The top 3 scorers for IU this season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith will be top 3, but it might not be 3rd.  I'll be surprised if anyone averages over 16.  I'll predict each of the top 3 average between 12-15.  And, before someone says that's too low for Romeo, look no further than some of the guys predicted to go in the lottery this year.  For every Trae Young, who carries the scoring burden for their team, there are several like Kevin Knox, Wendell Carter, Jaren Jackson, etc. that contribute more modest scoring on more well-balanced teams.  I think that's what we have this year.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Smith will be top 3, but it might not be 3rd.  I'll be surprised if anyone averages over 16.  I'll predict each of the top 3 average between 12-15.  And, before someone says that's too low for Romeo, look no further than some of the guys predicted to go in the lottery this year.  For every Trae Young, who carries the scoring burden for their team, there are several like Kevin Knox, Wendell Carter, Jaren Jackson, etc. that contribute more modest scoring on more well-balanced teams.  I think that's what we have this year.

Disagree. Romeo is regarded the way he is for his scoring ability. He isn't a facilitator, he isn't a lock down defender, he is an elite scorer. 

Carter, Jackson, etc. didn't have to score as much to be projected high because of the other areas they impact. 

To answer the question, I think Smith is our third leading scorer and it won't shock me if those three arethe only three in double digits. I do think Green gets there too, though. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Disagree. Romeo is regarded the way he is for his scoring ability. He isn't a facilitator, he isn't a lock down defender, he is an elite scorer. 

Carter, Jackson, etc. didn't have to score as much to be projected high because of the other areas they impact. 

To answer the question, I think Smith is our third leading scorer and it won't shock me if those three arethe only three in double digits. I do think Green gets there too, though. 

Agreed.  Knox, Carter, and Jackson were forwards who weren’t handling the ball all that much.  Romeo is probably the best scorer in his class, and he’s a guard who’s going to have the ball in his hands constantly.  Romeo will be a way better scorer than RoJo was from day one, and RoJo averaged 14 ppg last year.  If Romeo doesn’t average at least 18-20 ppg next year, I’ll be pretty surprised.

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

In a better Big Ten, with a team at least as deep as this, Eric Gordon averaged over 20 with a bad wrist. To say Romeo only gets 15 is indicative of not thinking he is as good as advertised. 

Good point on EJ - that is an interesting season to compare, with a veteran DJ White averaging 17 to go with EJ’s 20.

I think we’ll see more balanced scoring with guys like Smith and Green, it’s not a knock on how good I or I think anyone else expects Romeo to be.But that 07-08 team had Basset, again an interesting comparison. 

EJ was the no. 2 player in that class and today is one of the better 2 guards in the League. Romeo is a top 5 player who may well be on the same path. For me I don’t want to saddle him with the expectation of being a 20-Point player out of the gate, that is to immediately make him the best scorer in the B1G as a frosh —he may be and fantastic if he is, but 15-16 ppg as a frosh is elite itself. How many did Cody average? 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good point on EJ - that is an interesting season to compare, with a veteran DJ White averaging 17 to go with EJ’s 20.

I think we’ll see more balanced scoring with guys like Smith and Green, it’s not a knock on how good I or I think anyone else expects Romeo to be.But that 07-08 team had Basset, again an interesting comparison. 

EJ was the no. 2 player in that class and today is one of the better 2 guards in the League. Romeo is a top 5 player who may well be on the same path. For me I don’t want to saddle him with the expectation of being a 20-Point player out of the gate, that is to immediately make him the best scorer in the B1G as a frosh —he may be and fantastic if he is, but 15-16 ppg as a frosh is elite itself. How many did Cody average? 

Cody didn't play the same position or on a similar team, though. Archie approaches the game of basketball much more similar to Sampson than he does Cream, and Romeo is much more comparable to EJ than he is Cody. 

