"Real ID"

rico

Well it was time to get my driver's license renewed.  I was aware of the new program that goes into effect 2020(?).  So I take my birth certificate in.  My existing DL.  My social security card.  Two pieces of current mail that are not hand addressed.  Bam..........I got a star on my new license, but it made me feel like I was in the 1st grade.  Or is that a smiley face?

In Colorado, you can't just walk in to renew your driver's license.  With an exception... they still have a couple of places that still accept walk in's.  Never got a notice that the process had changed.  I found this out the hard way last summer when it came time to renew my license that was about to expire after 10 years.  Yes, 10 years.  One of the few that were issued that long.  Not the case any longer.  Need to generate revenue.  I guess.  And have the public spend a major part of their day... just to renew a DL. 

Anyway, it was when I went in to renew my DL at the closest place. Just a couple of miles from my house, that I discovered I had to register on line before I could get a renewal. Found out that the closest walkin was over 20 miles from my house.  So went there.... traffic and all.  Took me over half the day, just to renew, my license.

And I took in the documents that would show that I am a veteran on my new license. I did not know about that the last time I renewed. And could have gotten a license with the designation before my license had expired. But rather than giving me a license with the designation, I would have had to pay for an entire new license. So I waited til my license expired last summer. When I eventually renewed,   I asked several times if that what was all I needed to get it to show veteran on my license. And every time, I was assured that would happen.

Well..... it did not happen.  Oh I got the military designation, all right.  But instead of showing I was a Vet.... it shows me as active Army !   Thought about contacting them to get it corrected... and then said to my self ..... not worth the effort.  So... here I am.... your 72 year old Regular Army man.   LOL. 

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In Colorado, you can't just walk in to renew your driver's license.  With an exception... they still have a couple of places that still accept walk in's.  Never got a notice that the process had changed.  I found this out the hard way last summer when it came time to renew my license that was about to expire after 10 years.  Yes, 10 years.  One of the few that were issued that long.  Not the case any longer.  Need to generate revenue.  I guess.  And have the public spend a major part of their day... just to renew a DL. 

Anyway, it was when I went in to renew my DL at the closest place. Just a couple of miles from my house, that I discovered I had to register on line before I could get a renewal. Found out that the closest walkin was over 20 miles from my house.  So went there.... traffic and all.  Took me over half the day, just to renew, my license.

And I took in the documents that would show that I am a veteran on my new license. I did not know about that the last time I renewed. And could have gotten a license with the designation before my license had expired. But rather than giving me a license with the designation, I would have had to pay for an entire new license. So I waited til my license expired last summer. When I eventually renewed,   I asked several times if that what was all I needed to get it to show veteran on my license. And every time, I was assured that would happen.

Well..... it did not happen.  Oh I got the military designation, all right.  But instead of showing I was a Vet.... it shows me as active Army !   Thought about contacting them to get it corrected... and then said to my self ..... not worth the effort.  So... here I am.... your 72 year old Regular Army man.   LOL. 

I don't think we are talking about the same thing here?  By the year 2020 you have to have a "Real ID" to fly on a commercial craft.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I don't think we are talking about the same thing here?  By the year 2020 you have to have a "Real ID" to fly on a commercial craft.

HA. HA.  Guess I got sidetracked when you said you went in to renew your DL.  Is this an Indiana thing or a National Thing ?  And does it still apply for people, like me who have a passport ?    Thanks for the headsup. 

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

HA. HA.  Guess I got sidetracked when you said you went in to renew your DL.  Is this an Indiana thing or a National Thing ?  And does it still apply for people, like me who have a passport ?    Thanks for the headsup. 

It is a national thing.

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Passports will always work for travel. New ID's actually started in 2005 but shockingly (haha) some groups had issue with them and it's been pushed to Oct 2020. 

Archived