The top 3 scorers for IU this season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Smith is going to be number 3 in my opinion, I feel like he is the perfect player to play off of Juwan and Romeo.

I have always loved your user name.  So, glad you have found HSN 3.0.    Keep in touch. 

Welcome Hornsby! Glad to have you!

I have to go with Green.Smith would likely be just above or below Green in scoring averages.

I see several with a predetermined view of what we should/shouldn't want to see out of Green.With all due respect it's arguably illogical to want anyone but Green to emerge as the #2 or 3 scorer.He's getting lost in rhe shuffle a bit IMO, and that is exactlty what he himself has to avoid allowing this year.

Green showed flashes of capability to become a 20-30 pt scorer . He couldve went for 10-20 on several more occasions than he did if he had done the little things.One might read this and think we're talking about realistic expectations for Matt Roth several years back.

The reality is Green made so many mental errors that his average going above 10 doesn't have to necessarily coincide with him forcing his shot.

If it is a product of better decision making and executing more efficiently Ill gladly take his average going up as a result.

Not to mention if Miller is looking to build for sustained long term success around veteran cores, it's actually sound logic to begin expecting even more out of Juniors and Seniors.Last year was about getting started.Although that will apply to younger players, this year is about raising the bar even further for the guys with experience. I think with Juwan back as the alpha guy Green can grow into that more naturally.If he's going to see minutes late season the urgency needs to be there.

Bottom line is we have to start seeing the first links of that high level chain of succession and continuity  from year to year.With the players Miller has available Green should be pushed to improve sooner rather than later.

If IU is to re--emerge as the elite monster it once was and that we hope to see, it starts and ends with 3rd and 4th year guys.Green needs to use his abilities to make the guys arouund him better and that experience will be a separating factor if all other things are relatively equal at the "1'.If DeVonte embraces and rises to the challenge laid before him this summer then this is exactly what we will get.

Im mainly questioing the views that are basically being implied about the limits of his potential and think that might be higher than he gets credit for.He gets what he earns though, so fair is fair for now, I guess. What Im saying is DeVonte will rival for the #1 scorer if he does what he's capable of.I just dont want anything he does to be at the expense of the team's success.If he produces Miller is going to ride him.He's already made his feelings on Green clear.It's up to Devonte 

He's said Green will make a couple of plays that orher kids cant make.Also said Green has a chance to be one of the best guards in the B1G.Huber winery,Indystar,HT,IDS.You name it.It isn't just my opinion.This is from Archie.Better than both JBJ and RoJo would be a heck of a player and that is my opinion.

:D

45 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Welcome Hornsby! Glad to have you!

I have to go with Green.Smith would likely be just above or below Green in scoring averages.

I see several with a predetermined view of what we should/shouldn't want to see out of Green.With all due respect it's arguably illogical to want anyone but Green to emerge as the #2 or 3 scorer.He's getting lost in rhe shuffle a bit IMO, and that is exactlty what he himself has to avoid allowing this year.

Green showed flashes of capability to become a 20-30 pt scorer . He couldve went for 10-20 on several more occasions than he did if he had done the little things.One might read this and think we're talking about realistic expectations for Matt Roth several years back.

The reality is Green made so many mental errors that his average going above 10 doesn't have to necessarily coincide with him forcing his shot.

If it is a product of better decision making and executing more efficiently Ill gladly take his average going up as a result.

Not to mention if Miller is looking to build for sustained long term success around veteran cores, it's actually sound logic to begin expecting even more out of Juniors and Seniors.Last year was about getting started.Although that will apply to younger players, this year is about raising the bar even further for the guys with experience. I think with Juwan back as the alpha guy Green can grow into that more naturally.If he's going to see minutes late season the urgency needs to be there.

Bottom line is we have to start seeing the first links of that high level chain of succession and continuity  from year to year.With the players Miller has available Green should be pushed to improve sooner rather than later.

