Weight loss motivational thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That is great! I have to try and weigh myself at same time no matter what because my weight can fluctuate by about 3-5 lbs each day with food/water. This morning after my workout it was 177.2 after gym...179.6 before and that was just an hour on elliptical. My OCD kicks in and I probably weigh myself about 3-4x each day so I get a feel for certain foods, drinks,etc...

As long as it goes down. I'm happy. 

I try and limit myself to weighing once a day.  Always in the morning right after I get up.  In the past I tried weighing myself at night in addition to the morning, but I inevitably weighed more are night and it discouraged me.  For me, the key to the first 10-15 pounds will be some dietary, but mostly eliminating soft drinks.  I've always been successful losing that range of weight in the past just by doing nothing other than stopping soft drinks for 4-6 weeks.  After that, it will get tougher.  I have to stay off the soft drinks, but also need to be committed to the dietary changes as well.  Heavy duty workouts are not in my future.  I'll walk when time permits do yard work, and spend a little bit of time on the elliptical.  But, I'm probably never going to run five miles a day or join a health club.  

Settled in at 253 for the day.  Just from before dinner to after dinner I gained 3 pounds from food and water.  Lot's of fluctuation, so can't get too up or down in all of this.

Pretty happy with how the week went.  Looking to start up running again this week.  I ran a half marathon a few years back, and the weight was melting off when I was running 3-4 times a week.  Hoping to get back to doing that soon.

Anybody have any good recipes they made for their week?

Updated the sheet with this week's weight and added a couple people.  Once I get the weights I'll update it.

When you get to 25% of your goal, the cell changes colors.  I'm almost halfway to that, and not going to lie, I really want to see that next week.  Might give it a little extra effort this week to try to get there.  Not sure if I'll be able to drop 6 pounds, but I think I can get close while still being healthy and not going overboard.  I want to see that blue cell!

I didn't make it this week but I make it often. It is a copycat of cracker barrel grilled chicken blt.

I do grilled chicken strips or you can grill a breast or cook your way.  Season how you like. 

Cook and add bacon

Add cheddar cheese

Tomato and lettuce

Ranch or mayo

I dont use a bun but if you want to go ahead. 

Simple and delicious. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sigh.  Another lunch of fruits and veggies instead of a bacon cheeseburger and fries.

Keep it up! I love eating fresh during the day. The other foods make me tired...plus you add in the heat...no way to greasy!

I'm making 3 hard boiled eggs, 3 turkey bacon slices and celery/peanut butter. Pretty much have this for lunch 3-4x per week.

On a an unrelated subject. Cheat meals will and do happen. I had one last night but the thing for me is to find the right type of cheat meal. 8 chicken nuggets=210 calories loaded with mustard and salsa (basically zero calories). So I had double. 

Some people don't like to add in cheat meals and I know it defeats the total purpose..but I do believe in a little reward 1-2x per week. Just choose the best bad. Haha!

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Keep it up! I love eating fresh during the day. The other foods make me tired...plus you add in the heat...no way to greasy!

I'm making 3 hard boiled eggs, 3 turkey bacon slices and celery/peanut butter. Pretty much have this for lunch 3-4x per week.

On a an unrelated subject. Cheat meals will and do happen. I had one last night but the thing for me is to find the right type of cheat meal. 8 chicken nuggets=210 calories loaded with mustard and salsa (basically zero calories). So I had double. 

Some people don't like to add in cheat meals and I know it defeats the total purpose..but I do believe in a little reward 1-2x per week. Just choose the best bad. Haha!

Agree that cheat meals help me with morale.  I allow myself one a week

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sigh.  Another lunch of fruits and veggies instead of a bacon cheeseburger and fries.

I've been hitting the chicken hard. From what I've read, chicken thighs are really healthy even though they have more fat than chicken breasts. They mostly have healthy fats, and they actually have flavor. Maybe not quite as healthy as chicken breasts, but flavorful enough to keep me coming back.

I try not to add in cheat meals ahead of time. I know if I plan for them, I will use them whether I need it or not. If I happen to need a couple cheat meals in a week it's not a big deal.  If I make it without them, even better.  And, I'm looking long term with this, and I feel like that is something that I can sustain.

Grilled chicken quarters are a staple for me.  I break down whole chickens so I can be sure to get what is called chicken oysters (if you like dark meat it the best part of a chicken).

I can make 4 meals out of one whole chicken which I usually get for $4 - $6.

More just a PSA. One of my biggest complaints about eating healthier, fresh foods,etc...is the costs. Seems like healthier the food the more expensive it can be. Keep your eyes out for sales as we head into this time of year and load up. Some berries, fruits,etc...that normally cost $4 per lb can be found for $1.50 per lb. Same goes for plenty of other healthier foods. Also...find a good farmer's market that is cost friendly. 

26 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Not a great week for me. I've eaten semi ok, but I've been nursing an injury, so I haven't been able to work out or be real active. As long as I lose at least 1 pound I'll be happy!

Losing 1-2 pounds a week is actually ideal.  It allows your body to adapt better and makes it less likely that you gain weight back.  

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Losing 1-2 pounds a week is actually ideal.  It allows your body to adapt better and makes it less likely that you gain weight back.  

I hurt my hip (I'm not even that old!!!), so my week has mostly been teaching golf camp from 8-12 and going home and laying on the couch.  Surprisingly I'm at 250.5 for the week, so I'll gladly take 2.5 pounds each week!

I'm mostly going by what I feel is sustainable.  I've felt good so far and feel like I can keep it up, so as long as I keep losing any and don't go over 5 a week, I'l be happy with that.  Hoping I start feeling better so I can start running again soon.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

No worries.  It's a marathon, not a sprint :)

All day long. My first go around I went from 235 range to 155. Took me over a year. I also quit drinking, absolutely no carbs and was working out twice a day. Anything in the right direction is a positive. And the scale doesn't always mean the right direction. Developing better eating habits,etc...is right direction. The weight always comes off over time. 

Archived