Indiana / Kentucky All Star Games

14 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

If Brooks and Jackson-Davis are back from the USA Basketball trials, that could be a good game Wednesday between the juniors and seniors.  It would be nice if there were a video feed.

Yeah,  I hope they are back.  The 5 KenSucky fans that actual care about high school basketball are bragging about sweeping the Junior all-star games this past weekend.  Not having Brooks and TJD just might have made a difference in those games.  Just maybe.

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah,  I hope they are back.  The 5 KenSucky fans that actual care about high school basketball are bragging about sweeping the Junior all-star games this past weekend.  Not having Brooks and TJD just might have made a difference in those games.  Just maybe.

Not just them though. Bell and Newman didnt play either. 

1 hour ago, BoomBaby said:

If Brooks and Jackson-Davis are back from the USA Basketball trials, that could be a good game Wednesday between the juniors and seniors.  It would be nice if there were a video feed.

I think they would still lose by 20+

But.. it'd be better games than the junior high team that KY will play against them. 

Some random thoughts for the game:

• Kentucky came out as a team on a mission.  They hit the floor and promptly hit Indiana in the face (figuratively), and hit Romeo in the face (literally) on his first shot attempt.  There was no call on the play, and this seemed to set the tone for the whole game.
  • Indiana was outplayed, out hustled, out coached, and out classed.  I found it hard not to root for the Kentucky kids, because they clearly wanted it more.
  • I was shocked to see Mile's box score.  I would've guessed Romeo had 6-8 points.  That was the quietest 17 I've ever seen.  I know it was an off game for him, but if that was the first time you had sen him, I think it would be fair to question all of the hype.
  • The people behind me were going down the rosters prior to the game, "Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue" and "Kansas Community College, St. Louis, Northern Kentucky", and laughing....they  left the game early as well.
  • Phinisee had zero assists!!!
  • Anderson is an athletic freak.  He'd make a hell of a wide receiver.  I'm going to enjoy watching him.
  • Indiana must've missed 12-15 lay-ups.  I'd love to see a shot chart.
  • After the game, Phinisee came out of the locker room and hugged who I presume was his mom.  He spent a couple of minutes with his family and moved out to the floor to sit with the other players and wait for the bus.  Then Romeo came out Rob's mom went up and gave him a big hug.  I thought that was  great to see.  It really adds some truth to the "Big Family" behind IU basketball.

Anyway, it was a great game to watch, much better than most of these all star events.  The team that wanted it more won, and they deserve all of the credit for that.  Now, the Indiana kids need to respond tonight.

Just my two cents....:D

Such a disappointing outcome.  Even if they win by 30 tonight, it does not take away the results of this game.  Interesting that Sean East may have had the best game for Indiana.  A kid with something still to prove.  

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Final score 109-81. Much better effort tonight.  Commentators indicated at one point that officials let a lot of fouls go uncalled last night.  Romeo is game MVP with 22.

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like the boys were a little fired up about last nights turnout.

I was at the game tonight.  My observations.

• Romeo needs to be more aggressive.  He's very hard to stop when he decides he's going to score.  Most of his misses are when he settles for a jumper.  I still say he is at IU for 2 years.
  • Phinisee will be a very solid 4 year player at IU, but Devonte needs to be our starter at PG next season.
  • Damezi is very unorthodox.  He's gangly, and his movements on the court are herky-jerky.  But, he's effective. Started, but played very little in the first half, but got more PT in the second.  I could see him being anywhere from a heavy rotation player as a freshman to being someone who rarely gets off the bench.  His game is just so awkward looking, but he has something that makes me believe in him.
  • Aaron Henry is very good when he wants to be, but was extremely lazy at times, especially on defense.  If he takes the right attitude to MSU, he'll be solid.  But, I could just as easily see him getting shredded and spit out by Izzo.
  • Eric Hunter will not be anything special at Purdue.  Seemed to be a little selfish.
  • If he stays out of trouble, Mekhi Lairy will be a star at Miami (Ohio), and could get national attention as a special player despite his size.  The kid is such a dynamic offensive player.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I was at the game tonight.  My observations.

• Romeo needs to be more aggressive.  He's very hard to stop when he decides he's going to score.  Most of his misses are when he settles for a jumper.  I still say he is at IU for 2 years.
  • Phinisee will be a very solid 4 year player at IU, but Devonte needs to be our starter at PG next season.
  • Damezi is very unorthodox.  He's gangly, and his movements on the court are herky-jerky.  But, he's effective. Started, but played very little in the first half, but got more PT in the second.  I could see him being anywhere from a heavy rotation player as a freshman to being someone who rarely gets off the bench.  His game is just so awkward looking, but he has something that makes me believe in him.
  • Aaron Henry is very good when he wants to be, but was extremely lazy at times, especially on defense.  If he takes the right attitude to MSU, he'll be solid.  But, I could just as easily see him getting shredded and spit out by Izzo.
  • Eric Hunter will not be anything special at Purdue.  Seemed to be a little selfish.
  • If he stays out of trouble, Mekhi Lairy will be a star at Miami (Ohio), and could get national attention as a special player despite his size.  The kid is such a dynamic offensive player.

I'll second Phinisee vs. Green.  Love Rob's attitude and his willingness to be a team player, but I don't see him as a starter next year.  Green is way better at this point and if reports of his early summer are accurate, Rob may average 5-10 minutes next year tops.  He'll be behind Durham as well.  That being said, I think next year could yield some giant steps in his game and I'm glad to have him.  I just don't see him playing a huge role next season unless he takes a giant leap over the summer.

I'm even more flabbergasted now than I was before on how this Indiana team lost last night.  They are EASILY 25 points better than Kentucky.  I need to go back and do some research, but I think you may be hard pressed to find a bigger upset in the history of the series.

On another note, they honored the 10, 20, 30, 40, & 50 year anniversary teams between the boys and girls games.  Landon Turner was there from the '78 team, and they also played an interview with him on the jumbo-tron.  Great to see him 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm even more flabbergasted now than I was before on how this Indiana team lost last night.  They are EASILY 25 points better than Kentucky.  I need to go back and do some research, but I think you may be hard pressed to find a bigger upset in the history of the series.

S..... happens.  I would not get too upset about the first game results.  Now.... get on campus and start working as a team .  That's what should count. 

Archived