Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Life has it all backwards.  I should be rewarded the older I get by being able to eat whatever I want.  Instead, that happened in my teens.  Now, I think about cheesecake and gain 5 pounds.

Just eat the damn cheesecake........but I must admit, you got me hungry for one!

Weight has me confused lately. I decided after the NCAA tourney, Masters and first week of baseball to give up beer for awhile, increase my workouts,etc...only dropped 8 lbs in the last weeks. Was expecting a larger drop especially giving up beer/booze. I find myself craving carbs so while I'm happy about the 8 lbs...mint choc chip ice cream and pizza have been calling my name like crack was calling Pookie each night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although my original post was in jest.....there is truth behind it in my case.  3 months ago I went in for my annual check-up.  Doctor said I would be in better health if I took off 30 lbs.  So since then, I have shed 15.  I still drink my beer, but stay away from the carbs.  Eat steak all the time with a green vegetable.  But the most important thing was I cut out the fast food.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Although my original post was in jest.....there is truth behind it in my case.  3 months ago I went in for my annual check-up.  Doctor said I would be in better health if I took off 30 lbs.  So since then, I have shed 15.  I still drink my beer, but stay away from the carbs.  Eat steak all the time with a green vegetable.  But the most important thing was I cut out the fast food.

Fast food/processed food is terrible for you. Cutting that out goes a long way to helping with overall health, regardless of whatever weight you lose. Good for your Rico! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Fast food/processed food is terrible for you. Cutting that out goes a long way to helping with overall health, regardless of whatever weight you lose. Good for your Rico! 

Thank you and I would tell everyone here to watch the documentary "Super Size Me".  Fascinating.

• Like 1

Another thing that helps with fat loss is fish oil(omega 3). I try to do 2-3 grams of DHA/EPA a day.  DHA/EPA are the important components of a serving of fish oil. 

Or 2-3 servings of a fatty fish a week like salmon.  Also, if you can find a source for grass fed/grass finished beef as it has omega 3 instead of omega 6 . But it has to be grass fed/grass finished.  

Also really enjoyed super size me.  Its wild what the human body can do and put up with. 

Edited by mrflynn03

Fwiw, What the Health was produced by Joaquin Phoenix who is a member of PETA and a long time animal rights activist.  

I watched it and I'm not saying all the information is incorrect but I found it to be repetitive and somewhat biased.  

But worth watching to expose yourself to a different viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Fwiw, What the Health was produced by Joaquin Phoenix who is a member of PETA and a long time animal rights activist.  

I watched it and I'm not saying all the information is incorrect but I found it to be repetitive and somewhat biased.  

I figured as much...........JSMH

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Every documentary I've ever seen is biased. There's still good information to be had, but people should always fact check any source they get their information from. That said, there is a lot of information in What the Health that is true and isnt known by most in the general population. 

@KoB2011

I did like how it exposed the food industry for what is . 

For me it was things like how it compared one egg a day to 5 ciggarettes a day being equally bad or saying sugar isnt that bad when the opposite has been proven. 

I thought it would have had more nutritional information about the type of diet it was promoting by nutritionists.  

Anyway, like most things it gives someone a baseline for further learning. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@KoB2011

I did like how it exposed the food industry for what is . 

For me it was things like how it compared one egg a day to 5 ciggarettes a day being equally bad or saying sugar isnt that bad when the opposite has been proven. 

I thought it would have had more nutritional information about the type of diet it was promoting by nutritionists.  

Anyway, like most things it gives someone a baseline for further learning. 

Yeah, the egg thing was crap. I don't think eggs are the best thing in the world for you, but I don't get the need to exaggerate it. 

I don't remember the sugar part but will say artificial sugar and the amount we add to our food is absolutely bad for us. There's an interesting documentary about sugar but I'm struggling to remember the name. 

I would like to say how much the food industry has change in my lifetime.  Back when I was young we had chickens.  We gathered the eggs and we ate them.  We milked the cows and we drank it.  We raised beef cattle, we would butcher a few a year and eat beef.  We had hogs, we did the same with them.  The main thing is, we knew what we were feeding them.  Does that make any sense?

3 hours ago, rico said:

I would like to say how much the food industry has change in my lifetime.  Back when I was young we had chickens.  We gathered the eggs and we ate them.  We milked the cows and we drank it.  We raised beef cattle, we would butcher a few a year and eat beef.  We had hogs, we did the same with them.  The main thing is, we knew what we were feeding them.  Does that make any sense?

It makes a lot of sense. Our food today is pumped full of chemicals, not to mention the way that animals are slaughtered causes a lot of stress (which is a hormone), and then we eat that. 

Most people depend on medicine for their health, but I believe we have it backward. We should depend on food for our health and medicine for our illnesses. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:26 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

In my ride up the elevator at the office today (no Fouls, I didn't get stuck today), the Elevator TV had a study reflecting that chewing gum has been shown to help with weight loss by reducing cravings for salty and sweet food. 

Most Americans don’t know the difference between hunger and thirst and most of us are dehydrated a lot of the time. We get this feeling and think we are hungry so we snack when we should be drinking water.  You need to drink at least 50% of your body weight in ounces of water every day.  So if you weigh 200 lbs you should be drinking 100 ounces of water every day.  This will go a long way in reducing cravings between meals.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Most Americans don’t know the difference between hunger and thirst and most of us are dehydrated a lot of the time. We get this feeling and think we are hungry so we snack when we should be drinking water.  You need to drink at least 50% of your body weight in ounces of water every day.  So if you weigh 200 lbs you should be drinking 100 ounces of water every day.  This will go a long way in reducing cravings between meals.

I gave up all sugary drinks and mostly only drink water and homemade loose leaf tea.  Drink about a gallon of tea a day plus some water.  Definitely feel better and stopped gaining weight, but that might just be because I burn a lot of calories doing the pee pee dance during class.