FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-corruption-trial-ex-usc-assistant-coach-tony-bland-avoids-prison-gets-two-years-probation/

Even the guilty guys get let off easy.

No way that this quagmire ever gets cleaned up. The Wades of the world will continue to cross the boundaries, with no repercussions. 

IU is a basketball school first, and my love for the program will never die, but it's getting to the point where the corruption in the game is making me want to bail on the entire sport of college basketball.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

One of the three violations included a former player, and now member of the operations staff......*gasp* practicing with the team. 

Yep, that's worthy of the electric chair. 

Pitiful ain't it.  Just freaking pitiful.

I agree. The widespread corruption and weakness of NCAA (or their own corruption) is causing me to lose interest in college basketball and football. I don't blame any coaches and players for cheating given the reward so significantly out weighs the risk, if any at all.  With no real punishment you have to choose from crossing the line similar to your competitors or losing. 

7 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

Simply deny-deny-deny. If that doesn't work, lawyer up and threaten a lawsuit. The NCAA will fold like a cheap card table.

I flipped through some of the "investigation" report that UNC's attorneys compiled a few years ago.  Complete and total waste of paper.  They could have summarized it on a post-it.  

"Dear NCAA:

*middle finger*

Sincerely,
The University of North Carolina"

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sean Miller would probably take care of him financially. Or Richardson would cut a book deal a few years down the road. He's got nothing to lose. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Players getting paid at Arizona. And Coach Miller knew nothing about it ?   Yeah.  Right. 

Miller  is going  to  skate and he is  recruiting like he knows it. He is  getting high level talent and those kids must not be the least bit worried he is going anywhere.   This   so called scandal was never  going to bring down college  bbal or big name  coaches like some said. The NCAA is interested in money and money only. 

6 hours ago, Chad B said:

I agree. The widespread corruption and weakness of NCAA (or their own corruption) is causing me to lose interest in college basketball and football. I don't blame any coaches and players for cheating given the reward so significantly out weighs the risk, if any at all.  With no real punishment you have to choose from crossing the line similar to your competitors or losing. 

I agree if the corruption  continues at this scale as the NCAA laughs and basically says continue with this I may just walk away some day in the near future. Like you I am losing interest as well and I can go watch my kids  play sports  the right way.

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. CBS Sports is reporting as many as 6 hoops programs will be notified of major violations this summer. Best that Archie holds onto a scholarship or two. Never know who might fall in your lap come July/August. 

You would think LSU and Arizona, maybe Kansas too.  Who else?  Auburn?  Oklahoma St?  

Here's the link

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/at-least-six-college-basketball-programs-will-be-notified-of-major-ncaa-violations-by-this-summer/

My guess is this will go one of two ways, with one being the most likely.

1) NCAA invalidates games and trophy's' garnered with ineligible players.

2) NCAA posts minor scholarship and recruiting limits!

On second thought knowing the NCAA's ineptitude two might win. Either way the programs say "so what"

If the NCAA doesn't hammer some of these schools(Arizona, Louisville, LSU) I will have the lost the remaining 10% of faith I have in the NCAA. The penalty part has to be on point. Don't do the normal things. It has to hurt the program. Only way to hurt a program is it's ability to still recruit. Restrict scholarships for years, no tv or tourney,etc....

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If the NCAA doesn't hammer some of these schools(Arizona, Louisville, LSU) I will have the lost the remaining 10% of faith I have in the NCAA. The penalty part has to be on point. Don't do the normal things. It has to hurt the program. Only way to hurt a program is it's ability to still recruit. Restrict scholarships for years, no tv or tourney,etc....

I cannot believe you still havee 10% faith as mine is about 1.2% Do not expect any big name schools to get hammered. An assistand coach or two may be a fall guy but none of the coaches will have anything happen to them. Bank it. 

20 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Here's the link

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/at-least-six-college-basketball-programs-will-be-notified-of-major-ncaa-violations-by-this-summer/

My guess is this will go one of two ways, with one being the most likely.

1) NCAA invalidates games and trophy's' garnered with ineligible players.

2) NCAA posts minor scholarship and recruiting limits!

On second thought knowing the NCAA's ineptitude two might win. Either way the programs say "so what"

What will likely happen to a school like Arizona is they will  have to vacate some wins and will lose  scholorship for two years. Losing one scholorship is meaningless since you do not play 13 guys anyway. Sean Miller will totally skate and continue to recruit and get five star players as the beat goes on. 

Archived