutes. Be safe gang!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I am starting a new program today. Tracking my daily steps and weighing myself once a week. Goal is 10,000 steps a day. I have 5,000 already today so that is a good start. 

I have lost lots of weight before, I just stick to four basics: 1) Eat better, 2) Less beer, 3) More water, 4) Move more

Tracking my progress on a spreadsheet which appeals to the turbo nerd in me. 🤠

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I am starting a new program today. Tracking my daily steps and weighing myself once a week. Goal is 10,000 steps a day. I have 5,000 already today so that is a good start. 

I have lost lots of weight before, I just stick to four basics: 1) Eat better, 2) Less beer, 3) More water, 4) Move more

Tracking my progress on a spreadsheet which appeals to the turbo nerd in me. 🤠

Good luck! Keep us updated. One thing I know for me over the years is having to hit my step numbers no matter what. Great way to put the phone in the pocket and tune out the noise of the world too!

• 5 months later...