Anthony Harris Commits to North Carolina

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indiana is just another power 5 conference team now and has been for years 

It was going to take a big name and big money to catapult us even near the top again. It's been too long. We are as cool as grandma to these kids.

We went with Miller. A fine coach but doesn't move the needle in today's world. We are going to have to scratch and claw our way back. It's going to take a LONG time and a lot of patience and even then we are going to have to SUSTAIN it. It is what it is.

It took 25 years and a lot of effort to destroy this program. I mean you have to really try hard to make this program mediocre for 25 years. It's going to be a tough slog.

40 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Was IU recruiting this guy 4 or 5 weeks ago?  The sky is not falling.  I'd prefer to grab a nice grad shooter to help with well shooting and culture.  

Still like the idea of juco guys.  Eating ramen, grinding.  Get someone hungry.  Literally and figuratively.   

Im pretty sure this is the second time recruiting him,cam was on him before he committed to Virginia Tech

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Right now Miami football recruiting is as hot as anyone in the country for the next 2-3 classes. Those results were met because of a new message. The New Miami. You'll see the #tnm online. Right now I feel like Archie and staff better hit on either results or certain recruits soon or that shine is dead in the water. 

How much of that is Manny Diaz though? A thoroughly MIAMI guy who was born and raised there. Heck his dad was the mayor! He knows that city better than ANYONE and with all the talent that southern Florida has, it's going to be hard to not trip over top shelf talent. Plus he went to Florida State. Spent the last few seasons as a Miami-FL coach. Has extensive experience in the ACC with his time at NC State, FSU and Miami. 

The analogy for Indiana would be having a coach that had heavy experience in the Big 10. Dynamic recruiter. Young. And was the son of a former mayor of Bloomington or Martinsville or Bedford or something like that. Heck we could go with  Nashville, Seymour, Columbus or even Indianapolis. Oh and he'd have to have sat under some heavy hitters. Diaz has coached under Bobby Bowden, Dan Mullen, Mack Brown and Mark Richt. 

Love where you are going with it. I like Archie too, but if the Indiana/Miami-FL analogy holds up, then we need a spectacularly special HC at the helm.

Edit to add: with all of that said, Manny Diaz still hasn't won a game as a head coach!!! 🙂

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

For now, this is how the story goes.  We're nothing special in the eyes of most highly ranked recruits and even those in the next level.  The kids in state are important especially until IU begins to win consistently.  Just my opinion, but we need to win with homegrown talent for now.

Couldn’t say it any better. I was hoping and saying franklin and Newman. Now I have been saying Windham and next year Leal and Galloway and I am sure more local names will be popping up

• KDB changed the title to Anthony Harris Commits to North Carolina

This team needs 1 or 2 lights out shooters at all times or the woes that currently befall us will continue.  Archie needs to put all of his focus and energy on finding someone to fill this need and now.  If he doesn’t, his tenure at IU will be a short one.  I am not sure how this is continually overlooked....

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Im pretty sure this is the second time recruiting him,cam was on him before he committed to Virginia Tech

I know but the sky still is not falling.  He chose North Carolina.  It stings but there are still many many hands to be played,  more transfers always happen even up into early 1st semester.  

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I continue to believe the team chemistry issues killed this team (along with injuries), and this was a season TO make the tourney and see change and growth. It didn’t happen so it SEEMS like we went backwards and it changes everything. That’s why next season has to be even a bit better than what we had wanted this season to be to prove to people that last year was a fluke.

gosh I’m hoping because I REALLY like CAM way more than I ever did Crean.

Maybe it was chemistry but does anybody really believe that is going to change. Moore and Forrester move on. Not the first  two I would have put in the chemistry problem . My only guess is the two that I’m thinking had a more of a problem with Romeo who is also leaving.

Once a desired recruit has decided against IU and chooses to go elsewhere, I have zero interest,...period. I have no desire to invest another thought or breath on someone who chooses not to where INDIANA across his chest. I only want players who want to be here and find privilege in doing so. 

As far as I'm concerned, IU fans, Including myself, are wasting time posting about a former IU recruit. 

Next....

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I like Archie too,but in this day and age of recruiting, and winning in general it doesn't take to long to fall behind then it starts snow balling out of control..thats kinda what happened with FCTC,he got off to a good start in recruiting with Hulls C- Wat,Zeller and others,then went down hill...I dont want that to happen to CAM

I don't know that I would go as far to say FCTC went downhill with recruiting. Even after Zeller, he brought in Yogi, Blackmon, Bryant, Anunoby. Maybe the problem was he wasn't very consistent in back to back years? Plus he underachieved way too often.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Was IU recruiting this guy 4 or 5 weeks ago?  The sky is not falling.  I'd prefer to grab a nice grad shooter to help with well shooting and culture.  

Still like the idea of juco guys.  Eating ramen, grinding.  Get someone hungry.  Literally and figuratively.   

True, we only recruited him for 4 or 5 weeks but how many guards have we missed on now? A lot. This is not a fire Archie post but there have been a lot of comments that Archie goes after specific targets while Crean offered everyone under the son. Meanwhile we looked at a guy that Kent State was after but apparently is going to Creighton.  That being said.....TJD, Franklin and Brunk could be a good class, especially if we can add a good shooter.

12 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

O.G. Anunobly and Victor Oladipo ....both not even in the top 100 when recruited.

