Anthony Harris Commits to North Carolina

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

......The ONLY thing that's going to attract and eventually land these prized recruits is win more games!........Win more games, consistently beat good teams, then we will be turning away top players because we will have more to choose from. One thing I will say that I liked about Crean is, he was able to find "diamonds in the rough" which no one knew about. 

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say if the grad transfer commits it might help us with Harris but if he doesn't I see Harris going to UNC.

Agree. I think it’s all about the grad transfer.  If he commits to UNC, Harris won’t go there.  

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

......The ONLY thing that's going to attract and eventually land these prized recruits is win more games!........Win more games, consistently beat good teams, then we will be turning away top players because we will have more to choose from. One thing I will say that I liked about Crean is, he was able to find "diamonds in the rough" which no one knew about. 

Yes unfortunately Harris can compete for national championships at unc and as of now not some much here

43 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Who do you think were his “diamonds in the rough which no one knew about”.

PS. Agree about winning more games being important. Missing the tourney three years in a row is not a good calling card.

7 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

One thing I will say that I liked about Crean is, he was able to find "diamonds in the rough" which no one knew about. 

It was fun and all to have a low rated recruit ball out, but then you have many more misses that can really hamper a roster. Priller and Gelon most recently. 

37 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

It was fun and all to have a low rated recruit ball out, but then you have many more misses that can really hamper a roster. Priller and Gelon most recently. 

I have to agree. It seems like we had a lot more misses than hits when it came to low ranked projects, or is that just me?

43 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

how important are the 12th and 13th spots on a team. I know this year with injuries but he had some quality players that still could not get minutes with a depleted roster. Many say they would prefer only 11 players on scholly. I don't see the harm in taking kids that  project will be something if it is not taking a spot from a high level player.

7 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

I have to agree. It seems like we had a lot more misses than hits when it came to low ranked projects, or is that just me?

We also had a lot of misses with highly rated players as well. That is more concerning I think.  

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

how important are the 12th and 13th spots on a team. I know this year with injuries but he had some quality players that still could not get minutes with a depleted roster. Many say they would prefer only 11 players on scholly. I don't see the harm in taking kids that  project will be something if it is not taking a spot from a high level player.

We also had a lot of misses with highly rated players as well. That is more concerning I think.  

Great post. 

39 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know this is not the place for it but I think we both agree Leal would NOT be a 12th or 13th man on our roster Luke Brown? Maybe but Leal would be a contributor

Who is he better than or project to be better than on the roster than? If he comes in as a freshman who...I would have gave you maybe Moore or Forrester but heck by the time they would have been juniors and seniors maybe not even them? If we just look at the guards he wouldn’t play in front of any of them. If we land Morton then that’s another he would be behind...Harris and Lester would be ahead of him too if we brought in either of those. He basically would be our 5th or 6 th best guard. Now the question becomes...would he remain there...likely not as he matures...so question is does this kid love IU enough to stay...sit the bench and develop...I think so...and that is why I like him as an end of bench kid.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Who is he better than or project to be better than on the roster than? If he comes in as a freshman who...I would have gave you maybe Moore or Forrester but heck by the time they would have been juniors and seniors maybe not even them? 

Hmmm Durham, Green, Davis, Anderson.... Smith. I mean we aren't very good. You do know that right? 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hmmm Durham, Green, Davis, Anderson.... Smith. I mean we aren't very good. You do know that right? 

Uh those are some of our starters you named correct?? Leal can’t play the 1, 4, or 5. So no he isn’t playing ahead of those guys. Anderson....so you think freshman Leal will be better than a junior Anderson? I’ll take that bet. When Leal comes in he will be behind a junior Anderson, sophomore Armaan, senior Al, and yes I think a sophomore Harris or Lester if we land them. Green and Davis are gone.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Uh those are some of our starters you named correct?? Leal can’t play the 1, 4, or 5. So no he isn’t playing ahead of those guys. Anderson....so you think freshman Leal will be better than a junior Anderson? I’ll take that bet.

