Class of 2018 Arrives Today, We Look Back to the Best

39 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I can't remember who, if anyone came in with them, but Jay Edwards & Lyndon Jones made a nice class all by themselves.

Yep.  I think it was Mark Robinson, but you are right, there was a ton of hype and buzz around Edwards and Jones.  Someone else pointed out the 78 Kitchel/Wittman/Turner trio also.  I think I'll need to make a few edits here since this is an article that will evergreen.

TDH.  Another fine job. Great research.  And personally, I can't find fault with any of your choices.

Having said that, I would like to present a recruiting class that was far from the best.  And goes back perhaps to a time when most HSN members were not even born yet. However, it had what I have said for years, as for me, was the greatest Hoosier of all.  Walter "Big Bell" Bellamy.  He was out of North Carolina.  And I recall the nights listening to WOWO radio out of Fort Wayne, always impressed with Bellamy's game.

Again, far from the best.... the 1958 IU squad, aside from Bellamy was notable to me for one other thing.  We talk a lot about how kids from the Northern part of Indiana are rare when donning the Candy Stripes.  Yet that 1958 squad was dominated by players from Northern Indiana.  As a youngster, I remember watching LeRoy Gamble and Randy Williams from Gary, play high school ball, before matriculating to IU. 

And others from the Northern part of Indiana that were on that 1958 squad were : Frank Radovich, from Hammond.....Herbie Lee, from South Bend....Bob Wilkinson, from LaParte.... and Leroy Johnson, from Mishawaka.

P0020384

Surprised the 2007 class didn't get mentioned. Gordon alone made it a top class. Crawford underrated 3 star who has 7-8 years in the NBA. Fun list to think on!

*My favorite class of all time remains 89. After growing pain first year...set the stage for 2 conf titles and 46-8 over the next 3 seasons in conference play. 

On 6/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, milehiiu said:

TDH.  Another fine job. Great research.  And personally, I can't find fault with any of your choices.

Having said that, I would like to present a recruiting class that was far from the best.  And goes back perhaps to a time when most HSN members were not even born yet. However, it had what I have said for years, as for me, was the greatest Hoosier of all.  Walter "Big Bell" Bellamy.  He was out of North Carolina.  And I recall the nights listening to WOWO radio out of Fort Wayne, always impressed with Bellamy's game.

Again, far from the best.... the 1958 IU squad, aside from Bellamy was notable to me for one other thing.  We talk a lot about how kids from the Northern part of Indiana are rare when donning the Candy Stripes.  Yet that 1958 squad was dominated by players from Northern Indiana.  As a youngster, I remember watching LeRoy Gamble and Randy Williams from Gary, play high school ball, before matriculating to IU. 

And others from the Northern part of Indiana that were on that 1958 squad were : Frank Radovich, from Hammond.....Herbie Lee, from South Bend....Bob Wilkinson, from LaParte.... and Leroy Johnson, from Mishawaka.

P0020384

Walt Bellamy is the often forgotten man in discussions about the best players ever at Indiana. The guy was a freak of nature. As I recall he had a nice long NBA career as well. Always nice to see someone representing the guys from the fifties and sixties.

59 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Always nice to see someone representing the guys from the fifties and sixties.

Most on here were not  born before some of the greats, like Jimmy and the Twins.  Hard to hold it against them, if they never had the opportunity to see some of the other IU greats. And I fully well understand, when I post about some of the guys from the 50's and 60's..... hoping that some of our members appreciate the "history" lesson... and those that were around, like me, at the time.... appreciate a stroll down memory lane. 

I appreciate the history lessons.  I didn't start following IU BB until I went to Bloomington in1979 to get my MS degree.  I also went back in 85 to get my doctorate degree.  I've been I die hard fan since the 79/80 season.  And, I was fortunate to be in Bloomington when IU won both the 81 and 87 championships so thanks for all you do Mile...

10 minutes ago, TN_Hoosier said:

I appreciate the history lessons.  I didn't start following IU BB until I went to Bloomington in1979 to get my MS degree.  I also went back in 85 to get my doctorate degree.  I've been I die hard fan since the 79/80 season.  And, I was fortunate to be in Bloomington when IU won both the 81 and 87 championships so thanks for all you do Mile...

My pleasure.  And.... it's always fun for me to learn more about our members, beyond just their username.   Just last week, we learned about one of our members who made a living for upwards of a decade, as a professional poker player.  And over the years have learned about so many other members. So, thanks for sharing, and allowing all us to get to know more about you. 

