Devonte Green

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/06/07/with-competition-coming-indiana-guard-devonte-green-is-elevating-his-game-this-off-season/

If it was FCTC saying this in the offseason, I would be a little skeptical. Since it is CAM, makes me a little more hopeful we will see an even better DG this year. The PG position is always the key to a great season, but this year seems even more critical for us.

IMO, a dependable DG is the is the difference between us being good and great next year. 

Sure we expect RP to step in if needed, but the more we don’t need to rely on RP the better we’ll be. We need RP as our ‘second weapon’, not as our ‘fall back’ point guard. 

Copy thanks for posting. We'll see, as they say, but this is absolutely what you want to hear, and CAM of course was a point guard in college. Now Green has the chance over the summer to hone his craft, guided by CAM, and it sounds like he is working hard. 

I wouldn't sleep on Durham. If he can get a consistent jumper going, he'll be very good, very fast.

I just hope he gets that street ball type mentality out of his game. Those one handed passes into traffic and those brutal off the bounce mid-range shots were tough to swallow at points last year. I'd would absolutely love to see him get back into that zone he hit mid-way through the Big Ten season consistently. 

3 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

I just hope he gets that street ball type mentality out of his game. Those one handed passes into traffic and those brutal off the bounce mid-range shots were tough to swallow at points last year. I'd would absolutely love to see him get back into that zone he hit mid-way through the Big Ten season consistently. 

I for one don't mind a little city edge to a guy. Not saying every player has to have it but I don't mind our PG having that edge one bit. Yogi had it. Coach Miller said he likes it as well.

Regarding Green I would like to see the poor passes drop (as well as his handle not being so high) too. I'll probably regret posting this but behind Romeo and Morgan...I think he's going to be a big part of our success this year. I think with additional weapons he won't think he has to carry some extra burden and the game will calm down for him a bit. We see glimpses of good last year. I think consistent good...with glimpses of really good will be his jump this season. I'm a fan and hope he proves my optimism right.

I think Devonte will have a good year.  He does not need to have the ball in his hands as much this next season, can now be off the ball from time to time.  Our ball-handling instantly improves next season with Phinisee and Langford at guards, both of whom already handle better than Johnson and Newkirk. 

4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

I think Devonte will have a good year.  He does not need to have the ball in his hands as much this next season, can now be off the ball from time to time.  Our ball-handling instantly improves next season with Phinisee and Langford at guards, both of whom already handle better than Johnson and Newkirk. 

I was thinking similarly, except the jump to Phinisee over soph Al I think is overlooking what Al may do his soph year. Phinisee is coming in as a pure point with a good shot form and percentages, but this is of course the jump to B1G basketball from high school, and the only thing missing from Al's game has been a consistent shot. I'm as interested in hearing about Al's development over the summer as anything else.

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I was thinking similarly, except the jump to Phinisee over soph Al I think is overlooking what Al may do his soph year. Phinisee is coming in as a pure point with a good shot form and percentages, but this is of course the jump to B1G basketball from high school, and the only thing missing from Al's game has been a consistent shot. I'm as interested in hearing about Al's development over the summer as anything else.

Might be a little bit of an exaggeration to say that the only thing missing from Al’s game is a consistent shot.  I think Phinisee could be a better distributor and ballhandler than Al right off the bat.

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Might be a little bit of an exaggeration to say that the only thing missing from Al’s game is a consistent shot.  I think Phinisee could be a better distributor and ballhandler than Al right off the bat.

If Phin is, that will be impressive. I think you're undervaluing Al. Remember he didn't turn it over for multiple games as a frosh. He hit the frosh wall, but has a lot of upside. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If Phin is, that will be impressive. I think you're undervaluing Al. Remember he didn't turn it over for multiple games as a frosh. He hit the frosh wall, but has a lot of upside. We'll see.

He did a decent job taking care of the ball, but I think we IU fans may have overreacted to that a little bit, coming out of the turnover fest that was Crean’s offense the last few years.  He really wasn’t asked to do much with the ball in his hands, and doesn’t seem to me to be a very dynamic ballhandler.  Finished the season with only 39 assists and 25 turnovers.

13 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I see “Good Devonte/Bad Devonte” being a continuing theme next season, just like it was with Troy his junior year.  Hope I’m wrong.

