Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

I work in a microbiology lab in an egg production facility so can provide some info.

The chickens that produce commercial eggs are vaccinated to protect against salmonella and fed a consistent gain based feed blend so the eggs are consistent in appearance and nutrients. 

Farm eggs can vary depending on how the are fed. I buy local farm eggs. First, the color and richness of the yolk is definitely noticeable in flavor, as in alot better tasting. They are more vitamin rich especially omega 3 and vitamin A.  The quality will vary based on feed.

I prefer free roam pastured eggs, the chickens that lay these are free to roam and eat whatever they find like insects, seeds, worms ect.  these are probably the most nutritious. I get them unwashed and clean at home. There is a protective membrane between the shell and dirt/poo that keeps the inside of the shell sterile. Washing takes off the dirt and protective membrane. So was right before use. The shell colors will can be blue, green, yellow, really any color due to the various food sources.

Another farmer I buy from sells free range.  He provides feed and lets them roam so the chickens have two types of food sources. They are more consistent but still more nutritious better tasting than store bought.

I recommend pastured free range if you can find them. 

Edited by mrflynn03
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I work in a microbiology lab in an egg production facility so can provide some info.

The chickens that produce commercial eggs are vaccinated to protect against salmonella and fed a consistent gain based feed blend so the eggs are consistent in appearance and nutrients. 

Farm eggs can vary depending on how the are fed. I buy local farm eggs. First, the color and richness of the yolk is definitely noticeable in flavor, as in alot better tasting. They are more vitamin rich especially omega 3 and vitamin A.  The quality will vary based on feed.

I prefer free roam pastures eggs, the chickens that lay these are free to roam and eat whatever they find like insects, seeds, worms ect.  these are probably the most nutritious. I get them unwashed and clean at home. There is a protective membrane between the shell and dirt/poo that keeps the inside of the shell sterile. Washing takes off the dirt and protective membrane. So was right before use. The shell colors will can be blue, green, yellow, really any color due to the various food sources.

Another farmer I buy from sells free range.  He provides feed and lets them roam so the chickens have two types of food sources. They are more consistent but still more nutritious better tasting than store bought.

Kind of backs up what I said earlier in this thread.  

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I prefer free roam pastured eggs, the chickens that lay these are free to roam and eat whatever they find like insects, seeds, worms ect.  these are probably the most nutritious. I get them unwashed and clean at home. There is a protective membrane between the shell and dirt/poo that keeps the inside of the shell sterile. Washing takes off the dirt and protective membrane. So was right before use. The shell colors will can be blue, green, yellow, really any color due to the various food sources.

Thank you for this. Always was curious.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. Have to agree.  And for that one, rico has earned the coveted milehiiu.... "salute of the day". 

What day does he get the salute of the day?  He posted it June 4th, but you just saw it today.  Is the salute of the day today or is it a retroactive salute for June 4th?  And if it is June 4th, are you sure you didn't give somebody else the salute of the day for that day?  Then it would be the salutes of the day.  But if it is today, maybe his doctor has told him something difference since then, and the joke no longer applies?  Plus, Rico is leading in the weight loss thread, so maybe his doctor would say something different now.  I can't keep it all straight!

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

What day does he get the salute of the day?  He posted it June 4th, but you just saw it today.  Is the salute of the day today or is it a retroactive salute for June 4th?  And if it is June 4th, are you sure you didn't give somebody else the salute of the day for that day?  Then it would be the salutes of the day.  But if it is today, maybe his doctor has told him something difference since then, and the joke no longer applies?  Plus, Rico is leading in the weight loss thread, so maybe his doctor would say something different now.  I can't keep it all straight!

Funny stuff.  No salute of the day for you.  Just a milehiiu..... "Well done" of the day.   Figure that day out.   LOL

Oh, by the way.  Thanks for being a great member.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I was wondering that myself!!!!!!!!  LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Funny stuff.  No salute of the day for you.  Just a milehiiu..... "Well done" of the day.   Figure that day out.   LOL

Oh, by the way.  Thanks for being a great member.

Thanks!

In case people haven't seen the movie I linked, Almost Heroes is one of Chris Farley's best.  Highly recommend watching it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Things were definitely not going well for me for a while.  Put on a decent amount of weight.

Last week I started running to try to get back in shape.  Before I came here, I just posted to my classes that I encourage them to reach out to help keep me on track.

This time I got a fitness and nutrition tracker and I've been logging everything into it.  It has been really helpful, and I am actually enjoying it.  Hopefully I can keep it up.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Things were definitely not going well for me for a while.  Put on a decent amount of weight.

Last week I started running to try to get back in shape.  Before I came here, I just posted to my classes that I encourage them to reach out to help keep me on track.

This time I got a fitness and nutrition tracker and I've been logging everything into it.  It has been really helpful, and I am actually enjoying it.  Hopefully I can keep it up.

Cool! Good luck.

I made cupcakes.  lol

51 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I’m in a similar boat. I quit drinking Mt Dew and started intermittent fasting. 

I gained roughly 7-8 lbs during the first 30 days of quarantine from March 12-April 12. Day after Easter I said enough is enough. Nothing flashy but more planned approach to meals, far less carbs and I do 2 daily walks to get my 6 miles per day in.

Started going in the good direction again....but man it's hard. So don't beat yourself up if throw on a few during these times. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I blew up to 293. Currently around 255. Still work to do. My ideal weight is about 220. In 6'3 with a frame that can carry some weight. 6'3 220 seems about right. 

I got up to 275, and now down to 260.  I'm shooting for about 215.

Sometimes for entertainment I look up "healthy weights" for different heights.  I'm 6' on a good day, and I'd probably have to get down to about 180 to not be overweight.  I was 5' 10" and 180 pounds as a freshman in high school.  I'd look anorexic at 180 pounds.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I got up to 275, and now down to 260.  I'm shooting for about 215.

Sometimes for entertainment I look up "healthy weights" for different heights.  I'm 6' on a good day, and I'd probably have to get down to about 180 to not be overweight.  I was 5' 10" and 180 pounds as a freshman in high school.  I'd look anorexic at 180 pounds.

I played basketball,baseball, and football from about 5 yrs old through high school.  Lifted weights starting about 7th grade.  My recommend weight is 185 at 6'3".  I would look like a holocaust survivor at that weight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1