If IU is to re--emerge as the elite monster it once was and that we hope to see, it starts and ends with 3rd and 4th year guys.Green needs to use his abilities to make the guys arouund him better and that experience will be a separating factor if all other things are relatively equal at the "1'.If DeVonte embraces and rises to the challenge laid before him this summer then this is exactly what we will get.

Im mainly questioing the views that are basically being implied about the limits of his potential and think that might be higher than he gets credit for.He gets what he earns though, so fair is fair for now, I guess. What Im saying is DeVonte will rival for the #1 scorer if he does what he's capable of.I just dont want anything he does to be at the expense of the team's success.If he produces Miller is going to ride him.He's already made his feelings on Green clear.It's up to Devonte 

He's said Green will make a couple of plays that orher kids cant make.Also said Green has a chance to be one of the best guards in the B1G.Huber winery,Indystar,HT,IDS.You name it.It isn't just my opinion.This is from Archie.Better than both JBJ and RoJo would be a heck of a player and that is my opinion.

:D

20-30 pt scorer!? Maybe 12-15

On 6/21/2018 at 8:19 AM, btownqb said:

20-30 pt scorer!? Maybe 12-15

Not necessarily  .Just scoring  20-30 more often would suit me great.I'm saying this knowing there can be a huge gap between potential and result.I meant every word of if he doesn't elevate his game someone else will bump him out.I just think realistic terms if you get that balanced guard who can play both ends and be a match up nightmare it materializes in a player who likely scores in more ways than RoJo and JBJ.The chance to get a higher level of leadership out of a superior athlete is the kicker with Green.

13 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Not necessarily  .Just scoring  20-30 more often would suit me great.I'm saying this knowing there can be a huge gap between potential and result.I meant every word of if he doesn't elevate his game someone else will bump him out.I just think realistic terms if you get that balanced guard who can play both ends and be a match up nightmare it materializes in a player who likely scores in more ways then RoJo and JBJ.The chance to get a higher level of leadership out of a superior athlete is the kicker with Green.

Are you saying avg that?

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Are you saying avg that?

No.Im saying lead the team without it taking away from diatributing the ball.Look at the 4 guys we're talking about here.Toss in DeRon or Fitzner and we're talking about serious chance at 4-5 guys in double digits.Dont think for a second Phinisee and Green can't both play if Miller finds it in the team's best to set the early pace going small and nasty with Juwan doing what Juwan does to anchor it all.

Morgan,McRoberts,Fitzner,Davis,and Smith doing the inside out game with their respective strengths.Then consider who I havent mentioned and we're talking some ridiculous potential.Juwan coming back was the big one once Romeo was on board.This lets Archie do the small rotation we know he isn't afraid to use.I'd say this is a tough offseason to call.The depth is so high we could all be wrong and someone few see coming steps up.Whoever ends up getting the most looks, having space to play their game shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

Im not some former high level player or coach but Ive played and coached "out of my league".The best players on the team should play.If Phinisee and Green are in that best 5, and  play together doesnt that open it up even more? I dont want IU confined to small ball, and Ill just stop before going further OT.It's pretty much unanimous who Indiana's 5.most likely leading scorers may be,but they appear to be IU's the 5 best all around players rigjt now as well.

I don’t think Green will be very effective if he’s forced into a role focused primarily on facilitating.  He was an off-ball scoring guard coming out of high school, and I’m pretty sure he’s mentioned that transitioning to a point guard role has been tough for him (as we’ve also seen on the court).  He’s going to be at his best as a facilitator when he’s attacking and confident — we just have to hope he can reign in all the dumb plays.

I think it's worth noting that even a guy like Yogi (who had the benefit of playing with Hulls) made all kinds of dumb plays as a frosh and soph.

How many times did Yogi race in and jump up in the air before passing the ball, leading to turnovers, bad shots and failed passes? I'm not saying Green is Yogi, but he has shown a lot of "flashes" of very good play, to go with the poor decision-making, and he's now coming into his junior season, with the benefit of having both outside shooting and strong interior players.

