Harbaugh on Purdue's Facilities

32 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That will be fixed once the south end zone renovations go through. I get his point but he came off pretty whiny IMO. 

I just checked out the South End Zone renovations, as well as all the other major improvements to the workout facility, and offices, etc.  Very impressive !

Is it Nebraska that has the visitor's locker room walls painted in pink ?  I believe on B1G school has pink walls for the visitors. 

3 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

That was IOWA !! Hates their Coach , Hayde Fry , who had them do that !!

Thanks HTD.  When Fry was still coaching at Iowa,my family and i flew on the same commercial airplane as he, out of Denver to Cancun.  Spoke briefly to him. Told him I was an IU grad. He said good school !  What was surprising to me, after spending a week in Cancan, got on the plane in Cancun for the flight back to Denver, and who should walk on the plane and take a seat behind us.... it was Coach Fry.  Saw me, and said hello.  Brief encounter.  But seemed like a nice guy to me.

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I just checked out the South End Zone renovations, as well as all the other major improvements to the workout facility, and offices, etc.  Very impressive !

Is it Nebraska that has the visitor's locker room walls painted in pink ?  I believe on B1G school has pink walls for the visitors. 

I'm pumped about them! If we continue to have high attendance, I think the south end zone project will start even sooner you know? I'm hoping they start within the next few years. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I'm pumped about them! If we continue to have high attendance, I think the south end zone project will start even sooner you know? I'm hoping they start within the next few years. 

According to one of the video's I saw on the renovations, PU is expecting to get a $50 million infusion from the Big Ten Network, next pay day.  That certainly should help, as they stated the only thing holding it up was money.  IU has been fortunate to have several wealthy alumni willing to donate millions to help jump start  many of our projects. 

And Purdue's response to Harbaugh's comments:

Purdue regards the welfare of all student-athletes as its No. 1 priority. We would fully support a conversation regarding a conference-wide set of guidelines for visiting football team accommodations because we have experienced less-than-ideal conditions on the road. There is no place for gamesmanship when it comes to player care and safety.

The after-the-fact concerns expressed by Michigan are somewhat surprising because a member of its football staff conducted a walk-thru of our facilities with our athletics department staff at Ross-Ade Stadium on July 18.

Furthermore, to help teams prepare in advance, our visiting team manual highlights in bold type “there is no air conditioning in the (visiting) locker room,” with accompanying Purdue Athletics staff contact information about how to request preferred temporary accommodations. We did not receive any such request.

Basic x-ray is available within our athletic footprint and more-sophisticated capabilities are located two blocks away, similar to the arrangements at many other schools. Our sports medicine staff members, in fact, have received numerous compliments from their Michigan counterparts regarding the care they received at Purdue.

It looks bad for him to complain because none of it was a surprise. Someone from his staff came two months ago and knew all of this information. Their fault for not asking for help with temporary A/C. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks HTD.  When Fry was still coaching at Iowa,my family and i flew on the same commercial airplane as he, out of Denver to Cancun.  Spoke briefly to him. Told him I was an IU grad. He said good school !  What was surprising to me, after spending a week in Cancan, got on the plane in Cancun for the flight back to Denver, and who should walk on the plane and take a seat behind us.... it was Coach Fry.  Saw me, and said hello.  Brief encounter.  But seemed like a nice guy to me.

lol you're welcome.  NH is generally my initials.  Probably glossed over my post, understood.

My thoughts on his comments.

Purdue / Unsanitary is a redundant expression.

Only two urinals - Probably two more than what's in the Home team locker room.

People watching players change - Many voyeurs on the Purdue campus watching the visiting football players actually think they are looking at the Purdue cheerleaders.

Ok, this comes from a coach, from a school, whose facilities have escalators and they basically want for nothing. I was in their club for last year’s game, I was afraid the sleet and snow might be uncomfortable, and they had big wide fine leather chairs and workers bringing snacks and drinks, didn’t even have to get up. So it really isn’t a big surprise he would feelpurdue facilties are dated. New construction is dated compared to the life they live at their place.

Mile: What you said about Hayden Fry made me think about my second wife [ my last wife , -she caused me to hate marraige ] !! She had a public persona that was " so sweet and butter would not melt in her mouth": type of public personality !! But- wow in private she was a [ censured] dirty beach[vbg] to live with ! Kind of like some politicians on the campaign trail , acting so clean & good and charming  but becoming arse holes when they get elected !! 

• 1 month later...

Some more information has come out about the handling of Wilton Speight's injury while at Purdue.  His parents were interviewed and provided some pretty damning statements about the way everything was handled and the facilities.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2017/10/26/wilton-speight-injury-handled-poorly-purdue-father-says/107045682/

41 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Some more information has come out about the handling of Wilton Speight's injury while at Purdue.  His parents were interviewed and provided some pretty damning statements about the way everything was handled and the facilities.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2017/10/26/wilton-speight-injury-handled-poorly-purdue-father-says/107045682/

Any reason why they conveniently left out the part about Michigan’s medical staff allowing him to walk off the field under his own power? Seems pretty dumb if there was a chance for a neck/spinal injury. 

The Michigan medical staff allows him to walk off the field, down to the locker room, sit in the front seat of a van to be transported 2 blocks, all while having a neck/back injury, and they do nothing to immobilize him.  And Purdue is the bad guy in all of this?

Obviously Purdue didn't handle it well at all, but this would have been entirely different if he was strapped to a backboard either on the field or in the locker room.  If he shows up at any of those places on a backboard like he should have, the situation would have been handled with much more urgency and care.

33 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The Michigan medical staff allows him to walk off the field, down to the locker room, sit in the front seat of a van to be transported 2 blocks, all while having a neck/back injury, and they do nothing to immobilize him.  And Purdue is the bad guy in all of this?

Obviously Purdue didn't handle it well at all, but this would have been entirely different if he was strapped to a backboard either on the field or in the locker room.  If he shows up at any of those places on a backboard like he should have, the situation would have been handled with much more urgency and care.

You echo my thoughts exactly.  And I will go one step further.  If the Michigan staff had done their jobs correctly an ambulance should have been called and the kid should have been whisked off to a hospital immediately.

1 hour ago, rico said:

You echo my thoughts exactly.  And I will go one step further.  If the Michigan staff had done their jobs correctly an ambulance should have been called and the kid should have been whisked off to a hospital immediately.

Exactly! You and Leathernecks hit the nail on the head here. 

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly! You and Leathernecks hit the nail on the head here. 

A big part of me thinks that Harbaugh is deflecting.  He knows his staff screwed up.  But he is deflecting the blame towards Purdue.  When the blame is with him and his staff.  

Archived