FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's some serious out of state tuition 

Something tells me the attorney's fees are a slightly larger part of that sum than the tuition.

Also, I find it preposterous that Kansas is asking for $1.1 million in restitution when they have likely benefited from this scheme to the tune of much more.  But hey, I guess they must think asking for restitution must make them look more innocent. 

And Louisville is asking for money.  LOUISVILLE!  What world are we living in?

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Welcome to life in these United States....

The country where one guy can hire two other guys to fake assault him and they’re all three victims and I’m sitting in my chair 200 miles away playing Clash of Clans on my cell phone watching reruns of John Wick and I’M THE BAD GUY.

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

The country where one guy can hire two other guys to fake assault him and they’re all three victims and I’m sitting in my chair 200 miles away playing Clash of Clans on my cell phone watching reruns of John Wick and I’M THE BAD GUY.

Well duh.  Clash Royale > Clash of Clans.  You....you.....poisonous bunch-backed toad!

Sort of off topic but semi related. Federal Guidelines dictate about 90% of sentences that judges have. While they have discretion to go lower or higher than those ranges they usually fall in those to a T.

My question or concern is this. If a judge sentences these guys based on a certain $ amount because of loss to Kansas, NC State, Louisville (which is a joke by the way) what impact will that have in the future when players/Bilas of the world say the scholarship represents nothing. Here you have a federal judge (potentially) saying it's worth X and we sentence you to this because I believe it's worth X.

Small detail I know but this is pretty important for down the road conversations. My guess is this judge goes lower than suggested guidelines. Plus with First Step Act....nonviolent drug or fraud type crimes....a very good chance these guys could be eligible for halfway house or home detention much sooner. 

On 3/1/2019 at 6:32 AM, Seeking6 said:

Sort of off topic but semi related. Federal Guidelines dictate about 90% of sentences that judges have. While they have discretion to go lower or higher than those ranges they usually fall in those to a T.

My question or concern is this. If a judge sentences these guys based on a certain $ amount because of loss to Kansas, NC State, Louisville (which is a joke by the way) what impact will that have in the future when players/Bilas of the world say the scholarship represents nothing. Here you have a federal judge (potentially) saying it's worth X and we sentence you to this because I believe it's worth X.

Small detail I know but this is pretty important for down the road conversations. My guess is this judge goes lower than suggested guidelines. Plus with First Step Act....nonviolent drug or fraud type crimes....a very good chance these guys could be eligible for halfway house or home detention much sooner. 

Kind of what I was expecting. Judge went lower. 9 months, 6 and 6 for these 3. Thing about Fed System is any sentence under 1 year and a day it's not eligible for good time release/credit so they'll do the full sentence....but halfway house/home detention could allow them to get home after a 4-5 months. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One of Gatto’s attorneys told the jury in closing that Gatto approved payments to player families at the request of coaches, including Bill Self.

Sean Miller is being subpoenaed by Dawkins’ atty to testify in April. 

This is all still going. 

Is the NCAA paying attention?  That is the question.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Is the NCAA paying attention?  That is the question.

I will take this one for HH, you bet ya!! It will be a blood bath in the end. This summer will be fun. And you know when head coaches start going down, they will sing like song birds about so and so did this and that. They havent even started with Nike and Under Armour yet.

22 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Get ready!!

Haney is a former Magic Johnson guy. Former player himself. Terms like street fight might sell some clicks/papers but I have a hard time taking a former prosecutor in Detroit seriously who decided to make sure his first priority was to tell the world Michigan St wouldn't pay for Bowen. I'm not a rocket scientist but not hard to put 2 and 2 together. Shield his buddy and his alma mater...

Again. Hopefully something good will come of this but put me in the doubtful category. 

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Could have just ended the statement there.

I guess I shouldn't put it that way. Seriously though I've never dove into the background of any of the defense attorneys. Could very well be a very good one. Just seems a tad coincidental on the Magic/MSU stuff...

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haney is a former Magic Johnson guy. Former player himself. Terms like street fight might sell some clicks/papers but I have a hard time taking a former prosecutor in Detroit seriously who decided to make sure his first priority was to tell the world Michigan St wouldn't pay for Bowen. I'm not a rocket scientist but not hard to put 2 and 2 together. Shield his buddy and his alma mater...

Again. Hopefully something good will come of this but put me in the doubtful category. 

You got a link for that?  Tying Haney to Magic Johnson and MSU.  

6 minutes ago, rico said:

You got a link for that?  Tying Haney to Magic Johnson and MSU.  

Just Google and about 8 articles I read. I put those 2 together. No article did. I'm just saying when news broke of this whole story the first things out of Haney's mouth was MSU didn't pay what Bowen wanted,etc....look a little further and you find that Haney helped Magic's Euro team. I live in a world where a guy from Detroit who worked for Sparty's most famous alumni, helped his Euro team get started and said that about Sparty not paying.....let's just say I don't believe in coincidences. 

11 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

He was just offering  a piece of pie.

“Dude,” Wade continued to Dawkins, referring to the third party involved in the recruitment. “I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

“The problem was, I know why he didn’t take it now, it was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit,” Wade continued. “It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn’t explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn’t get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal.”Image result for picture of lady serving a piece of pie

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He was just offering  a piece of pie.

“Dude,” Wade continued to Dawkins, referring to the third party involved in the recruitment. “I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

“The problem was, I know why he didn’t take it now, it was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit,” Wade continued. “It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn’t explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn’t get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal.”Image result for picture of lady serving a piece of pie

"I was thinking last night on this Smart thing," Wade said. "I'll be honest with you, I'm [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I'm just [expletive] sick of dealing with the [expletive]. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated."

How has Wade not been charged with conspiracy yet? 

Archived