FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kid was set up as a fake football player to skirt admissions standards at Southern Cal.  No coaches directly involved. 

How can there not be coaches involved if the kid was on the roster?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use athletics to skirt the admission process, the kid has to get a scholarship.  Correct?  

Just now, 5fouls said:

How can there not be coaches involved if the kid was on the roster?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use athletics to skirt the admission process, the kid has to get a scholarship.  Correct?  

Nope.  The term the scammers used was "the side door".  No scholarships were ever discussed.  But by making it seem as if the kids had somewhat of an athletic background, they could be admitted according to "athletic standards" and not "normal student standards".  Then after the kids were admitted, they or someone would say the kid suffered an injury and wouldn't participate in their "sport" that year.  And after that, so long as the kid's grades were ok, nobody bothered checking. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Nope.  The term the scammers used was "the side door".  No scholarships were ever discussed.  But by making it seem as if the kids had somewhat of an athletic background, they could be admitted according to "athletic standards" and not "normal student standards".  Then after the kids were admitted, they or someone would say the kid suffered an injury and wouldn't participate in their "sport" that year.  And after that, so long as the kid's grades were ok, nobody bothered checking. 

OK.  In that case, my son is going to wrestle at Stanford and my daughter is going to play lacrosse at Duke.  

21 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm scanning through the actual filings.  I'll post the athletically related incidents.  Not all are athletics-related.  Some are just straight up college entrance exam fraud. 

Georgetown women's tennis involved.

True. However, this came out of a continuing investigation. That started about a year ago.  This.... is just the tip of the ice burg.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

True. However, this came out of a continuing investigation. That started about a year ago.  This.... is just the tip of the ice burg.

Oh yes.  In reading through these cases, it's very obvious that these are just the ones being brought to light right now.  The way these schemes were executed were so precise and polished, you can tell they have been perfected over a long period of time. 

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The FBI NEEDS to check on the recruitments of Derrick Rose (someone else, taking his qualifying exams ), and Eric Bledsoe ( No way he could quality, IMHO)  Both are part of what the FBI is accusing others schools of today. 

Also... FBI talking about tax fraud. 

The Bledsoe scandal was unimaginably bad. We've all heard the surface details, and read the public information about ridiculously acing Algebra II after failing Algebra I.  But it was even worse from what I've been told by teachers and coaches VERY familiar with the situation. People lost their careers over it. Incredible nothing ever happened. 

Cliffs Notes:

Southern Cal was by far the most implicated.  No high profile coaches involved. Lots of "donations" made their way to/through Donna Heinel, Senior Women's Associate AD.  None of the kids would ever participate in sports, but they would be passed off as athletes in order to meet lower academic standards.  At least 8 cases involved Heinel. And by my estimate, at least $1M in bribes. 

At least 2 for Georgetown tennis. 

Edit:

I feel bad for the kids involved, because some weren't even aware of these schemes.  They were just going to where their parents told them to take their ACT/SAT. 

That said, the actions of the parents are absolutely disgusting.  They couldn't deal with the thought of their kids going to a "normal" university, so they buy their way in.  Loughlin was even quoted as saying in reference to her daughter "....to get her accepted into someplace other than ASU!".  What....Arizona State not prestigious enough to support your ego?

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know my daughter got letters about joining the rowing team at IU and she never rowed in her life.  I don't know if this is the kind of thing that is going on but I always thought it was weird for her to get letters about the rowing team.

My daughter graduated from Ft. Wayne Snider, which has had a very successful football program. Her name is Jodie, so could conceivably be considered a boy. We received a nice recruiting letter from Manchester College suggesting that she would look great wearing their black and gold. I called and informed the AD that we really appreciated the offer but that I highly doubted they would want my 5" 105 lb daughter playing for them.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Oh yes.  In reading through these cases, it's very obvious that these are just the ones being brought to light right now.  The way these schemes were executed were so precise and polished, you can tell they have been perfected over a long period of time. 

I would love to have the FBI check into all that World Wide Wes did.... when he thought he was untouchable.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The Bledsoe scandal was unimaginably bad. We've all heard the surface details, and read the public information about ridiculously acing Algebra II after failing Algebra I.  But it was even worse from what I've been told by teachers and coaches VERY familiar with the situation. People lost their careers over it. Incredible nothing ever happened. 

Yeah I've been talking about that for years now, no way in the world Bledsoe suddenly is an academic genius just in time to qualify to play for Cal. It was blatant, but the NCAA dropped the proverbial ball, again. That Rose had someone sit for his SAT to play for Cal -- i.e., that he was academically ineligible -- which followed Marcus Camby's taking of cash and "services" (including a prostitute) through agents, and who was on academic probation while under Cal  at UMASS, among others, is all just so unrelated, Cal's of course squeeky clean.

Here's a bit from a NY Times piece:

Eventually, the lead tutor, Steve Satell, raised a ruckus about corners cut and papers manufactured for academically troubled athletes. He said he had taken his case to university officials. “Coach Calipari could have created a great academic program, but he ruined it,” Satell told me. “And the university was absolutely complicit.”

An Amateur Athletic Union coach in Connecticut who had sent many players to Massachusetts described Calipari’s recruiting philosophy this way: “If you qualify, we want you. If you don’t, we still want you.”

(A Boston Herald reporter once asked Coach how he failed to notice that his players were wearing diamond studs. “I don’t walk around carrying these jeweler’s glasses,” Coach replied.)

Coach Calipari has proved admirably consistent. At Memphis, he reeled in Derrick Rose, a wondrously talented point guard. Rose, it turned out, passed his SAT because someone else took the test for him.

The N.C.A.A. stripped Memphis of a season’s worth of wins. Rose left for the N.B.A., where he should have been allowed to go all along. Calipari said these allegations hit him with the force of revelation. The N.C.A.A., again, held him guiltless.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/coach-caliparis-wonderful-life-begin-the-disclaimers.html

Archived