2018-19 Playing Time

Figuring out playing time is way beyond my pay grade.  One thing I would interject is the unknown.  There are times a guy is recognized by coach for the work he is putting in during practice, and rewarded with extra PT.   Happened to McRoberts, last year.  Could happen to someone else this year.  

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Figuring out playing time is way beyond my pay grade.  One thing I would interject is the unknown.  There are times a guy is recognized by coach for the work he is putting in during practice, and rewarded with extra PT.   Happened to McRoberts, last year.  Could happen to someone else this year.  

Yes, I would agree, very tough to figure out -- but that's what motivated the piece.  Really talented guys are probably going to sit most of the year.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yes, I would agree, very tough to figure out -- but that's what motivated the piece.  Really talented guys are probably going to sit most of the year.

Conversely.... the untapped potential of this team is unreal.  Even guys like Morgan and Langford, can give us much more than expected.   De'Ron, whether he plays or not, is capable of big strides.  Actually everyone on the team has the potential to expand their game.  And what excites me most.... is having a defensive minded coach helping them all to understand defense, and bring them along in terms of defense.  We saw what happened last year in terms of defense, the second half of the year.  Just imagine what Archie can do this season, with guys who already know the system... along with young guys who have not developed bad habits. 

Jumping with joy over IUBB 

I was just at Archie Miller basketball camp. Got a chance to be around the team a little. Clifton Moore shot looks much improved one point he made 9 threes in a row. Told Damezi Thank you for being a Hoosier (since it's rare we get kids from his area). Jerome is pretty thin Rome probabaly got 10 15 pounds on him. Rome was deffinitly a lot bigger than expected looks like he could play in the league right now. Race Thompson looks healthy and ready to make and impact. 

5 - appreciate the first hand observations, always good to see the guys up close and how they look, handle, shoot and interact in the summer. 

There’s a lot to look forward to with this team for sure. I’m looking forward to seeing guys like Race and Al, how they’ve grown both physically and in their games. If Moore can show that kind of shooting he’s going to earn time, good to hear 

it really seems like a deep group.  of course i am a much bigger fan of CAM's subbing than CTC's.  it seems like everyone listed is talented enough to play.  i still say keep the best 8 or so on the court a lot and play 9 and 10 sparingly and 11 and beyond don't need to play in a close game.

looks like we need to merge threads.  just posted this in another one - it really seems like a deep group.  of course i am a much bigger fan of CAM's subbing than CTC's.  it seems like everyone listed is talented enough to play.  i still say keep the best 8 or so on the court a lot and play 9 and 10 sparingly and 11 and beyond don't need to play in a close game.

Great topic.  

I would like to see a couple of guys redshirt.  That may sound like a lot but we have 14 legit players.  Who would I redshirt?  Hard for me to say, sight unseen, but I’d suggest one of the bigs and perhaps a wing.  

Knight used the redshirt effectively at times with guys like Evans, Nover and Lindeman.  Wittmann and Kitchel, I believe, took a redshirt due to injury.  Two doctors, Sloan and Hornsby, may have also done it but I’m foggy.  But, generally, the guys who did redshirt had nice fifth year, senior years.  You give a couple of guys an extra year and you will have a benefit down the line.

Crean had more of a survival of the fittest concept.  Let the best guys earn their minutes, and if you don’t cut it, then we need that scholarship sooner rather than absorbing it another year.  

As for minutes, I think three guys are under marked, Fitzner, McRoberts, and Durham.  I’d think that Fitzner, as a 40% shooter from three and having good experience on some good teams, especially will play.  I think you have to find fifteen min per game at least for Fitzner.  The question will be adjusting to the defense but he’s got years on the freshmen.  

Regarding redshirts, if De’Ron is shaky health-wise, he becomes a tricky decision.  He’s got size and natural strength that could really help a team that might be a factor down the stretch run.  You might need him with an “all hands on deck” approach.  If he plays, I’d look at perhaps Forrester as a redshirt.  

On the wing, I look at Romeo, McRoberts, Hunter, maybe some Durham, and wonder if a guy like Damezi might benefit from a redshirt.  

I have said many times that I like Moore and think he will be a really nice player, but I wish he would have taken the opportunity to redshirt.  If he declined it, as has been said, that tells me that Archie is open to redshirting (not to mention Race, although his redshirt was unique in that he skipped his senior year in HS).   Hopefully we get a couple that go with the redshirt.  

Redshirt or shirts absolutely need to happen.  And, it should not be used on someone that will likely never be a rotation guy, regardless of the number of years they are here.  I think the use of a redshirt last season for Race Thompson was a good one.  Forrester, & Anderson are the most likely candidates.  