That's fine lol 

Your question was "projected" to be better than. Hell he is better than Anderson now.... and projections... yeah, I'll take him being better than all of those in the long run. Anderson can't play the 1, 4, or 4 either. Durham nor Green are PGs... so they can't play the 1, 4, or 5... Smith can't shoot or dribble. So? 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's fine lol 

Your question was "projected" to be better than. Hell he is better than Anderson now.... and projections... yeah, I'll take him being better than all of those in the long run. 

Projected as a freshman year to their junior or senior is what I meant. Not when he is a senior would he be better than a senior Anderson. When he gets to IU it is likely a fact he will be our 12th/13th man...and that’s ok because I think he would buy into that role until he develops...not like Forrester and Moore who transferred. All I meant was Leal is purely a two...could slide and play maybe some 3...and he would not play ahead of anyone currently on the roster.

Just now, dgambill said:

Projected as a freshman year to their junior or senior is what I meant. Not when he is a senior would he be better than a senior Anderson. When he gets to IU it is likely a fact he will be our 12th/13th man...and that’s ok because I think he would buy into that role until he develops...not like Forrester and Moore who transferred.

I'm not that worried about Leal his FR year. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm not that worried about Leal his FR year. 

Neither am I...question is how do you fill out the bottom of your roster...Leal is perfect example of Indiana kid who loves the program...team player...accept getting 2 shots a game or 10...but would work hard and buy his time until he is ready to start...not every kid would do this...most 4 star would want playing time right away. Which is why I am ok with taking Leal as the 12th/13th kid on your roster...otherwise I leave those scholarships unused and save for flexibiltu to sign a grad transfer or a mid season transfer or if you need a bigger class the next year. Point is most 12-13 players transfer out...so why waste resources and stress relationships with coaches and AAU teams promising playing time and opportunities to kids that won’t see the floor. Save that for a kid that will stick with the program and will wait his turn.

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Uh those are some of our starters you named correct?? Leal can’t play the 1, 4, or 5. So no he isn’t playing ahead of those guys. Anderson....so you think freshman Leal will be better than a junior Anderson? I’ll take that bet. When Leal comes in he will be behind a junior Anderson, sophomore Armaan, senior Al, and yes I think a sophomore Harris or Lester if we land them. Green and Davis are gone.

Did I miss where anyone said he would be a starter? I said contributor.  many on here said RP would contribute but many did not expect him to be a starter. AF many say will not see much time til jr year. I would not expect Leal to start but why not get some minutes as a freshman.

53 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did I miss where anyone said he would be a starter? I said contributor.  many on here said RP would contribute but many did not expect him to be a starter. AF many say will not see much time til jr year. I would not expect Leal to start but why not get some minutes as a freshman.

Someone said he won't be our 12th or 13th player. As a freshman I would say in minutes played his freshman year he will be our 12th or 13th player. Now if there are injuries or some given games where we get in bad foul trouble at the guard spot he might play more than others...but on avg he will be one of the last guys off the bench his freshman year. That was the topic....again I think he can be a good player for us in a few years but given what we have at the guard spot and who we project to come in...he will likely not see much playing time...meaning he will be our 12th or 13th guy in our rotation. Not forever...as guys will graduate and he will get older and better than some freshman after him but I don't see how he plays ahead of any of our guards when he comes in. Again nothing against Leal but he isn't like Romeo or anything where he is going to jump right into the starting lineup..he just doesn't project into that type of player. Guys like Harris and Lester even don't project to start for us...but I see them having parts of their game that is advanced enough to get minutes right away. So that was all I was saying....yes...he will be our 12th or 13th guy (if we have that many)....at least for the first year or maybe longer. I don't see anyone projected to be on the roster that would be getting less minutes then him. Maybe some are thinking about Priller etc as our 13th man...God forbid that kind of situation happen again...I doubt that...so it shouldn't be that our 12-13th man should be the same guys year after year....but I do see incoming freshman that might fit that role right away...and later be contributors at least in a year or two or hopefully impactful players by the time they leave. You can go from end of the bench to an impactful player.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know this is not the place for it but I think we both agree Leal would NOT be a 12th or 13th man on our roster Luke Brown? Maybe but Leal would be a contributor

Archived