Did they overachieve vs their rankings? Absolutely! 

I disagree, however, with your “no one knew about them” comment.  Victor had offers from IU, Maryland, Notre Dame, Xavier, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Providence, Missouri, Virginia Tech and others. Duke/Kansas/UNC...no,  but it was not the case that hardly anyone knew about him.

OG. Same thing. 3 SEC offers, 2 BT, Gonzaga and others,

Where Crean really bombed is when he offered guys that no big programs offered. Galon/April/Priller etc. I’m just hoping that Archie does not scramble to that degree.

12 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

For now, this is how the story goes.  We're nothing special in the eyes of most highly ranked recruits and even those in the next level.  The kids in state are important especially until IU begins to win consistently.  Just my opinion, but we need to win with homegrown talent for now.

And we need to hope the state produces another Larry Legend, Steve Alford, Calbert Cheaney, Kent Benson, Cody Zeller, Big O, George McGinnis, and on and on...because we need those types of players, who grew up in Indiana and we need to get them to play for IU.  That's how you change the story...and create the new story of IU.

This is what we need.

12 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I continue to believe the team chemistry issues killed this team (along with injuries), and this was a season TO make the tourney and see change and growth. It didn’t happen so it SEEMS like we went backwards and it changes everything. That’s why next season has to be even a bit better than what we had wanted this season to be to prove to people that last year was a fluke.

gosh I’m hoping because I REALLY like CAM way more than I ever did Crean.

Yep. All day long. Reason for mine and plenty others anger on handling injuries, chemistry issues,etc....because this was the year to show recruits progress. Not it can be used against us. Guess we'll know for sure with our 2020 recruiting efforts.

12 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

It was going to take a big name and big money to catapult us even near the top again. It's been too long. We are as cool as grandma to these kids.

We went with Miller. A fine coach but doesn't move the needle in today's world. We are going to have to scratch and claw our way back. It's going to take a LONG time and a lot of patience and even then we are going to have to SUSTAIN it. It is what it is.

It took 25 years and a lot of effort to destroy this program. I mean you have to really try hard to make this program mediocre for 25 years. It's going to be a tough slog.

So what big name and big money guy is out there that is available who has not been in trouble with the NCAA.

9 hours ago, IU878176 said:

True, we only recruited him for 4 or 5 weeks but how many guards have we missed on now? A lot. This is not a fire Archie post but there have been a lot of comments that Archie goes after specific targets while Crean offered everyone under the son. Meanwhile we looked at a guy that Kent State was after but apparently is going to Creighton.  That being said.....TJD, Franklin and Brunk could be a good class, especially if we can add a good shooter.

How many guards have we missed on now?  Zero point guards.  Newman?  Nope, we took Franklin.   Brooks, not really as he's really a 3.  Last year? Nope landed Romeo.  Don't think Archie offered the Sean McNeil kid. Still in on Lester Quinones.  

We looked at a kid who may wind up at Creighton who has happened to lead his team to a state championship and a state championship runner-up. By all accounts is a late bloomer, as if playing in the toughest conference in the state and leading your team to the championship game two years in a row is flying under the radar.

There is just not a ton of guaranteed minutes. Even though I believe we need to add a starter material scoring guard or shooter.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So what big name and big money guy is out there that is available who has not been in trouble with the NCAA.

Missing the point. If we're as confident as our admin thinks we should be....you go after the guys who say they aren't available. Go make offers. Put your $ where mouth is. That's the part I think most of us have an issue with....we've gone cheap or coaches on the rise in football and basketball ever since Mallory/Knight. Never once did we go after big name.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Missing the point. If we're as confident as our admin thinks we should be....you go after the guys who say they aren't available. Go make offers. Put your $ where mouth is. That's the part I think most of us have an issue with....we've gone cheap or coaches on the rise in football and basketball ever since Mallory/Knight. Never once did we go after big name.

How do you know that we didn't because according to some we went after Donovan.

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How many guards have we missed on now?  Zero point guards.  Newman?  Nope, we took Franklin.   Brooks, not really as he's really a 3.  Last year? Nope landed Romeo.  Don't think Archie offered the Sean McNeil kid. Still in on Lester Quinones.  

Here are the guards we offered in the 2019 class, asterisks for those were able to get to campus on a visit:

Tre Mann (25)
DJ Carton (28)*
Jahmius Ramsey (30)
Jalen Lecque (37)
Lester Quinones (60)*
Anthony Harris (65)*
Harlond Beverly (68)*
James Bouknight (69)
Tyrell Terry (105)
Brandon Newman (118)*
Armaan Franklin (155)*
Jeremiah Francis (167)

Lester is still on the board, and I'll agree Brandon Newman wasn't going to play with Armaan. That's still a lot of targets that chose to play elsewhere. Mann, Carton, Terry and Francis are listed as points by 247, Lecque and Harris as well on Rivals. And of course, Darius Garland was a serious target at the point in the 2018 class.

12 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

I agree.  So let's accept who we are and work hard to move forward.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:16 AM, jv1972iu said:

I agree.  So let's accept who we are and work hard to move forward.

We ain't what we used to be. We have to find ourselves again and I don't think it's about getting top 20 recruits. I think it's about getting players who put team over self, who are proud to represent IU and its history. Most Power 5 players want to go to the NBA, but if that's the one and only concern, I say go after another guy. IU definitely needs an influx of players with a chip on their shoulder. 

Archived