As far as minutes, I would flip Durham and Phinisee.  Bringing a freshman along slowly would be easier to sell than reducing a returning player's minutes.  

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Redshirt or shirts absolutely need to happen.  And, it should not be used on someone that will likely never be a rotation guy, regardless of the number of years they are here.  I think the use of a redshirt last season for Race Thompson was a good one.  Forrester, & Anderson are the most likely candidates.  

As far as minutes, I would flip Durham and Phinisee.  Bringing a freshman along slowly would be easier to sell than reducing a returning player's minutes.  

The good thing about all of this is Archie has a chart that keeps track of points players earn in practice. What a great way to promote accountability and competition. You wanna play? Go get that gold jersey for the week. if your not playing it provides a coach with facts on why you're on the bench. It takes away all the "well coach just doesn't like me" excuses and provides great clarity for the players. I think the players appreciate it to. 

One thing I love about coach is it doesn't matter if you are a freshmen, walk on, or 5 star if you deserve to be out there you will be and I think that's something that all players can appreciate it. 

What a time to be Hoosier fan!! Lots of fun years ahead guy and gals! 

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

In football, they now allow you to play in four games and still redshirt as a freshman.  I may have missed it but is a parallel rule being adopted for basketball? 

I'm not aware of a similar rule being adopted in basketball. As far as I know, the rule remains that any actual competition play (games) will negate the redshirt, the purpose of which is to withhold a player from competition for an entire season, allowing for a full season of additional eligibility.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In basketball I think the rule if you play less than 25% of the games and get injured you are eligible to red shirt.

Don't even have to look this one up. Not sure of the exact %.  However D-1 BB players can play a certain percentage of the school's scheduled games, before losing their red shirt eligibility.  In bb it is based on a percentage of scheduled games, rather than numbers of games as in FB.

Not to confuse a regular red shirt with medical red shirt.  Two different animals.  Medical allow student athletes to qualify for a red shirt, even though playing in some games.   A regular red shirt means even one minute of time disallows red shirt for that year.

You are correct. And therefore, have earned the coveted milehiiu "Well Done !" of the day.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Don’t sleep on Moore getting substantial minutes this year.  I’ve heard that Archie thinks things are really starting to click for him and he’s putting the effort in the weight room as well.  If he can give us 10 good minutes a game, look out!

That sound sgreat

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Don’t sleep on Moore getting substantial minutes this year.  I’ve heard that Archie thinks things are really starting to click for him and he’s putting the effort in the weight room as well.  If he can give us 10 good minutes a game, look out!

Good to hear. Hope so, he has a lot of as yet untapped talent.

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I'm glad to hear that.  I would love to see how he progresses over 4 years and am always somewhat saddened when I see posters suggest he transfer because he'll never get meaningful minutes and his scholarship is needed for another 2019 recruit.  I'm pretty sure it's mostly on another site where I read those comments though.

I love the makeup of this team.  With this many apparent options, it’s going to be interesting to see how CAM handles it.

I think Morgan, Langford, Smith, Hunter, Green, and Durham are going to be our most consistent contributors.  

After that Is where I wonder?  The center position is intriguing how does Davis recover?  At 100% he needs to see the floor. Other candidates up-front include Fitzner, Thompson and maybe to a lesser degree Moore and Forester.  How do those minutes shake out? Also, how do you keep McRoberts off the floor, with his gritty play and what if Anderson decides to break out? Finally, Phinisee who I see as a fine addition at PG will probably be eased in this season, although those who see Green and Durham struggling may disagree.

I think at the end of the day being as deep as we are, I’d like us to be flexible as to each particular match-up.  

58 minutes ago, kaustical said:

I love the makeup of this team.  With this many apparent options, it’s going to be interesting to see how CAM handles it.

I think Morgan, Langford, Smith, Hunter, Green, and Durham are going to be our most consistent contributors.  

After that Is where I wonder?  The center position is intriguing how does Davis recover?  At 100% he needs to see the floor. Other candidates up-front include Fitzner, Thompson and maybe to a lesser degree Moore and Forester.  How do those minutes shake out? Also, how do you keep McRoberts off the floor, with his gritty play and what if Anderson decides to break out? Finally, Phinisee who I see as a fine addition at PG will probably be eased in this season, although those who see Green and Durham struggling may disagree.

I think at the end of the day being as deep as we are, I’d like us to be flexible as to each particular match-up.  

I am really intrigued by Fitzner. He could very well have a Biefeldt-type role and contribution. Kid can and will score from the perimeter and has the ability to put it on the floor and/or run screen and roll. Have to think that minimally he will help to spread the floor, something we were largely missing last season.

Archived