Weight loss motivational thread

Some people were talking in the "over weight guys" thread about wanting to lose weight, so I thought I'd start a new thread to help motivate people.  I know my biggest thing is accountability, so I'm going to make a spreadsheet showing weight lost (hopefully!) and update it each week.  Anybody else who wants to participate, let me know and I'll add you to the sheet.  Even if you want to use an alias, just PM me.

I'll give people a few days, and people can join at any time, but I'll post the spreadsheet with starting weights on Sunday or Monday.

This will hopefully be a good thread for people to offer motivation and helpful tips and ideas.  I'm hoping to lose 30-40 pounds, so hopefully this will give me extra motivation!

LINK TO VIEW DOCUMENT

image.thumb.png.42f2e16ca50d2232fdf27610cac7316e.png

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been avoiding the scale recently, knowing it would not be good.  My curiosity got the best of me this morning, so I decided to see what to expect before the official weigh-in on Sunday.  Not good at all.  My highest weight ever.  If I wasn't motivated before, I definitely am now.  

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I had been avoiding the scale recently, knowing it would not be good.  My curiosity got the best of me this morning, so I decided to see what to expect before the official weigh-in on Sunday.  Not good at all.  My highest weight ever.  If I wasn't motivated before, I definitely am now.  

Happens to the best of us dude.  I knew I had a problem when it was all I could to tie my own shoes or put socks on.  Pitiful.  

12 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Some might say that sitting in front of one's computer, posting on a message board all day is counterproductive to this thread....

:coffee:

Well, I can't have sex all day long.  She does get sore!!!!!!!!!!  

For those of you that are trying to lose weight, just keep in mind diet is the majority of the battle. Excercise certainly helps (and I highly recommend it) but you have to eat a healthy diet. 

One thing to be very mindful of is what you consume in the form of liquids. Liquids can ruin your diet in a hurry, even things you think may be healthy. Stick to majority/all water if you are trying to lose weight. If you need to change it, go with a La Croix or something along those lines. Even Diet Soda is going to make it hard to lose weight because you will crave other things. 

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

For those of you that are trying to lose weight, just keep in mind diet is the majority of the battle. Excercise certainly helps (and I highly recommend it) but you have to eat a healthy diet. 

One thing to be very mindful of is what you consume in the form of liquids. Liquids can ruin your diet in a hurry, even things you think may be healthy. Stick to majority/all water if you are trying to lose weight. If you need to change it, go with a La Croix or something along those lines. Even Diet Soda is going to make it hard to lose weight because you will crave other things. 

All excellent points!

In an overly simplified way, it's a math equation.  Running a mile burns 150-200 calories.  Eating a salad with chicken breast and a homemade olive oil based dressing can cut close to 1000 calories off of eating pizza or something else that is high in calories.  That's a 5-7 mile run in just that one meal.

Having said that though, exercising builds muscle which increases strength and stamina which can lead to more calories burned down the road.  The popular saying is 80% diet, 20% exercise, but for people who aren't really active, I'd put it at 60% diet, 40% exercise.  Just because I think its important to build up muscle, stamina, boost metabolism, and it makes you feel darn good afterwards which can lead to making healthier choices.

That doesn't get into what the calories are coming from which is why it is simplified and goes along with the diet soda part you mentioned.  I used to down Diet Dr. Pepper by the freaking case.  It was bad.  One of my students gave up pop for new year and encouraged me to do the same, and I haven't had pop for over 3 years.  Best change I ever made!  For a while I was drinking the sugary teas like Lipton, etc., but recently I kicked those too.  Its all homemade loose leaf tea for me.

And spoiler alert, it really does make you feel better and give you more energy when you cut out all the sugary drinks.  Only bad thing is I'm about addicted to this tea.  Its delicious (but super healthy!).

I have the spreadsheet all made.  Each week when new numbers go in, it will automatically fill in the rest of the info.  It looks a little weird now because I have a few weeks set up so I could do a sample to make sure it is all working.

People can join at any time!  It only takes about 15 seconds to add a new person.

If percentage each week and/or total percentage lost is positive, the cell will be green.  If its negative, the cell will be red.

For % of way to goal, if you're 0-25% of the way it is yellow, 25-50% is light blue, 50-75% is cyan, 75-99.99% is magenta, and 100% and above is green.  At least that's what Google tells me the colors are.  I'm a guy, so there's about 7 colors and everything else is a combination or shade of those 7 colors!

It's a Google sheet, and here is a link to the document that updates in real time as I update it.  I'll post a screenshot here each week when I update them.  I'll update the original post each week too to make them easy to find.

Weights can either be posted here and I can get them, or message them to me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nY1TW7SJOAyHTF2RNupXrvFLieRaISCviMl_tvKNMso/edit?usp=sharing

image.thumb.png.438a472859a85cfb80d3e4d9b10a0787.png

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Still waiting for Rico to get his weight in, but we're underway!  I'll keep putting the updated spreadsheet in the original post.  Good luck to all involved, and new people can join at any time.

PM sent.

I hope everybody is enjoying their first couple days of the diet (or continuation for some of you).  I'm 6 for 6 on semi decent meals.  I'm going for more of a healthy view of losing weight than a diet view of losing weight.  Some favorite recipes so far for me are:

Roasted Garbanzo Beans

Superhero muffins

I strongly recommend the Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook the Superhero muffins came from.  The whole cookbook talks about the difference between eating to be skinny and eating to be healthy.  It's better to eat good calories to give you energy and nourish your body than to just starve yourself to lose weight.

Hope everybody is doing well!

Archived