FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Fair enough. I couldn't remember any other mentions.

Still, not concrete enough for me to pass judgment on.

And there won’t be anything concrete, because Crean definitely wasn’t doing anything like what Sean Miller or Will Wade did.  But he recruited at a high level for a number of years at Adidas’ second-most prominent basketball school.  If you don’t think anything dirty was going on with at least his tacit approval, you’re sticking your head in the sand.

50 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And there won’t be anything concrete, because Crean definitely wasn’t doing anything like what Sean Miller or Will Wade did.  But he recruited at a high level for a number of years at Adidas’ second-most prominent basketball school.  If you don’t think anything dirty was going on with at least his tacit approval, you’re sticking your head in the sand.

That's your opinion. I could make an equally compelling case for the defense. Which IU recruits were paid and how did CTC find out about the payments? Why did CTC refuse to pay the Lyles family? He was surely good enough if CTC was in that game.  Why didn't IU's recruiting success match or at least come close to Kansas's level? Why were some classes so weak?

40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's your opinion. I could make an equally compelling case for the defense. Which IU recruits were paid and how did CTC find out about the payments? Why did CTC refuse to pay the Lyles family? He was surely good enough if CTC was in that game.  Why didn't IU's recruiting success match or at least come close to Kansas's level? Why were some classes so weak?

Crean played the game. He just didn’t play it at the level of others. 

53 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Crean played the game. He just didn’t play it at the level of others. 

I agree. I always go back to the 14-15 season. IU had the Syracuse debacle two season before, missed the tourney the previous season and were nose-diving with basically Colin Hartman playing center. A bunch of guys had gotten in trouble with drugs and alcohol and the fans were turning on Crean big time, there were even boos in Assembly Hall towards Crean, then all of the sudden almost unannounced Thomas Bryant and Thon Maker both show up to the MSU game. 

Ive said this numerous times, I think at IU Crean was about as clean as a high major coach can be, but I would be absolutely floored if Adidas wasn’t involved in the Bryant and Maker visits. I’m going off memory, but wasn’t there something reported a year or two ago that Maker had a rate just for visiting?

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I would assume because the high school coaches in Indiana eventually froze him out and he wasn’t willing to go all in and start dropping bags himself.  Like I’ve said repeatedly, I’m sure he was relatively clean as far as college coaches go.  But you just don’t recruit at the level he did at a school like IU without getting dirty.  It baffles me that people still aren’t willing to believe this with everything that’s come out.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would assume because the high school coaches in Indiana eventually froze him out and he wasn’t willing to go all in and start dropping bags himself.  Like I’ve said repeatedly, I’m sure he was relatively clean as far as college coaches go.  But you just don’t recruit at the level he did at a school like IU without getting dirty.  It baffles me that people still aren’t willing to believe this with everything that’s come out.

I think it’s more of a thought of why have we sucked so bad, if we are playing the game? Lol. 

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I think it’s more of a thought of why have we sucked so bad, if we are playing the game? Lol. 

I think the issue has been that IU is on the lower end of the “playing the game” scale. I really think the administration works against the coaches on these things, as opposed to some schools where the administrations help coaches navigate the landscape. 

This isn’t me advocating for IU to cheat, I just think there’s a certain level of it that’s inevitable at this level. If you remember that podcast from last month, I think it was Snow or Peegs saying that at most schools the compliance team helps coaches navigate recruiting issues and the landscape, while IU’s compliance team is out to try and nail the staff. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think the issue has been that IU is on the lower end of the “playing the game” scale. I really think the administration works against the coaches on these things, as opposed to some schools where the administrations help coaches navigate the landscape. 

This isn’t me advocating for IU to cheat, I just think there’s a certain level of it that’s inevitable at this level. If you remember that podcast from last month, I think it was Snow or Peegs saying that at most schools the compliance team helps coaches navigate recruiting issues and the landscape, while IU’s compliance team is out to try and nail the staff. 

I'm not advocating cheating either but a "gotcha" compliance staff is toxic for a sports program.  Hard to believe an administration is dumb enough to endorse that as an effective strategy. 

12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I'm curious, are you suggesting the Zeller and Ferrel families are dirty?