Also, as a Vietnam Veteran, I want to tell you how much I appreciate your avatar.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Most on here were not  born before some of the greats, like Jimmy and the Twins.  Hard to hold it against them, if they never had the opportunity to see some of the other IU greats. And I fully well understand, when I post about some of the guys from the 50's and 60's..... hoping that some of our members appreciate the "history" lesson... and those that were around, like me, at the time.... appreciate a stroll down memory lane. 

Dad fills me in on what I "missed".  Rayl was a player.  

1 minute ago, TN_Hoosier said:

As a FYI Mile, I too am a Vietnam Veteran.  Used the GI Bill to get my BS degree from Rochester Institute of Technology, and had enough months left to pay for half of my MS degree in Bloomington.

Well, then.  I will offer up to you something I never heard, when I was in the Army :   "Thanks for your service ! "

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Dad fills me in on what I "missed".  Rayl was a player.  

Not taking anything away from Steve.  However, as the linked story says, Jimmy was arguably the best shooter in IUBB history.  For me, it is not even arguable.  He was the best.

Also, I recall to this day watching that game where he tied his record (which still stands today) for most points in an IU game.  And still wonder why Branch took Jimmy out with several minutes still left in the game.

Throwback Thursday: Jimmy Rayl talks 56-point game for Indiana basketball

Editing to add :  I just noticed the linked article on Jimmy was written by my good friend Alex McCarthy,  who left Hoosier Sports Nation to work for the newspaper in Juneau, Alaska.  The link shows Peegs.... but it was originally written for our old 247/Inside Indiana site.

Anyhow for those who remember Alex, here's some of his stuff, after leaving us:

ALEX McCARTHY | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

I like the 89 class most because my earliest iubb memories are the final four run and the next season.

My dad won the game ball from the iu duke game in the final four from a radio contest.  I remember going to assembly hall and getting it autographed as the guys came out of the locker room. 

Attended Coach Knight basketball camp from 94 - 97.  So got to meet and hang around some of those guys. Pretty cool for a young kid. 

Something else I remember is after the 1993 season the iu seniors and some underclassmen ( can only remember a few) came to my hometown of washington to play an all star team made up washington alumni.

My dad was one of the referees.  It was in april around or on my birthday. As a birthday present my dad was able to get a seat under each basket for me and a friend to be towel boys. Got to spend some time in the locker room after the game too.

Wish I could remember more details. 

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something else I remember is after the 1993 season the iu seniors and some underclassmen ( can only remember a few) came to my hometown of washington to play an all star team made up washington alumni.

My dad was one of the referees.  It was in april around or on my birthday. As a birthday present my dad was able to get a seat under each basket for me and a friend to be towel boys. Got to spend some time in the locker room after the game too.

Wish I could remember more details. 

Pretty cool stuff in your last two posts.  Thanks for sharing.  I love this kind of "Stuff". 

Did you  know the Zeller family ?

@milehiiu

I knew Luke and his dad.  In the summer the team would get together and play pickup games each week. So I played in the summers with Luke and his dad. I was a junior when Luke was a freshman. Decided not to play my last 2 years and focused on football so i wasnt on the team with him. But kept playing in the summer.  Tyler and Cody were young enough I really wasnt around them much . 

Something else you might like. 

Sam alford graduated from and coached at Washington before going to New Castle so Steve alford has ties to Washington. I went to the same church as Steve's grandma.  One sunday I decided to go hunting instead of church.  I get home and my mom says i should have went, because Steve was in town visiting his grandma and was at church that day. I was pretty bummed. 

43 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@milehiiu

I knew Luke and his dad.  In the summer the team would get together and play pickup games each week. So I played in the summers with Luke and his dad. I was a junior when Luke was a freshman. Decided not to play my last 2 years and focused on football so i wasnt on the team with him. But kept playing in the summer.  Tyler and Cody were young enough I really wasnt around them much . 

Something else you might like. 

Sam alford graduated from and coached at Washington before going to New Castle so Steve alford has ties to Washington. I went to the same church as Steve's grandma.  One sunday I decided to go hunting instead of church.  I get home and my mom says i should have went, because Steve was in town visiting his grandma and was at church that day. I was pretty bummed. 

Thanks for sharing.   I just love this kind of "Stuff".

Much of the inside "Stuff" I have gotten over the years is from people just like you.  Always willing to share. 

Archived