Brandon Dawkins Arrives

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'd be shocked if Penix doesn't RS

My guess is Penix didn't choose IU over Florida State to redshirt but I understand that kids don't always get what they want. With the extra time he's put in I wouldn't just hand the job to Dawkins. I'll reserve judgement until I see Dawkins actually play in this system but both are probably better options than Ramsey which is why I could see Penix not redshirting. The only way I do see Penix redshirting is if Ramsey made vast strides in the off season, developing his ability to get the ball down the field because nothing but screen passes and 5-15 yard routes wont cut it in this league. With Westbrook back we need someone who can get him the ball down the field and open up the middle for the other guys.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

My guess is Penix didn't choose IU over Florida State to redshirt but I understand that kids don't always get what they want. With the extra time he's put in I wouldn't just hand the job to Dawkins. I'll reserve judgement until I see Dawkins actually play in this system but both are probably better options than Ramsey which is why I could see Penix not redshirting. The only way I do see Penix redshirting is if Ramsey made vast strides in the off season, developing his ability to get the ball down the field because nothing but screen passes and 5-15 yard routes wont cut it in this league. With Westbrook back we need someone who can get him the ball down the field and open up the middle for the other guys.

Dawkins isnt getting beat out. Penix RS to save a year. Maybe if Dawkins gets hurt, Penix burns the RS. Plenty of Ramsey's problems had nothing to do with his arm strength. 

I'm not really worried about any of that though. I do think Penix could use 10-15lbs before he steps on the field. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Dawkins isnt getting beat out. Penix RS to save a year. Maybe if Dawkins gets hurt, Penix burns the RS. Plenty of Ramsey's problems had nothing to do with his arm strength. 

I'm not really worried about any of that though. I do think Penix could use 10-15lbs before he steps on the field. 

Agree.  Nice insurance to have, in case of injury.  Redshirt or not.

Oh, man.  I am getting excited for some Hoosier football.  And nice to know I don't have to worry about the BTN for the first game.  Not that I am against the BTN.... just that my cable provider (Comcast) dropped the BTN..... and this week told me they may drop the BTN for the entire country !

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Agreed.  I don't see any way Dawkins isn't the starter unless he's injured.  His feet provide something that nobody else can match, and nobody else has an arm that will blow his away.

Ramsey is a fine quarterback in this league.  Not great, not terrible, but he's more than serviceable as a backup/spot starter.

I think Penix is the future after this year, so I'd be really disappointed if we burn his redshirt outside of an injury to Dawkins.  Worst case scenario of Dawkins and Ramsey going down for part of a game, throw Reese Taylor back there and tell him not to get killed.  If we make a bowl and save Penix's redshirt, that will be a very successful season.

While I believe that the best player should get to start, it's often frustrating not seeing some stability under center. If you want a player to get better, he need reps in games. 

Ramsey showed flashes of great play last year, but we struggled to stay healthy and provide relief opposite of Simmie Cobbs.

The coaching staff needs to be confident in the starter they choose and not bench him after one bad half. We as fans often get mad and call for the benching, but that does everyone a disservice. 

Penix could be a long-term answer for QB stability. He has a big arm, didn't turn the ball over much (30 pass TDs to 5 INTs), and could make plays with his legs (449 rush yds with 10 TDs). I wouldn't be surprised if they redshirted him, but his spring play and knowledge of the playbook may jump him over Ramsey and Dawkins. 

Stat Sources: MaxPreps. 

3 hours ago, HoosierHopeful said:

While I believe that the best player should get to start, it's often frustrating not seeing some stability under center. If you want a player to get better, he need reps in games. 

Ramsey showed flashes of great play last year, but we struggled to stay healthy and provide relief opposite of Simmie Cobbs.

The coaching staff needs to be confident in the starter they choose and not bench him after one bad half. We as fans often get mad and call for the benching, but that does everyone a disservice. 

Penix could be a long-term answer for QB stability. He has a big arm, didn't turn the ball over much (30 pass TDs to 5 INTs), and could make plays with his legs (449 rush yds with 10 TDs). I wouldn't be surprised if they redshirted him, but his spring play and knowledge of the playbook may jump him over Ramsey and Dawkins. 

Stat Sources: MaxPreps. 

Appreciate your first post.  Thanks !

Archived