The top 3 scorers for IU this season.

57 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am down with that.  Especially having followed many BYU players over the years,  who started college only after their missions.  Or broke up their college to go on their mission.  Something to be said about maturity.

I wonder how old Matt Carlino was.  He transferred several times it seemed and was around forever.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder how old Matt Carlino was.  He transferred several times it seemed and was around forever.

Matt was born in 1992.  And finished at Marquette, in the 2014-2015 season.  Which would have made him 23 or 24 years old when he finished playing D-1 basketball. My math may be off. But I think it is close.

When enrolling at BYU... Matt chose not to go on a mission.  Which is acceptable, by the school.   Not all BYU  players go on a two year mission.  Just imagine if he did.  He would have been 25 or plus years before finishing college, had he gone on a mission and then transferred to Marquette. 

The stint at UCLA was epic.  Dad got involved.  Helped make a mess of things. Though in that case, I don't think it was all the dad's fault.  Matt and coach did not get along. 

Sports Illustrated story sheds light on why Carlino left UCLA for BYU 

Truly... a helicopter parent.... who caused most of this to happen...  who began the mess, when he moved the family to Bloomington, when Matt committed to IU.  And of course, as we know, never played for IU.

Matt Carlino talks about playing Indiana basketball and beyond  after college

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah 6 years.  I didn't know that was even possible. 

It's possible.  Takes some extenuating circumstances, and the NCAA willing to grant a hardship request.  But... it can happen. And has.

I believe DJ White who gave up a medical redshirt during his Sophomore year, to return to action, could have applied for a hardship as a result, but chose not to.  I could be wrong on that. I do seem to recall talking about that.   But memory seems that was an option upon graduation, since he gave up his medical redshirt, his second year. Normally hardships are issued for other reasons. But as I recall, some felt DJ should have requested a hardship. 

Anybody.... feel free to correct me if I am wrong. No problem. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

It's possible.  Takes some extenuating circumstances, and the NCAA willing to grant a hardship request.  But... it can happen. And has.

I believe DJ White who gave up a medical redshirt during his Sophomore year, to return to action, could have applied for a hardship as a result, but chose not to.  I could be wrong on that. I do seem to recall talking about that.   But memory seems that was an option upon graduation, since he gave up his medical redshirt, his second year. Normally hardships are issued for other reasons. But as I recall, some felt DJ should have requested a hardship. 

Anybody.... feel free to correct me if I am wrong. No problem. 

I remember thinking he should have applied for it, but understanding why he wouldn't have wanted to come back for Crean's first year. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I remember thinking he should have applied for it, but understanding why he wouldn't have wanted to come back for Crean's first year. 

It is nice to have confirmation that my mind is not failing me.  Crean had nothing in the cupboard, his first year.  And I too can understand why DJ would want to move on, and make money playing basketball.  In the end... I still love all that DJ did for IU's program. 

Archived