Mason Gillis Commits to Purdue

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Mason is visiting IU today, per TDH. I couldn't find this elsewhere on Twitter, but perhaps @The Daily Hoosiercan provide more info.

It was reported by The Journal Courier here:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/blogs/nathan-baird/2018/06/03/updates-purdue-commitments-and-targets-junior-all-stars/667868002/

Other outlets indicated that date as well.

If anyone wants to learn more about Gillis they can read our brief piece here.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/new-castle-indiana-native-mason-gillis-visiting-iu-today/

Also, what do people think?  Is IU going to offer like they did Franklin?  I do think Gillis has the kind of motor that Archie is looking for.

At this stage, I wouldn't have a clue who to offer and who to pass on.  I guess that's why Archie is paid millions, but I'm glad that's his circus to run and not mine.  Makes it easy to understand why coaches jump to the NBA to have summers off and  be able to DRAFT instead of RECRUIT.

45 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

At this stage, I wouldn't have a clue who to offer and who to pass on.  I guess that's why Archie is paid millions, but I'm glad that's his circus to run and not mine.  Makes it easy to understand why coaches jump to the NBA to have summers off and  be able to DRAFT instead of RECRUIT.

Especially now with (what seems to me) the top recruits wanting to take the process on for as long as they can. 

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

To much drama with NBA players IMO,who wants to draft a player that makes more then the coach,then may leave for more money elsewhere..I would take College any day 

9 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Brad could not be reached for comment...as he's currently on a beach with his family enjoying the summer 

Not according to my intel.  Sources tell me that he and Ainge are at the Garden trying to figure out how they can get Kawhi Leonard to Boston.

Gillis is also an excellent baseball player and has indicated in the past that he might go that route instead of basketball.

I am friends with the AD at New Castle and he hasn't really guessed which sport Gillis is leaning toward.  

I dunno, I sorta feel like the whole NBA coaches get summers completely off might be a bit of a misnomer. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure college coaches are far busier for more of a given year.

Consider the workload on the season:

NBA coach - 82 regular season games; potentially ~21 post season games

NCAA coach - ~35 regular season games, potentially ~8 post season games

While not recruiting during the off-season, the NBA coach’s season is far longer and there are plenty of things that need to be tended to in a professional basketball operation. I think, at the end of the day, overall balance of stress and responsibilities are probably pretty close to even. It likely comes down to which stress is preferable to the individual and, as has been alluded to, which kind of personalities the coach prefers to manage.

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

Gillis is also an excellent baseball player and has indicated in the past that he might go that route instead of basketball.

I am friends with the AD at New Castle and he hasn't really guessed which sport Gillis is leaning toward.  

Wish baseball recruit services weren't behind pay walls. The only problem with baseball is he would be paying his own way. 

12 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

To much drama with NBA players IMO,who wants to draft a player that makes more then the coach,then may leave for more money elsewhere..I would take College any day 

Who wants to have their career hinge on the decision of a 17 or 18 year old kid? I would take the NBA any day. 

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Who wants to have their career hinge on the decision of a 17 or 18 year old kid? I would take the NBA any day. 

Same could be said about NBA..how good will Cleveland be next year if King James goes else where...they won't be in finals again...then their career hinges on the decision of a 30 something year old

Archived