Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

I’ve personally never had any weight issues, just how I’m built, but do have to fight the ab war, trying to keep my core. I drink a lot of non-sugary drinks, water etc but also tons of coffee, admitted coffee addict here. 

I walk whenever possible, hate escalators with people just standing there in front of you. The more you walk, at lunch etc., the better. 

Switched from milk to almond milk years ago, no fast food, red meat only now and then. 

For me, it’s all a combination of keeping active and trying to eat more or less right

What supplements does everyone take?

I think Fouls must own a GNC with all the weightlifting suplements he must take!

As was discussed in the suicide rate thread, diet may be a factor. I've also seen where nutritional values of even healthy foods have plummeted.

Now that I've hit 50, trying to focus more on health knowing I've probably got 40+ more years to go (Factoring in advances in science and healthcare). I do sit alot and my flexibility is probably my major concern. My exercise is more the weekend warrior type. Not concerned about losing weight. 

I take a premium multivitamin (cheap ones are often synthetic, minimum doses), Fish oil, Vitamin D, probiotics, Turmeric and eye vitamins daily. Then I rotate in vitamin C, CoQ10, Astaxanthin and what I call something experimental. Might be something to boost my mitochondria or NAD+.  

I know I probably go a little overboard and have seen studies that indicate against, but do see a lot of science behind what I do. The hardest part is wading thru the marketing and sensationalizing to get to the truth.   

On 6/5/2018 at 8:26 AM, rico said:

Although my original post was in jest.....there is truth behind it in my case.  3 months ago I went in for my annual check-up.  Doctor said I would be in better health if I took off 30 lbs.  So since then, I have shed 15.  I still drink my beer, but stay away from the carbs.  Eat steak all the time with a green vegetable.  But the most important thing was I cut out the fast food.

Just want to congratulate you on the loss of 15 pounds. 

@Reacher

Right now I supplement with a B vitamin complex, fish oil, probotics, milk thistle, and L glutamine which is good for increasing fat loss brain and digestive health.

I eat well but have been partaking in a bit too much vodka recently so my current supplement stack is geared toward helping my brain and organs get back to optimal performance. Will probably adjust when needed. 

Im losing weight so what I am doing is working.  Very much look forward to being back in shape. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Reacher

Right now I supplement with a B vitamin complex, fish oil, probotics, milk thistle, and L glutamine which is good for increasing fat loss brain and digestive health.

I eat well but have been partaking in a bit too much vodka recently so my current supplement stack is geared toward helping my brain and organs get back to optimal performance. Will probably adjust when needed. 

Im losing weight so what I am doing is working.  Very much look forward to being back in shape. 

Might want to check this out. A bit more comprehensive, still has the milk thistle.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-liver-detoxifier-regenerator-90-caps?DFA=1&UTM_Medium=Shopping&UTM_Source=GOOGLE&UTM_Campaign=SWAN_National_Gen_Shopping_Null_Null_NonBrnd+T1+4055-01+Cleansing+and+Detoxification&UTM_Content=PRODUCT+GROUP&SourceCode=INTL4061&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhK6u6LjM2wIVRLjACh3sHQI9EAQYASABEgI8RvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

About 10 years ago I reached an all time weight wise of 230 range (I'm 5'10). Went carb free with 2 workouts per day for a year. No booze, no smokes,etc...and went down to 154 lbs. Eggs were a VITAL part to my year. The nutrition folks can say all they want. Eggs are good for you and help you lose weight as well. 

I think the extra 76 lbs I was carrying was far more dangerous than having an extra 12-18 eggs per week. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

About 10 years ago I reached an all time weight wise of 230 range (I'm 5'10). Went carb free with 2 workouts per day for a year. No booze, no smokes,etc...and went down to 154 lbs. Eggs were a VITAL part to my year. The nutrition folks can say all they want. Eggs are good for you and help you lose weight as well. 

I think the extra 76 lbs I was carrying was far more dangerous than having an extra 12-18 eggs per week. 

Congrats.  I'm not at 230 yet, but could get there if I don't do something.   I've started and stopped multiple times and lost 10-15 pounds quickly.  Then the backsliding starts.  tthis thread is motivating me to start again and stick with it.

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Congrats.  I'm not at 230 yet, but could get there if I don't do something.   I've started and stopped multiple times and lost 10-15 pounds quickly.  Then the backsliding starts.  tthis thread is motivating me to start again and stick with it.

Just like with most things. It takes a supportive cast or friend or workout buddy. Going it alone is tough. I compared it to when my wife was prepping for bar exam. She basically told me I'll see you in a few months. I did the same. Morning workout. At work for 10-11 hour day. Come home. Workout. Maybe an hour of meal prep and relax....and do the same thing over and over again for months. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think most people recognize the benefits of eggs; they're a good source of protein and not high in calories. The downside is that they are high in cholesterol hence my answer that yes, they are good or bad for you. 

I personally don't eat eggs, be that on their own or cooked into something, but I think they are a better option than a lot of processed foods people eat. I'm guessing if you were that big, your diet was completely awful and eggs were a huge step up which is awesome for you! 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think most people recognize the benefits of eggs; they're a good source of protein and not high in calories. The downside is that they are high in cholesterol hence my answer that yes, they are good or bad for you. 

