FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

The whole thing ticks me off...that conversation with Will Wade was in the news MONTHS ago.  I'm not sure why it's just now sensational news.  He should have been done long before now, but at least LSU is moving faster than Kansas and Arizona.  I guess Kansas wanted to see if Self could keep his conference championship streak alive...SMH...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The whole thing ticks me off...that conversation with Will Wade was in the news MONTHS ago.  I'm not sure why it's just now sensational news.  He should have been done long before now, but at least LSU is moving faster than Kansas and Arizona.  I guess Kansas wanted to see if Self could keep his conference championship streak alive...SMH...

Kind of the way I see it.  Just doesn't make sense, I surmise they think they can skate?

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Kind of the way I see it.  Just doesn't make sense, I surmise they think they can skate?

Jaded as this sounds, but they weren't going to fire them (immediately anyway).  They can suspend them and pay them.  Or, they can have them work the season, and then suspend them.  If they're getting paid anyway, may as well have them working. 

Edit: I don't endorse the above thinking.  But it's probably a factor for the university.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Jaded as this sounds, but they weren't going to fire them (immediately anyway).  They can suspend them and pay them.  Or, they can have them work the season, and then suspend them.  If they're getting paid anyway, may as well have them working. 

Edit: I don't endorse the above thinking.  But it's probably a factor for the university.

Until sanctions come...

Just now, rico said:

Until sanctions come...

They'll just use UNC's model.  Conduct an "internal investigation", throw some token low level staff under the bus, then present their "report" to the NCAA.  Said report will consist of the following:

"Dear NCAA:

*middle finger*

Sincerely,
The University of North Carolina"

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

To be fair, I think the specific quote about a “strong ass offer” is new.  I don’t think what came out a while back was quite as incriminating.  But of course it was clear he’s a scumbag the whole time.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

To be fair, I think the specific quote about a “strong ass offer” is new.  I don’t think what came out a while back was quite as incriminating.  But of course it was clear he’s a scumbag the whole time.

I'd have to go back to look at the exact language, but I remember him talking about shutting the door and it was clear to me at least that he was trying to buy a kid.

“Would you want Balsa?” Dawkins asked.
“Oh, the big kid?” Wade responded.
Dawkins confirmed.
“OK, but there is other [expletive] involved in it,” Wade said. “Wait, I’ve got to shut the door … I can get you what you need, but it’s got to work.”

^^^^this was the language that came out long ago...

On 2/4/2019 at 11:18 PM, dgambill said:

To me that’s a tragedy that the kids suffer while the adults get off Scott free. The kid has limited time to play and yet these coaches have their whole life. Suspend the coaches and adults and let the kids play until they know. It’s @ss backwards. All I know is it’s KU...nothing will happen. Didn’t  Missouri get hammered over academic fraud but UNC nothing...$$$.

People with money and power rarely are the people who suffer in America. 

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

“Would you want Balsa?” Dawkins asked.
“Oh, the big kid?” Wade responded.
Dawkins confirmed.
“OK, but there is other [expletive] involved in it,” Wade said. “Wait, I’ve got to shut the door … I can get you what you need, but it’s got to work.”

^^^^this was the language that came out long ago...

So that language is a little more incriminating than I remember it being, but I guarantee you could find plenty of people that would be able to rationalize it away if a coach at IU had said the exact same thing.  They have texts from Self saying basically the same thing too, but no one’s going after him either.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So that language is a little more incriminating than I remember it being, but I guarantee you could find plenty of people that would be able to rationalize it away if a coach at IU had said the exact same thing.  They have texts from Self saying basically the same thing too, but no one’s going after him either.

I think Kansas is incredibly hypocritical in this as well.  They know they have a problem, but they are burying their head in the sand as long as possible and milking that TV revenue for all it's worth.  The whole situation just pisses me off...it's been a long time since the playing field has been level, if it ever was.

I think what grinds on me as much as anything, is that Will Wade is still a kid.  This is literally his 6th season as a head coach for three different schools and he's had some success (probably by cheating).  The little punk couldn't wait to play with the big boys so he cheated to climb over a bunch of other coaches trying to do things the right way.  I have a big problem with that...not that I'm excusing any of the other cheaters, I'm not.  It's just an extra source of irritation that this punk couldn't even wait for his turn in the spotlight.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Kansas is incredibly hypocritical in this as well.  They know they have a problem, but they are burying their head in the sand as long as possible and milking that TV revenue for all it's worth.  The whole situation just pisses me off...it's been a long time since the playing field has been level, if it ever was.

No such thing as a clean program in major college basketball, just a matter of degree.  LSU and Kansas seem to have been two of the worst offenders.

44 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Remember that according to the lawsuit filed, Kansas feels that it is the victim in this mess.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think what grinds on me as much as anything, is that Will Wade is still a kid.  This is literally his 6th season as a head coach for three different schools and he's had some success (probably by cheating).  The little punk couldn't wait to play with the big boys so he cheated to climb over a bunch of other coaches trying to do things the right way.  I have a big problem with that...not that I'm excusing any of the other cheaters, I'm not.  It's just an extra source of irritation that this punk couldn't even wait for his turn in the spotlight.

The one thing to really gets me about Wade(other than the cheating) is his connection to Tommy Amaker and Shaka Smart.

You just need to look at the University of Louisville case to know what  a joke the NCAA is.  Players admitted to getting paid cash to give to strippers that were provided by a coach on university property and the NCAA does nothing.  Louisville hires the best young coach available, is making millions, selling out every game, and ranked in the top 25.  The upside of cheating is enormous and the downside risk is minuscule.   

Coach Wade knows that in the unlikely circumstance he gets caught, he will simply make big bucks coaching in the NBA.  Maybe I am too cynical. 

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/3/6/18253178/louisville-cardinals-basketball-ncaa-rick-pitino-u-of-l

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

People taking money should also be accused of another crime.  Failure to report income on their tax return.  You all know they did not report. 

This thing has reached another level. Thanks B_A for that link....... ^^^^

It’s how we got Capone!!! 😈

3 hours ago, Chad B said:

You just need to look at the University of Louisville case to know what  a joke the NCAA is.  Players admitted to getting paid cash to give to strippers that were provided by a coach on university property and the NCAA does nothing.  Louisville hires the best young coach available, is making millions, selling out every game, and ranked in the top 25.  The upside of cheating is enormous and the downside risk is minuscule.   

Coach Wade knows that in the unlikely circumstance he gets caught, he will simply make big bucks coaching in the NBA.  Maybe I am too cynical. 

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/3/6/18253178/louisville-cardinals-basketball-ncaa-rick-pitino-u-of-l

I’m 100% with you and the ONLY way I hope and see it might have a chance at working this time is because of the FBI involved. There’s way too many reasons for the ncaa to NOT hurt their own. For the amount of time and money the FBI has put into this if nothing comes of it then they’ll get a public PR black eye. Unfortunately that’s probably the only thing holding them to do something though.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

People taking money should also be accused of another crime.  Failure to report income on their tax return.  You all know they did not report. 

This thing has reached another level. Thanks B_A for that link....... ^^^^

What has wound up taking a lot of high profile criminals down? Murder, drug trafficking, conspiracy? Nope. Tax evasion.

Mess with the SEC, DOJ, ATF all you want. The IRS will get you.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

What has wound up taking a lot of high profile criminals down? Murder, drug trafficking, conspiracy? Nope. Tax evasion.

Mess with the SEC, DOJ, ATF all you want. The IRS will get you.

I don’t know a lot about law but I believe FBI can only do federal crimes so that greatly limits which things they can spend their time doing. They’re not regular police and local and state authorities.

Archived