FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

They'll just use UNC's model.  Conduct an "internal investigation", throw some token low level staff under the bus, then present their "report" to the NCAA.  Said report will consist of the following:

"Dear NCAA:

*middle finger*

Sincerely,
The University of North Carolina"

And after some $13M in legal fees and mostly tame PR noise.... it worked and is seldom mentioned as the program continues to win.  

On the other hand, when a school does the "right thing" and takes down its whole program over some relatively minor NCAA recruiting violations, the stench lingers on, and on, and on...  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I don’t know a lot about law but I believe FBI can only do federal crimes so that greatly limits which things they can spend their time doing. They’re not regular police and local and state authorities.

If they uncover a crime out of their jurisdiction, they work in conjunction with the agency that would be responsible for prosecution.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

If they uncover a crime out of their jurisdiction, they work in conjunction with the agency that would be responsible for prosecution.

I ain't a legal guy either...but doesn't any crime over the phone that crosses state fall into the FBI's jurisdiction?

Just now, rico said:

I ain't a legal guy either...but doesn't any crime over the phone that crosses state fall into the FBI's jurisdiction?

I think so but one poster was implying they should be concerned with things like murder and not paying athletes but I don’t think they can unless the crime is crossing state lines like you just said. 

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I think so but one poster was implying they should be concerned with things like murder and not paying athletes but I don’t think they can unless the crime is crossing state lines like you just said. 

I just remember hearing about state lines.  Where is our legal experts?

36 minutes ago, rico said:

I just remember hearing about state lines.  Where is our legal experts?

Yep, the Constitution doesn’t give the federal government a general “police power,” which is reserved to the states.  But if a crime involves the crossing of state lines, the federal government has the power to regulate it under the Commerce Clause, which allows Congress “to regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States.”  So federal statutes give the feds jurisdiction to prosecute wire and mail fraud cases involving communications across state lines because the crimes ostensibly affect interstate commerce.

The regulation of interstate commerce isn’t the only constitutional basis for federal criminal statutes, but I think it’s the most common (although I’m not a criminal law expert, so I may be wrong about that).

I want nothing more than this thing to wreck Duke and UNC. I want ALL of the ESPN commentators who are heads of those schools to just be speechless.  But I’m sure it’ll never happen...

but then again I didn’t think anything would happen this far and at least some is

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I want nothing more than this thing to wreck Duke and UNC. I want ALL of the ESPN commentators who are heads of those schools to just be speechless.  But I’m sure it’ll never happen...

but then again I didn’t think anything would happen this far and at least some is

Have you had a little brandy tonight?😀

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Sounds like Sean Miller knows that he's done at Arizona...

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-miller-arizona-basketball-scandal-resign-005109541.html

Interesting job to open up. Chance to dominate a weak conference. I don't follow Arizona close enough to know what their fans are looking for in terms of hire. Big name or someone from the programs past. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We all thought Crean was saying goodbye a couple years before he actually did, too. It wasn't after a game, it was on his coaches show, but still. 

I think that was officially when Glass and he just were never going to see eye to eye ever again. Ironically Crean turned in his best coaching job the following year. Big Ten title, beat Kentucky in tourney only to lose to a Carolina team who couldn't miss that day. 

This is where I think 'Zona failed miserably.  They knew there were "wrong doings" of some sort or Sean wouldn't have set out a game last year while they "evaluated" the situation.  But they allowed him to continue coaching.  I don't know how all of these things are gonna shake out but it appears to me that these institutions are rolling the dice.

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We all thought Crean was saying goodbye a couple years before he actually did, too. It wasn't after a game, it was on his coaches show, but still. 

It's been reported that Crean was actively seeking other jobs while at IU. Maybe he thought he had a new gig, but it fell through.

Archived