I personally don't eat eggs, be that on their own or cooked into something, but I think they are a better option than a lot of processed foods people eat. I'm guessing if you were that big, your diet was completely awful and eggs were a huge step up which is awesome for you! 

Went to work on Wall St after IU for 2 years. Moved back to Indy at 23. 14-16 hour days of non stop on the go eating, drinking, lifestyle makes you gain about 5-10 lbs per year. Next thing you know you wake up and your 31 and boom...you weigh 230. Me eating healthy was a sub from Marsh which consists of some of the most unhealthy meats/cheeses/breads in the world.

I did Eggs, veggies, chicken, cottage cheese, turkey bacon, asparagus, any meat....basically ate the same meals for a year. I won't ever go back to that 20 something world again diet wise. 

• Like 1

I'm 6' and weigh 250 on a good day.  The heck with all you little guys lol.  I've always had a bigger build, and even when I played baseball in college where we ran probably 10 miles a week, did sprints, worked out, and ate decent, I was still 210.  If I can get back down to 215 I'll be real happy.  I think I'd have to starve myself to go back under 200.

Would anybody be up for doing a separate thread just to motivate people to eat healthy and lose weight?  I know my biggest thing is accountability, so I could get people's weight and put them in a spread sheet to show how much they are losing and what percentage they are losing.  Anybody up for it?

23 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I couldn't read the article because it is behind a paywall, but my personal answer to are eggs healthy or not is.... yes. 

What did the article say? 

The link to that article let me in so I was able to read. Basically covered both sides. Government agencies are behind the times with their guidelines and that eggs can be healthy. Egg producers want to advertise as such but can't. Pointed out the the fact that they do have lots of cholesterol. 

IMO, the government needs to realize that certain cholesterol is ok and healthy for you and get with current science but they are still stuck on the food pyramid emphasizing grains. Not easy to admit you are wrong (and responsible for the poor health of many Americans???) 

21 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm 6' and weigh 250 on a good day.  The heck with all you little guys lol.  I've always had a bigger build, and even when I played baseball in college where we ran probably 10 miles a week, did sprints, worked out, and ate decent, I was still 210.  If I can get back down to 215 I'll be real happy.  I think I'd have to starve myself to go back under 200.

Would anybody be up for doing a separate thread just to motivate people to eat healthy and lose weight?  I know my biggest thing is accountability, so I could get people's weight and put them in a spread sheet to show how much they are losing and what percentage they are losing.  Anybody up for it?

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Leathernecks

Im up for it.

Ive always had a big build myself.  Im currently 6' 3" 278.  My goal is to get down to about 12-15% body fat and maintain.  Ive estimated I will need to drop down to about 240 to be in that range. 

While I could probably lose 5 lbs, I wouldn't make a good participant but think it would be worthwhile doing and I'm sure myself and many others would check in and help root you on.

19 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The link to that article let me in so I was able to read. Basically covered both sides. Government agencies are behind the times with their guidelines and that eggs can be healthy. Egg producers want to advertise as such but can't. Pointed out the the fact that they do have lots of cholesterol. 

IMO, the government needs to realize that certain cholesterol is ok and healthy for you and get with current science but they are still stuck on the food pyramid emphasizing grains. Not easy to admit you are wrong (and responsible for the poor health of many Americans???) 

I figured. One thing with eggs, all the cholesterol is in the yolk so even if it is bad it is easily avoidable. I've seen other studies around eggs that show some negative benefits that don't deal with cholesterol primarily, but to me, it is all relative to what you are eating the egg instead of. I think eggs may increase the risk, long-term, of some health problems but short term they are a lot better than the risk you get from some other foods we consume. 

18 minutes ago, Reacher said:

While I could probably lose 5 lbs, I wouldn't make a good participant but think it would be worthwhile doing and I'm sure myself and many others would check in and help root you on.

Yeah, I'd participate in that thread! I don't really need to lose much weight, but always happy to motivate and talk about the health benefits of different foods and activities. 

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I figured. One thing with eggs, all the cholesterol is in the yolk so even if it is bad it is easily avoidable. I've seen other studies around eggs that show some negative benefits that don't deal with cholesterol primarily, but to me, it is all relative to what you are eating the egg instead of. I think eggs may increase the risk, long-term, of some health problems but short term they are a lot better than the risk you get from some other foods we consume. 

I'd love to know the differences between farm fresh and eggs from store. Besides color and lower cholesterol. When we owned a condo at Eagle Pointe I'd go have beers at Fairfax Inn around the corner. This guy would come in every Friday and sell farm fresh eggs. $1 a dozen. Best deal going. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd love to know the differences between farm fresh and eggs from store. Besides color and lower cholesterol. When we owned a condo at Eagle Pointe I'd go have beers at Fairfax Inn around the corner. This guy would come in every Friday and sell farm fresh eggs. $1 a dozen. Best deal going. 

I have heard there is quite a bit of difference, but I have nothing to back that up with.