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not advocating cheating either but a "gotcha" compliance staff is toxic for a sports program.  Hard to believe an administration is dumb enough to endorse that as an effective strategy. 

I think it says a lot that Adidas would gain tremendously by having IU recruit much closer to a level like the other blue bloods, and was clearly paying to funnel players to their schools, yet Indiana hasn’t recruited at a super high level the last 20+ years. Of course we’ve had our share of high ranked recruits, but not like other schools. 

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Oit of curiosity- what is the evidence that Lyles family wanted money?  Others said a coaching job?  No evidence of both right?  We do know that two kids Blackmon and Lyles decommitted around the same time.  One had a recommitment.  Both were between UK and IU based on reports.

14 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not even worth it.  I’ve had this argument a million times on here... More than enough smoke with A-Hope, Perea, Kenny Johnson, Chuck Martin, Vonleh, and the numerous mentions of Indiana that have come out throughout the course of this FBI investigation.  And now he’s out in Georgia landing the #2 recruit in the nation after his first year. I agree that he clearly didn’t go full Sean Miller and pay the kids himself, which is smart from a self-preservation standpoint.  But it’s plain as day he played the game just like they all do.  Can’t make someone see what they don’t want to.

Also a friend/protege of Izzo, and friends with Cal isn't the best look. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree. I always go back to the 14-15 season. IU had the Syracuse debacle two season before, missed the tourney the previous season and were nose-diving with basically Colin Hartman playing center. A bunch of guys had gotten in trouble with drugs and alcohol and the fans were turning on Crean big time, there were even boos in Assembly Hall towards Crean, then all of the sudden almost unannounced Thomas Bryant and Thon Maker both show up to the MSU game. 

Ive said this numerous times, I think at IU Crean was about as clean as a high major coach can be, but I would be absolutely floored if Adidas wasn’t involved in the Bryant and Maker visits. I’m going off memory, but wasn’t there something reported a year or two ago that Maker had a rate just for visiting?

Basically real life remake of "Blue Chips"

Image result for blue chips gif

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not sure if it was on here or on the radio, but I heard/read that was the most surprising thing for CAM coming from Dayton to IU, was that he didn't feel like the admin were advocates for him enough.

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Oit of curiosity- what is the evidence that Lyles family wanted money?  Others said a coaching job?  No evidence of both right?  We do know that two kids Blackmon and Lyles decommitted around the same time.  One had a recommitment.  Both were between UK and IU based on reports.

I used the term paid in reference to the job request. I've not heard anything about a straight-up cash payment but knowing where he went...who knows...

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I used the term paid in reference to the job request. I've not heard anything about a straight-up cash payment but knowing where he went...who knows...

There is a lot of knowledge of what was going on and what he supposedly received amongst many in the high school coaching circles.  Lyles to not come to IU really helps Creans clean image. We chose not to play ball in that case.

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Trey's dad was a musician, why would he need money for his kid to go to UK? :coffee:

52 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Someone can come along and correct me but there was a poster on old scout that broke down the whole thing. Would love to remember the posters name. Besides the Sampson drama and explanation.....the Lyles recruitment and how it worked was some of the most fascinating board intel I've ever read. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Someone can come along and correct me but there was a poster on old scout that broke down the whole thing. Would love to remember the posters name. Besides the Sampson drama and explanation.....the Lyles recruitment and how it worked was some of the most fascinating board intel I've ever read. 

Give Dakich a call and see what light he is willing to shed on it.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Give Dakich a call and see what light he is willing to shed on it.

He blocked me because I told him he was basically reciting verbatim what someone had posted on the old site. Dakich had some strong intel on TL being in Kentucky when he wasn't supposed to be but the guts of the recruitment came from someone on the old site. I'm paraphrasing this but basically how Nike funneled $ to IPS. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He blocked me because I told him he was basically reciting verbatim what someone had posted on the old site. Dakich had some strong intel on TL being in Kentucky when he wasn't supposed to be but the guts of the recruitment came from someone on the old site. I'm paraphrasing this but basically how Nike funneled $ to IPS. 

Very on target 

Archived