Mason Gillis Commits to Purdue

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They're still basketball players. I'd take Gillis. 

One is in Bloomington, and a Hoosier.  One has decided to go to Purdue.  I’ll take Anderson who committed to play for the team I follow, was one of the top players in the State in his class, played for a team that had an undefeated season until late in the tournament, can shot the lights out, was offered by our coach: I’ll take Anderson.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

One is in Bloomington, and a Hoosier.  One has decided to go to Purdue.  I’ll take Anderson who committed to play for the team I follow, was one of the top players in the State in his class, played for a team that had an undefeated season until late in the tournament, can shot the lights out, was offered by our coach: I’ll take Anderson.  

Ok. Lol might check Gillis's teams results out because his New Castle team was damn good this year and would give that SBR team all they want if they were to match up. 

We didnt offer RJ Barrett, so is Romeo better than he is?

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why? Obviously those two are better than Gillis. But that wasnt what the discussion was about.. it was about guys ranked similarly. I am not high on Anderson at all. 

It matters to me because Gillis was not available when Anderson was taken.  Skill level-wise, I don't see much difference between the two either, but I haven't paid much attention to Gillis since until recently, as he wasn't on my radar at all.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It matters to me because Gillis was not available when Anderson was taken.  Skill level-wise, I don't see much difference between the two either, but I haven't paid much attention to Gillis until recently as he wasn't on my radar at all.

We were simply talking about players ranked similarly. I think Gillis is a better player, and I think Hunter is better as well, but I think RP is better than all those I mentioned. Again.. players ranked similarly was what we were discussing. 

I know Gillis is certainly more of an inside player, but if you look at his highlights.. his shot looks good and smooth. Will be able to shoot a spot up 3 in college for sure. 

Also.. fwiw.. Gillis had 14 and 11 vs Carmel. They lost by 2. 

Anderson had 6pts and they lost by 20. 

Maybe that's an apples to oranges thing again idk. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know Gillis is certainly more of an inside player, but if you look at his highlights.. his shot looks good and smooth. Will be able to shoot a spot up 3 in college for sure. 

That's a pretty small sample size to me.  Anderson is an outside shooter with size. I'm assuming he was recruited to fill a need.  IU showed some late interest in Gillis, but apparently, his skill set didn't really fill a perceived need or they would have chased him a lot harder.  Like Henry, Gillis just wasn't at the top of our board. Time will tell if that was a mistake, but to me, it doesn't matter if he was ranked as high or higher. He simply didn't fill a need like Anderson did at the time he was recruited.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's a pretty small sample size to me.  Anderson is an outside shooter with size. I'm assuming he was recruited to fill a need.  IU showed some late interest in Gillis, but apparently, his skill set didn't really fill a perceived need or they would have chased him a lot harder.  Like Henry, Gillis just wasn't at the top of our board. Time will tell if that was a mistake, but to me, it doesn't matter if he was ranked as high or higher. He simply didn't fill a need like Anderson did at the time he was recruited.

That's why I put "FWIW". His team also beat Bloomington South and thumped the 2A state champ. I guess Anderson might fill a need 2-3 years down the road. I don't think it's a mistake, KDB and TJD are both better. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep good point on the baseball thing. Wonder if he can play baseball at Purdue too or if that would be too much to handle. 

Probabaly could if he pitched which is easier to adjust to were as hitting would be tough because it's such a huge timing thing it's hard to jump back in he box and be a good hitter. 

Jamies Winston pitched at Florida state. 

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Probabaly could if he pitched which is easier to adjust to were as hitting would be tough because it's such a huge timing thing it's hard to jump back in he box and be a good hitter. 

Jamies Winston pitched at Florida state. 

Good point. Believe he has a really good bat though. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Why? Obviously those two are better than Gillis. But that wasnt what the discussion was about.. it was about guys ranked similarly. I am not high on Anderson at all. 

Why are you down on Damezi? I like him and think he will be a good shooter and stretch the defense for us. He isn't no program changing talent obviously but I think he will fit in with his ability to stretch the defense. In his interviews he seems all about winning and doing the little things to help the team win. Solid 4 year guy. I don't want the team loaded with all 1 or 2 and dones. I think a similar approach to how Villanova does things is the way to go. Gotta mix young game changers with 4 year vets. Killer combo.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

You seem to be building a strong opinion on an anecdote.  Anderson is the all-time leading scorer from his area.  Won’t bore you with how the matchups and defensive focus may have been different vs the two teams.

15 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Right. But that doesn't mean he is bad player. He is ultimately ranked like what top 150 in America? We are in good on better players tho and I think that's why Archie passed on him. 

I think Gillis being in THIS class is ultimately why he didnt get the offer. TJD, Watford, KB, and Stewart all similar positions. 

21 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

You follow a team that considers a Big Ten Title equivalent to NCAA championships.  Go play in the road.  Gillis is 6’6 “big man” with limited ball handling.  Good luck.  

Big man? Lol. He’s a guy who can shoot well and has decent handles. He has a lot of potential. He’ll be a wing not a big guy. 

48 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Why are you down on Damezi? I like him and think he will be a good shooter and stretch the defense for us. He isn't no program changing talent obviously but I think he will fit in with his ability to stretch the defense. In his interviews he seems all about winning and doing the little things to help the team win. Solid 4 year guy. I don't want the team loaded with all 1 or 2 and dones. I think a similar approach to how Villanova does things is the way to go. Gotta mix young game changers with 4 year vets. Killer combo.  

I think he is a good kid, for sure and I am certainly not mad about him being a Hoosier. I just dont think hes all that good. BUT.. he does shoot the ball well, with solid size... so, he could for sure develop later on. And it isnt his ranking I'm worried about or anything like that... I wish we could have both Franklin and Newman instead of Anderson. 

Archived