I really hated that with Troy and I really hope it doesn’t get slapped on Devonte. I see where you’re coming from and why that term stuck but it just seems lazy and it’s deceptive about their overall games. 

Sorry to quote you and tag you in this but it’s just a pet peeve of mine. 

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I really hated that with Troy and I really hope it doesn’t get slapped on Devonte. I see where you’re coming from and why that term stuck but it just seems lazy and it’s deceptive about their overall games. 

Sorry to quote you and tag you in this but it’s just a pet peeve of mine. 

Totally fair, as I’m the one that brought it up.  And honestly, I thought it was a pretty accurate way to describe Troy’s game his sophomore/junior year (less so his junior year), and definitely applied to Devonte’s game last year.  Both showed moments of brilliance interspersed with a lot of ridiculously boneheaded plays.  Talented players that you just couldn’t really count on game in and game out.

I think there is alot to improve on for Al.  He is very athletic but was very rough last year and not good at the point.  He can shoot, i have seen some of his high school vid and the kid can shoot.  Not sure why he couldn't last year.  Maybe its just confidence or maybe he needs the contagiousness of another good shooting on the floor with him.  Either way, he will need to up his game if he plans to see the floor for any major minutes.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Totally fair, as I’m the one that brought it up.  And honestly, I thought it was a pretty accurate way to describe Troy’s game his sophomore/junior year (less so his junior year), and definitely applied to Devonte’s game last year.  Both showed moments of brilliance interspersed with a lot of ridiculously boneheaded plays.  Talented players that you just couldn’t really count on game in and game out.

I think a lot of it had to do with Creans frenetic pace and Troy’s ability to push the ball in that baseline / three position offense. You could get games where he’s be outstanding and then you’d get games where he’d disappear and to me a lot of it was down to how that wing/baseline was played in our system and a lot of it circumstance due to natural random elements throughout the game. Maybe not so much as hey he’s got it tonight! or hey he’s completely terrible tonight! 

I’d just hate for that good/bad Devonte to stick like it did all over social media for Troy and mess with his confidence because he’s definitely somewhat of a confidence player.

That’s how I saw it at least and maybe not for you or others.

edit: Troy was much much better in transition than your prototypical three and in the system that we played mistakes were bound to happen. I just think people kind of forgot that Troy was doing a little bit of everything and when he committed a few to’s people tended to remember that and forget the smaller things he did. Yes im a Troy appologist but I think I’m fair and accurate. Look at how OG played the three after Troy left. We were so much more fluid with Troy.

37 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I think a lot of it had to do with Creans frenetic pace and Troy’s ability to push the ball in that baseline / three position offense. You could get games where he’s be outstanding and then you’d get games where he’d disappear and to me a lot of it was down to how that wing/baseline was played in our system and a lot of it circumstance due to natural random elements throughout the game. Maybe not so much as hey he’s got it tonight! or hey he’s completely terrible tonight! 

I’d just hate for that good/bad Devonte to stick like it did all over social media for Troy and mess with his confidence because he’s definitely somewhat of a confidence player.

That’s how I saw it at least and maybe not for you or others.

edit: Troy was much much better in transition than your prototypical three and in the system that we played mistakes were bound to happen. I just think people kind of forgot that Troy was doing a little bit of everything and when he committed a few to’s people tended to remember that and forget the smaller things he did. Yes im a Troy appologist but I think I’m fair and accurate. Look at how OG played the three after Troy left. We were so much more fluid with Troy.

Oh I’m definitely not a Troy hater.  We don’t come close to winning that conference championship in ‘15-‘16 without him. I do think a lot of it had to do with Crean trying to play him like a primary ballhandler when he clearly wasn’t cut out for that role.  I also think he was just starting to put everything together toward the end of his junior year, and unfortunately (for us) he left before he was able to show the consistency we all wanted to see.

We’ll see if Devonte can speed up the process this season. 

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Oh I’m definitely not a Troy hater.  We don’t come close to winning that conference championship in ‘15-‘16 without him. I do think a lot of it had to do with Crean trying to play him like a primary ballhandler when he clearly wasn’t cut out for that role.  I also think he was just starting to put everything together toward the end of his junior year, and unfortunately (for us) he left before he was able to show the consistency we all wanted to see.

We’ll see if Devonte can speed up the process this season. 

Yeah, we’re basicslly on the same page here. Cheers. 👍

Archived