I think there's reason to be optimistic that he'll play well this season. I don't think he will challenge for top-2 scoring, but do see reason to be optimistic for top 3 or 4 in scoring with better on-ball and off-ball play.

Deron Davis was IU's THIRD LEADING SCORER LAST SEASON at 9,6 ppg !!  Unfortunately he was only able to play in 15 games , so he missed 16 games during the Big Ten season when IU needed him the most , imho !! If he is healthy for a full season , look out Big Ten opponents !!!!

P.S. Davis only played 15 games and  he still scored 144 points ! McSwain played in all 31 and started 8 times but he only scored 130 points by comparison ! Collin Hartmann played in 23 games and only scored 97 points ! Justin Smith played in 31 games and started 9 times and he only scored 200 points ! Al Durham also played in 31 games and started 9 times and he only scored 148 points [ 4 more total points than Davis scored in only 15 games ] !! Zach McRoberts played 28 games , started 17 times and only scored 78 points ?? A healthy Deron Davis for the entire 2018-2019 season will be a HUGE plus for IU Hoops in 2018-2019 , imho !!

P.S. Davis was IU's 3rd. LEADING scorer last season at 9.6 points per game in 2017-2018 !! Do you think the Hoosiers missed him during the Big Ten season last year ?? I surely do !!!!!!!! P.S. If Davis is healthy all season , IU will have 3 of their TOP 4 scorers back from last season and 5 of their TOP 7 scorers back from last season !! Awesome !!

By comparison , the pee yew smellermakers LOSE 4 of their TOP 5 scorers and 5 of their TOP 9 scorers from last year !! They { pee yew ] lose 1,696 points out of a total of 2,974 points they scored last season OR::::::: ALMOST 62 PERCENT OF THEIR SCORING HAS TO BE REPLACED !! I'm loving it !!!!!!!

P.S. AGAIN, pee yew plays Marian College of indianapolis in an exhibition game on Nlovember 1, 2018  and Marian returns their TOP 4 scorers and 5 of their TOP 6 scorers from last season !1 Wouldn't it be sweet if they { Marian] pulled an upset over the pee yew smellermakers !! Probably will not happen , but I can HOPE , VBG !!!!!

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

HTD - I've been of this mindset for quite a while as well.  Thinking he is finally ready to be that beast down low, but... I've picked up from the guys on this board that he isn't close to 100% and won't be by the start of the season.  

And he doesn't defend or rebound well 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

And he doesn't defend or rebound well 

And clogs up the paint for our other guys. 

People talk a lot about the Duke game that we lost, but forget our best win was Notre Dame. He was healthy for it and didn't play when it mattered because he was getting exposed. 

Fair amount of speculation about DeRon already, but...

His injury is tough to recover from quickly or completely.  DeRon was not explosive before his injury, and so he will have a more significant challenge getting back to where he was due to his size.  Further, Archie has hinted that fitness and keeping weight off has been the focus.  

That said, he may benefit from the now vastly improved roster because he will have to prove himself for playing time, and I hope that he accepts that challenge and works his tail off to get back.  To me, it would seem an obvious redshirt situation if he’s not ready by November.

7 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Fair amount of speculation about DeRon already, but...

His injury is tough to recover from quickly or completely.  DeRon was not explosive before his injury, and so he will have a more significant challenge getting back to where he was due to his size.  Further, Archie has hinted that fitness and keeping weight off has been the focus.  

That said, he may benefit from the now vastly improved roster because he will have to prove himself for playing time, and I hope that he accepts that challenge and works his tail off to get back.  To me, it would seem an obvious redshirt situation if he’s not ready by November.

De’Ron might end up being the oldest senior in college basketball history if he redshirts next year.  

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

De’Ron might end up being the oldest senior in college basketball history if he redshirts next year.  

I am down with that.  Especially having followed many BYU players over the years,  who started college only after their missions.  Or broke up their college to go on their mission.  Something to be said about maturity.

Archived