The truth is, for as deep as we may look on paper our only proven returning scorer is Morgan. There is a huge vacuum for Romeo to come in and score a ton of points. To say he won't is just putting a lot of expectations and pressure on someone else to do it, and no matter who that person is they deserve that treatment less than Romeo does. We need to score quite a bit more than last year to get even a decent seed in the tournament, so Romeo has to come in and be a significant upgrade to Rob Johnson. 

so i just went back and looked at the top 10 recruits according to ESPN starting in 2013 through 2017.  when you look at the numbers the top 10 guys in each class put up, then look at Romeo being top 5, i just think it is very realistic for a scoring guard like him to come in and immediately put a lot of points up the way Gordon did.  Gordon was #2 in his class and i believe the highest rated guy we've gotten since was Vonleh at 13.  big difference looking at a top 5 guy.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so i just went back and looked at the top 10 recruits according to ESPN starting in 2013 through 2017.  when you look at the numbers the top 10 guys in each class put up, then look at Romeo being top 5, i just think it is very realistic for a scoring guard like him to come in and immediately put a lot of points up the way Gordon did.  Gordon was #2 in his class and i believe the highest rated guy we've gotten since was Vonleh at 13.  big difference looking at a top 5 guy.

I agree. I'd add that two guards aren't ranked as high as Romeo very often. Point guards can be ranked highly because of distributing, bigs for rebounding and shot blocking, but at the 2 it is generally because you can score exceptionally well. 

May be in the enviable position of opponents being in a pick your poison situation.   Morgan and Langford will get theirs.   I could see that 3rd scorer on any given night scoring big.  Justin Smith is in a good role to take advantage, and maybe 2-3 others depending on opponents and matchups.   

Here’s mine:

Romeo — 18.1 ppg

Juwan — 14.5 ppg

Justin — 10.1 ppg 

Devonte — 8.8 ppg

Davis could get there if/when healthy, but who knows what we’re gonna get from him.

I want to be very clear about this, I don’t want Devonte above 10ppg. Maybe his senior year, but not this year. My hope for Devonte is that he averages over 4.5 assists per game and less than 1.7 turnovers per game. PPG for him are irrelevant to me this year. I want Devonte to become a pass first guy who has a good shot to compliment his game, not the other way around. Also because I want to see a healthy amount of Phinisee and Al on the floor. If they are seeing good time and Green is averaging 10+ then DG is likely forcing his shot like he did last year. I hope he lets his game and his shot come to him in time. That’s how he’s going to become a good player for us.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:11 AM, Fundamentals said:

May be in the enviable position of opponents being in a pick your poison situation.   Morgan and Langford will get theirs.   I could see that 3rd scorer on any given night scoring big.  Justin Smith is in a good role to take advantage, and maybe 2-3 others depending on opponents and matchups.   

Absolutely. And this can feed into more balanced scoring. We have outside shooting now, we have a guy in Fitzner who will help spread the floor, can pick and roll/pick and pop, is a size matchup issue, and brings experience. We have a guy in Smith who looks very much primed for a big time soph season -- he was really starting to show. We have Green's athleticism on the perimeter. McRoberts will bring his key role player game and will have games where he'll help with scoring and spreading the floor. We have talented frosh in addition to Romeo, Phinisee can score the ball. Moore appears to have grown his outside game. Race may be a dark horse player.

Morgan and Langford are the guys who defenses will look to limit, that will open things up.

I tend to agree with KoB that the stage is set for Romeo to be a big time scorer and with Astros that Green should not be focusing on scoring. I think there will be a solid group after Romeo and Morgan providing plenty of depth and flexibility. Green, Smith, and Fitzner will probably get more minutes consistently so think that #3 will come from them. I can see games where Hunter gets his. Race too. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I tend to agree with KoB that the stage is set for Romeo to be a big time scorer and with Astros that Green should not be focusing on scoring. I think there will be a solid group after Romeo and Morgan providing plenty of depth and flexibility. Green, Smith, and Fitzner will probably get more minutes consistently so think that #3 will come from them. I can see games where Hunter gets his. Race too. 

Agree all around. I think in certain matchups Davis can give 20-25 minutes and score a lot too (he probably isn't playing much of he isn't scoring much).

I think McRoberts will pop for 15-20 one game as well. 

Archived