3 more bowl games?

rico

Playing a game in Wrigley Field is a stupid idea.  Not just for the time of year.  But also because of space.  I recall watching an Illinios vs Northwestern game being played there. Where each team had to change field on offensive possessions, because they could not fit a full field into Wrigley.  Just a stupid, stupid idea. 

Only One End Zone to Be Used for Football Game at Wrigley Field - The New York Times

Renovations aside.  Still a stupid idea to hold a bowl game in an out side venue in Chicago at that time of year.

I grew up within miles of Wrigley and know what the weather conditions can be at that time of year.

But thanks for the link.  Been a while.  Used to go to Wrigley all the time growing up.  Would love to see the renovated Wrigley. 

And I do recall watching the Bears playing in Wrigley before moving. 

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I really think there doesnt need to be more bowls and maybe even fewer.  I about lost my mind the first time I saw a 5 - 7 team in a bowl game. 

Agree with you there. In addition to losing teams getting in with a losing record, and  despite all the sports cable channels and what not.  I was not able to view IU's bowl game a few years back.

All the more reason not to have another bowl game in the Northern Parts of the greatest nation on the face of the Earth.  Gotta have a bowl game in the Northern climes at that time of year ?   Put it indoors.  Or in warmer climes.

Go to Chicago to follow our Hoosiers at that time of year ?  Like I say. Been there. Done that.  Not for me.  Hold the game in Chicago, in Wrigley.... go to the game. I'll stay at home and watch on tv.  Nothing against Chicago. I really like the city. Know it well.  That's why I would not want to chance a ticket at Wrigley... that time of year.

On the other hand... put our Hoosiers in a bowl game in California or Arizona.  At that time of year. Both places I have friends.  And I am buying my airfare.  But not to Chi-town that time of year. 

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have been to chicago that time of year but I have not been to New York so I dont how it would compare. But the wind in chicago can turn a tolerable winter day into an unbearable day.  

A B1G bowl game at Wrigley Field would outdraw a B1G bowl game on the west coast, hands down, convincingly.

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Renovations aside.  Still a stupid idea to hold a bowl game in an out side venue in Chicago at that time of year.

I grew up within miles of Wrigley and know what the weather conditions can be at that time of year.

But thanks for the link.  Been a while.  Used to go to Wrigley all the time growing up.  Would love to see the renovated Wrigley. 

And I do recall watching the Bears playing in Wrigley before moving. 

Ummmm, the Bears play at Soldier field and they play outside in the weather.  Nothing wrong with a bowl game at Wrigley.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

Ummmm, the Bears play at Soldier field and they play outside in the weather.  Nothing wrong with a bowl game at Wrigley.  

I think you missed the point.  The Bears play multiple games outside.  Plus Pro vs College.  The Bowl game is a one shot deal. Why not ensure that the weather is better suited for the fans. 

IU's first two bowl games were played in California.... as was their last bowl game.  I find all three relevant, in terms of weather, and crowd size.

IU played in front of 101438 in Pasadena, and52501 in San Diego.

Additionally, when IU played a bowl game in a Northern climate, in the nation's largest city.... the game only drew 37218, also  in a stadium designed for baseball,  that holds 54251.

43 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

IU's first two bowl games were played in California.... as was their last bowl game.  I find all three relevant, in terms of weather, and crowd size.

IU played in front of 101438 in Pasadena, and52501 in San Diego.

Additionally, when IU played a bowl game in a Northern climate, in the nation's largest city.... the game only drew 37218, also  in a stadium designed for baseball,  that holds 54251.

This isn't 1979 anymore. There was no HDTV, along with a variety of other cultural differences that make that Holiday Bowl game completely irrelevant. And obviously the Rose Bowl is completely irrelevant since it doesn't matter what teams are there, it is going to draw a crowd.

Since you brought up the Pinstripe Bowl, let's compare it to a contemporary bowl game, one that actually matters in this conversation.

The 2015 Pinstripe Bowl drew 37,000 people, almost 70% of capacity.

The 2016 Foster Farms Bowl drew 28,000 people, just over 40% of capacity.

Going west does not make sense for the Big Ten.

20 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

This isn't 1979 anymore. There was no HDTV, along with a variety of other cultural differences that make that Holiday Bowl game completely irrelevant. And obviously the Rose Bowl is completely irrelevant since it doesn't matter what teams are there, it is going to draw a crowd.

Since you brought up the Pinstripe Bowl, let's compare it to a contemporary bowl game, one that actually matters in this conversation.

The 2015 Pinstripe Bowl drew 37,000 people, almost 70% of capacity.

The 2016 Foster Farms Bowl drew 28,000 people, just over 40% of capacity.

Going west does not make sense for the Big Ten.

Well....it does if they are in the "Final Four".  But I get your point.

Guys continue to miss my point.  Of course the scene has changed since '67 or '79.  There is tv money for more bowl games than ever before.

And to me, it matters not.... what day of the week the game is played.  Of course, more will be watching on weekends, than weeknights.

The point is this..... comfort for the IU fans that are willing and able to support our Hoosiers in person.

Game does not have to be played in the West.  Plenty of other bowl games in warm climates from coast to coast.

College football bowl game calendar 2017-2018,

Personally, if I am going to travel to an IU Bowl game.... I would much prefer to view the game in a warm climate that time of year, rather than in the cold and windy confines of Wrigley Field. 

@milehiiu

You mention tv money and it reminded me of an article I read about pro football attendance.  Basically said it doesnt matter if people show up to the games because they make most of their money selling ad space for tv.

Maybe that's the case here. They dont care about fan comfort because they dont care if they come. Chicago is a huge media market they probably want to tap. 

I agree that chicago outside that time of year would be unbearable. Especially with games lasting 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. 

Archived