3 more bowl games?

rico

43 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@milehiiu

I agree that chicago outside that time of year would be unbearable. Especially with games lasting 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. 

I recall many Winter walks down Michigan Avenue or State Street.  No snow, no rain.  But wind.  Combined with the cold, and humidity.   It was miserable.  There's a reason they call it the "Windy City".  And it is not fun in the winter. 

Winter wind in Chicago 

On 6/14/2018 at 4:29 PM, milehiiu said:

All the more reason not to have another bowl game in the Northern Parts of the greatest nation on the face of the Earth.  Gotta have a bowl game in the Northern climes at that time of year ?   Put it indoors.  Or in warmer climes.

Go to Chicago to follow our Hoosiers at that time of year ?  Like I say. Been there. Done that.  Not for me.  Hold the game in Chicago, in Wrigley.... go to the game. I'll stay at home and watch on tv.  Nothing against Chicago. I really like the city. Know it well.  That's why I would not want to chance a ticket at Wrigley... that time of year.

On the other hand... put our Hoosiers in a bowl game in California or Arizona.  At that time of year. Both places I have friends.  And I am buying my airfare.  But not to Chi-town that time of year. 

I have to disagree with you on this one. The problem with games in warmer climates if you don't live near them is who can go? You're going to get a lot more IU fans at games within a days drive of Bloomington.  Most all bowl games are around the holidays, so you basically can't go unless your entire family goes with you. Not many people are going to take off time for the holidays AND then take a few days to go to a non playoff bowl game. And keep in mind Bears games still sell out in the winter. I think you have a better shot at getting 10,000 IU fans to Chicago than you do to California or Arizona. But that's just my two cents. And I live in Chicago :) But I say this in all honesty, I always want to go to an IU bowl game until I realize I am going to have to spend $1000+ to do so. I would like to do that once, but not every time. IU should play as close to Indiana as possible. 

19 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I have to disagree with you on this one. The problem with games in warmer climates if you don't live near them is who can go? You're going to get a lot more IU fans at games within a days drive of Bloomington.  Most all bowl games are around the holidays, so you basically can't go unless your entire family goes with you. Not many people are going to take off time for the holidays AND then take a few days to go to a non playoff bowl game. And keep in mind Bears games still sell out in the winter. I think you have a better shot at getting 10,000 IU fans to Chicago than you do to California or Arizona. But that's just my two cents. And I live in Chicago :) But I say this in all honesty, I always want to go to an IU bowl game until I realize I am going to have to spend $1000+ to do so. I would like to do that once, but not every time. IU should play as close to Indiana as possible. 

Appreciate the input Andy.  And I also appreciate that you have disagreed with me.....doing it in a very civil way.

I do understand your living in Chicago, and wanting to go to an IU Bowl game in Wrigley. Living in Chicago as you do, you do make a valid point in terms of cost.  I do love to visit the city.   And if I lived in Chicago, I too, would love to see our beloved Hoosiers, as you do.

If one does not live in the Midwest, who is going to go ? You ask. There was a reason why I showed videos and notated attendance to IU's first two bowl games.Understand, please, that many, many IU alumni do not live in the Midwest. And others would choose to take time to visit a warmer clime, if living in the Midwest at winter time.Though I believe that Chicago is one of the largest cities for IU alumni, there are many many IU Alumni all over this great nation of ours.  For instance, I am a  lifetime member of the Denver IUAA(as well as the IUAA) which is very large and vibrant. Always planning activities, and game watches.   And... in the past has put together discounted travel packages for IU fans. 

Also, I am with you in that, should IU get on a roll with continuous Bowl appearances.... it would be something to consider in terms of cost travel wise, on an annual basis. Again... keep in mind that IU has fans and alumni all over.  Heck two of our mods live in Arizona, and one lives in Texas. And of course, I live in Denver. 

Thanks for willing to speak up. And being an HSN member.

I do love Chicago. And have relatives in the area.  But there is no way I would spend money to travel there for a Bowl game at that time of year.  Conversely... should IU be granted a bowl game in Orlando, I would be hard pressed not to book a flight, especially considering we have good friends that live there. 

In terms of bowl game at Wrigley. After $ for schools, conferences,etc....the Cubs benefit the most. They don't share gate with the city. You can be certain that Crane Kenney saw the $ the Yankees received and said we need to do that as well. For those that don't know...Cubs and City of Chicago despise each other. Rightfully so on limitations of night games. Reason for the increase in concerts at Wrigley in recent summers. 

In terms of would I be more willing to travel to Wrigley or warm weather? Give me warm weather. Ticket to a game, $50 minimum to park overnight at hotel....$250-$300 range for holiday hotels in Chicago that time of year....a single person is at $500 just to go to game, park your car and stay the night. Not counting food/drink/uber or any other incidentals that come along for those that don't have friends in the area to stay with. 

I'd rather spend the $500 and at least get a tan and perhaps a view of the ocean. Just me though. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

In terms of bowl game at Wrigley. After $ for schools, conferences,etc....the Cubs benefit the most. They don't share gate with the city. You can be certain that Crane Kenney saw the $ the Yankees received and said we need to do that as well. For those that don't know...Cubs and City of Chicago despise each other. Rightfully so on limitations of night games. Reason for the increase in concerts at Wrigley in recent summers. 

In terms of would I be more willing to travel to Wrigley or warm weather? Give me warm weather. Ticket to a game, $50 minimum to park overnight at hotel....$250-$300 range for holiday hotels in Chicago that time of year....a single person is at $500 just to go to game, park your car and stay the night. Not counting food/drink/uber or any other incidentals that come along for those that don't have friends in the area to stay with. 

I'd rather spend the $500 and at least get a tan and perhaps a view of the ocean. Just me though. 

I appreciate this post.  Not to take away from what Andy said about the IU fans that live in Chicago.  I understand where he, and they are coming from.  Getting to see our beloved Hoosiers so close to home would be hard to pass up, regardless of the weather.  You and I both know that Detroit is not that hard of a drive from Chicago.  And a bowl game in a covered stadium would not be intolerable.  Though the drive to and from on I-94 could be spine tingling at that time of year.

Yet the alternative to take the family on vacation in the dead of winter.... away from the cold that time of year is, IMHO, equally appealing.

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I appreciate this post.  Not to take away from what Andy said about the IU fans that live in Chicago.  I understand where he, and they are coming from.  Getting to see our beloved Hoosiers so close to home would be hard to pass up, regardless of the weather.  You and I both know that Detroit is not that hard of a drive from Chicago.  And a bowl game in a covered stadium would not be intolerable.  Though the drive to and from on I-94 could be spine tingling at that time of year.

Yet the alternative to take the family on vacation in the dead of winter.... away from the cold that time of year is, IMHO, equally appealing.

Perfect scenario (minus Rose Bowl) would be Outback Bowl. Anyone who has spent a fair amount of time in SW Florida from Tampa to Sanibel knows how many IU fans there are there in winter. I used to make the joke if I wanted to see my neighbors or people I knew from school I'd go to Naples/Marco/Sanibel instead of North side of Indy.

37 minutes ago, rico said:

I got to thinking about this.  Soooo they call the bowl game at Yankee Stadium the Pinstripe Bowl.  What are they gonna call the one at Wrigley....the Gum Bowl?

Leading candidates:

The Ivy Bowl

The Orange Jump Suit Governor Bowl (former governors serve as ball boys to earn community service hours)

The State's Too Broke to Afford a Sponsor Bowl

The Mafia Bowl

The Winner Plays the Bears for the Best Team in Chicago Bowl

The Pneumonia Bowl

The Deep Dish Pizza Bowl

The Hot Dog Bowl (excess celebrations encouraged)

The Sears Tower Willis Tower Bowl...Screw it, The Sears Tower Bowl

El Bol (because Chicago has the L!)

The Freezing My Ass Off Bowl (Brought to you by Big Ass Fans...If you think you're cold now, try one of our fans.  It will keep you a frigid 10 below in the summer time, just like it is right now)

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Leading candidates:

The Ivy Bowl

The Orange Jump Suit Governor Bowl (former governors serve as ball boys to earn community service hours)

The State's Too Broke to Afford a Sponsor Bowl

The Mafia Bowl

The Winner Plays the Bears for the Best Team in Chicago Bowl

The Pneumonia Bowl

The Deep Dish Pizza Bowl

The Hot Dog Bowl (excess celebrations encouraged)

The Sears Tower Willis Tower Bowl...Screw it, The Sears Tower Bowl

El Bol (because Chicago has the L!)

The Freezing My Ass Off Bowl (Brought to you by Big Ass Fans...If you think you're cold now, try one of our fans.  It will keep you a frigid 10 below in the summer time, just like it is right now)

And for this post, I give to you, the coveted milehiiu "Well Done" of the day !   Congrats.

This is an interesting thread. On one hand it gives teams and their fans one last game and maybe a chance for a short vacation, not bad. But you really can’t ignor the fact that the only reason they are added is because the NCAA sees money. There is a point where saturation occurs and when you see empty stands it is disheartening and reminding that it is somewhat of a consolation game. But, we had a great time at the game in SF, the boys liked it, so I guess if there are sponsors will to support it there isn’t real harm.

2 hours ago, Payday said:

This is an interesting thread. On one hand it gives teams and their fans one last game and maybe a chance for a short vacation, not bad. But you really can’t ignor the fact that the only reason they are added is because the NCAA sees money. There is a point where saturation occurs and when you see empty stands it is disheartening and reminding that it is somewhat of a consolation game. But, we had a great time at the game in SF, the boys liked it, so I guess if there are sponsors will to support it there isn’t real harm.

TV money is talking here.  Wrigley Field?  Hell yeah.  

On 6/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, milehiiu said:

Appreciate the input Andy.  And I also appreciate that you have disagreed with me.....doing it in a very civil way.

I do understand your living in Chicago, and wanting to go to an IU Bowl game in Wrigley. Living in Chicago as you do, you do make a valid point in terms of cost.  I do love to visit the city.   And if I lived in Chicago, I too, would love to see our beloved Hoosiers, as you do.

If one does not live in the Midwest, who is going to go ? You ask. There was a reason why I showed videos and notated attendance to IU's first two bowl games.Understand, please, that many, many IU alumni do not live in the Midwest. And others would choose to take time to visit a warmer clime, if living in the Midwest at winter time.Though I believe that Chicago is one of the largest cities for IU alumni, there are many many IU Alumni all over this great nation of ours.  For instance, I am a  lifetime member of the Denver IUAA(as well as the IUAA) which is very large and vibrant. Always planning activities, and game watches.   And... in the past has put together discounted travel packages for IU fans. 

Also, I am with you in that, should IU get on a roll with continuous Bowl appearances.... it would be something to consider in terms of cost travel wise, on an annual basis. Again... keep in mind that IU has fans and alumni all over.  Heck two of our mods live in Arizona, and one lives in Texas. And of course, I live in Denver. 

Thanks for willing to speak up. And being an HSN member.

I do love Chicago. And have relatives in the area.  But there is no way I would spend money to travel there for a Bowl game at that time of year.  Conversely... should IU be granted a bowl game in Orlando, I would be hard pressed not to book a flight, especially considering we have good friends that live there. 

I totally understand most people wouldn't travel long distances to visit Chicago during the winter. I also understand that IU has a large alumni base so no matter where they go, they'll have support.  My theory is more fans would go to at a bowl game that's within driving distance of Bloomington, regardless of the weather. I would love to go to California (I lived there for 5 years) or Florida, or wherever for a bowl game, but the timing of these games makes it almost impossible for me and (I would assume) most folks who cannot plan a holiday vacation around the game. Obviously it's different for retirees and I know that traveling for the holidays is becoming more and more popular. That being said, it would be a total blast to be able to do so and I hope to sooner than later. Cheers to everything you do on the board. I don't post a lot, but do when I think I can contribute in some way. Go Hoosiers. More bowls=more fun no matter where the game is. 

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I totally understand most people wouldn't travel long distances to visit Chicago during the winter. I also understand that IU has a large alumni base so no matter where they go, they'll have support.  My theory is more fans would go to at a bowl game that's within driving distance of Bloomington, regardless of the weather. I would love to go to California (I lived there for 5 years) or Florida, or wherever for a bowl game, but the timing of these games makes it almost impossible for me and (I would assume) most folks who cannot plan a holiday vacation around the game. Obviously it's different for retirees and I know that traveling for the holidays is becoming more and more popular. That being said, it would be a total blast to be able to do so and I hope to sooner than later. Cheers to everything you do on the board. I don't post a lot, but do when I think I can contribute in some way. Go Hoosiers. More bowls=more fun no matter where the game is. 

You are spot on with the difficulty in planning for these games. There is usually a period of 2-3 weeks between the bowl announcements and the game. It isn't really realistic to plan a vacation in that amount of time for most people.

Bottom line.... let's get IU to a bowl. No matter where, IMHO.  Can't make it or don't desire to make it to the game ?  There always is tv.  

As far as planning goes.  IU Alumni all over the nation, closer to stadiums in warm climates would have the same amount of planning as those living in the Midwest.  So, I feel that is a non starter.  Personally, I would much rather fly/drive where there is no chance of a snowstorm, than knowing that chance is always there, prep time or not. 

On 6/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, milehiiu said:

Bottom line.... let's get IU to a bowl. No matter where, IMHO.  Can't make it or don't desire to make it to the game ?  There always is tv.  

As far as planning goes.  IU Alumni all over the nation, closer to stadiums in warm climates would have the same amount of planning as those living in the Midwest.  So, I feel that is a non starter.  Personally, I would much rather fly/drive where there is no chance of a snowstorm, than knowing that chance is always there, prep time or not. 

ESPN had actually expected some of the bowl games to drop. There is a real concern that the diminished fan support in some games, the empty stadiums, will eventually create a tipping point where people just quit watching them. If you continue to expand you bring in new teams and there is still excitement because some of those teams don’t frequent bowls. But if you quit expanding and the excitement wanes there is a concern that it will fall off on all but the playoff games and suddenly you have advertisers and sponsors running from the sport and the perception, and revenue, is bad. But I guess as long as the economy keeps churning you will continue to have underwriters of the bowls and ten people in the stands. I think they are walking pretty close to the edge as far as number of bowls.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm for reducing the total number of bowls, as opposed to adding more unless they are added to coincide with expanded CFP spots.  I do generally agree there should be at least a couple of bowls in Northern states even if it is only novelty venue games like  Boise , or New York. I can't say the same for Wrigley. other than name value alone, and I do like the Cubs more than anyone else in the NL so that's not it either.

Entertaining the thought of favorable Northern locales for bowls, I've  never liked the Motor City in Detroit, and I would get rid of that first to use Indy or even Columbus at the Crew  MLS Soccer Stadium instead.

I get the whole Wrigley thing, but Lucas Oil Stadium would still be my first pick for reasons other than my obvious bias and  thinking one end zone  just doesn't seem right. There is the roof. The distance is still centrally located, and the building is at least interesting despite not being anywhere near as iconic.The state just isn't synonymous with football (nor a big money market for that matter) in general and we know hoops comes first in winter in indiana. It still doesn't mean it would be a bad place for a mid to high level bowl game for everyone else since it's far enough from the lakes to make parts or most of winters more mild on average.  I doubt we ever see a major bowl anywhere North as it is, but underwriters clearly don't give a crap about fans, or else "The Luke" would be a site or be in serious consideration to land a game right now because it's hands down better for Football than Wrigley Field and even most other Midwestern Stadiums especially for winter time. 

The biggest thing I don't like about the thought of Wrigley is taking the wind out of The Windy City as a football factor. It seems "fair" enough on the surface since both teams get to go the same way, but whether to go with or against the wind is supposed to either offset or super-cede winning possession first on the coin toss. That nearly gets into competitive edge territory, and it's fine to drive the same goal for OT, but my point is the game is already as competitive as it gets anytime they go to OT .It's different at the beginning of a game. It alters the kicking game aspect which is huge whether people like kicking or agree it is important or not, that is still tinkering with a strategic aspect to possession and direction. Booo to Chicago, but if it's for IU my a** will still be there! Lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Until such time that the advertisers cease financially supporting the tv bowl games they will continue to add games regardless of the attendance. They absolutely do not care if there are ten people in the stands as long as the tv dollars come in. Folks, they are going to ride that horse to the college football bowl horse drops to the ground and because of the NCAA dollars coming in, the ESPN and other networks dollars coming in, there isn’t one thing that can be done, sadly. But nobody who does not live in a cold weather venue is going to go to a cold weather game unless their team is playing so if they are worried about the stands, which is a small part of the income, they had better choose wisely and get teams who have a history of fans traveling well. For me, if I have a choice between the Bahama Bowl (or something like that) and cold ass Chicago with it’s new “rat capital” status, going to choose bahama and my bet is so will everyone of you.

Archived