Anthony Harris Commits to North Carolina

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was probably my least favorite guard recruit...so I won't be devastated if he doesn't come here. Seems like a good kid...plays hard...makes sound basketball plays but I'm not seeing elite scoring or athleticism. Honestly I'd rather save the scholly. I'm sure Archie sees something that I don't and how he would fit the team...so who am I to second guess...but I think with the momentum we have from last year and the buzz we have created...we should expect a higher caliber pg.

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This was probably my least favorite guard recruit...so I won't be devastated if he doesn't come here. Seems like a good kid...plays hard...makes sound basketball plays but I'm not seeing elite scoring or athleticism. Honestly I'd rather save the scholly. I'm sure Archie sees something that I don't and how he would fit the team...so who am I to second guess...but I think with the momentum we have from last year and the buzz we have created...we should expect a higher caliber pg.

I think the best thing about this kid is he's a winner. Team Takeover was dominant in EYBL (16-0), Peach Jam (4-1), and won the championship tournament (3-0) to end up 23-1 overall. Doesn't seem to force things, makes good decisions, shoots a high percentage from 3 (in part due to not forcing things and making good decisions). Definitely would take him over banking a scholly, but would rather have Newman.

Hmmm this kid had me at hard nosed and intense defender.  He seemed positive about IU but it seems apparent IU is not top of mind with him.

Not listing someone and then saying you want a visit is erratic even by teenaged standards.  He sounds like a major long shot.  Virginia would make sense for him as a home state school and defense oriented program.  The world won’t spin off its axis, and we can look at other guys.  

37 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I think the best thing about this kid is he's a winner. Team Takeover was dominant in EYBL (16-0), Peach Jam (4-1), and won the championship tournament (3-0) to end up 23-1 overall. Doesn't seem to force things, makes good decisions, shoots a high percentage from 3 (in part due to not forcing things and making good decisions). Definitely would take him over banking a scholly, but would rather have Newman.

Yeah...I only got to watch a couple of his games....he just wasn't aggressive. Didn't penetrate, just hung out around the 3pt line. Didn't make plays for others. Basically faded into the background. When he came out of the game in the second half and didn't play much his team went on big runs. His defense and activity on rebounding at that end looked good I will credit him that. It was just a couple games so I obviously haven't scouted him much....but he was not a factor nor did he really set himself apart. I honestly kept watching him because he was a recruit and he just stood around a lot on offense...take an occasional wide open shot. Again...this is from limited viewing...but from what I've seen of the other guys we are after...I would put him way down on the priority list. I'd rather have Franklin and definitely Newman over him. Also would rather have Bouknight but I do admit Harris is more of a true point guard if Archie feels the need for one because he is an excellent ball handler and seem to value the ball. I just am not seeing the special in the kid...but again I'm not a scout...but to me he looks the weakest in talent of any of our guards we are recruiting.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I feel the opposite. If we're looking at a 4 person class, having a PG to compete with Phinisee would be a really good get. Just IMO but I'd easily take a kid on this roster whose best attribute is his defense. OG and McRoberts are prime examples of how defensive minded/hustler players can be X-factors in closing out games. Not to mention, I'm not worried about a kid lacking elite scoring and athleticism when there's plenty of scoring potential with guys like TJD, KBJ, Nnaji, Newman, Bouknight, etc.

It might end up being a moot point if he doesn't use that last official visit for IU but I heard Rabjohns say on Matt Denison's podcast that IU is the most likely to get that final OV. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I feel the opposite. If we're looking at a 4 person class, having a PG to compete with Phinisee would be a really good get. Just IMO but I'd easily take a kid on this roster whose best attribute is his defense. OG and McRoberts are prime examples of how defensive minded/hustler players can be X-factors in closing out games. Not to mention, I'm not worried about a kid lacking elite scoring and athleticism when there's plenty of scoring potential with guys like TJD, KBJ, Nnaji, Newman, Bouknight, etc.

It might end up being a moot point if he doesn't use that last official visit for IU but I heard Rabjohns say on Matt Denison's podcast that IU is the most likely to get that final OV. 

Assuming Romeo leaves that puts us a 3 open scholarships, who would be leaving giving us a 4 open scholarship potentially?

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Assuming Romeo leaves that puts us a 3 open scholarships, who would be leaving giving us a 4 open scholarship potentially?

It'd be one of those "it will work itself out" type of situations. Not sure who would leave to go pro/or transfer but I heard Rabjohns on Matt Denison's podcast today very briefly skim over the fact that it seems like the IU staff is interested in having a 4 person class. Considering that Archie only plays like max 10 guys, I'd assume one person isn't going to stick around for 4 years just to sit on the end of the bench. 

4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Outside of a transfer which you can’t predict, Smith could be a candidate for going pro. Hunter too according to some. 

Wow I knew Justin had potential but hadn't really thought about him being a possibility in going pro.  I had heard about people saying Hunter could go.  So we could have as many as 5 scholly openings if Romeo, Hunter and Smith all leave for the NBA.  

6 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

If he is our 4th recruit then sure that is fine. I just would prefer to have some elite scoring. Remember after this season we may very likely lose 60-70% of our scoring with Romeo, Morgan, McRoberts, Fitz, and likely Hunter or Smith going pro (I’m counting on one to break out and create that 4th scholly). Don’t get me wrong we will have a lot of guys to step into scoring but if I had my preference it would be to land Nnaji, TJD, Brooks, and Newman or Bouknight. I think Phineese and Al can hold down the one with Green shifting over some. I’d target a pure pg with the next class...but that is just me.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

If he is our 4th recruit then sure that is fine. I just would prefer to have some elite scoring. Remember after this season we may very likely lose 60-70% of our scoring with Romeo, Morgan, McRoberts, Fitz, and likely Hunter or Smith going pro (I’m counting on one to break out and create that 4th scholly). Don’t get me wrong we will have a lot of guys to step into scoring but if I had my preference it would be to land Nnaji, TJD, Brooks, and Newman or Bouknight. I think Phineese and Al can hold down the one with Green shifting over some. I’d target a pure pg with the next class...but that is just me.

Agree 100% with hoping he's the 4th recruit. Everyone else you listed I'd much rather take over him. The reason I think he would be a good get is because he brings an important skillset to round out what we all hope we can land in this class. Not as worried about this with Archie but we all remember past IU teams under Crean struggling when the offense wasn't lights out. I think having an unselfish player with a defense-first mentality would help balance out the possibility of players have a JBJ-type syndrome (lights out shooter but lacking defensive discipline). 

11 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Agree 100% with hoping he's the 4th recruit. Everyone else you listed I'd much rather take over him. The reason I think he would be a good get is because he brings an important skillset to round out what we all hope we can land in this class. Not as worried about this with Archie but we all remember past IU teams under Crean struggling when the offense wasn't lights out. I think having an unselfish player with a defense-first mentality would help balance out the possibility of players have a JBJ-type syndrome (lights out shooter but lacking defensive discipline). 

I get that....trust me I really do. Love the days we had multiple guards that specialized, the Meeks and the Reynolds etc. I loved those guys so I definitely hear what your saying...but I also don't want to end up with and I hope I'm not disrespecting him too much but a Josh Newkirk either. I love all our guys but someone that ended up being kind of a disappointment at least to me. Some reason I get more of that vibe from Harris then the earlier guys I spoke of. But who am I...until Archie has a bad signing I shouldn't question him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived