FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Coach Ray Meyer was one of my all time favorites!

But this NCAA thing is just ludicrous!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-suspends-depaul-coach-dave-leitao-for-three-games-and-places-basketball-program-on-probation/

Depaul gets the hammer for helping a player make grades! While UNC, well you know!

Thanks for the link. And to Seeking 6 for the breaking news.

Ray Meyer.  Grew up watching his teams on WGN in Chicago.  One of the most genuine and nicest guys to ever coach the college game. Must have been one reason he was able to coach Depaul for ....... 42 years !  Unthinkable in this day and age.  Especially, when there have been discussions on this very great board about Coach Miller.  After just two years.  Also, Joey Meyer was a good kid.  Just could not live up to the reputation set down by his father. Even then, Joey lasted like 13 years at Depaul.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not necessarily scandal related but Depaul hit with sanctions today. Probation and vacate wins. So hard to tell anyone under the age of say 35 how good of a program Depaul was back in the day. Besides IU they were always who I cheered for growing up.

Vacating wins?  They’ve had wins to vacate?  

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Coach Ray Meyer was one of my all time favorites!

But this NCAA thing is just ludicrous!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-suspends-depaul-coach-dave-leitao-for-three-games-and-places-basketball-program-on-probation/

Depaul gets the hammer for helping a player make grades! While UNC, well you know!

DePaul is apparently the new Cleveland State. 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Be careful some around here don't want tot talk about the past LOL!.  DePaul was a fun team to watch with Aguirre and Cummings and them losing their first game in the 81 tournament helped open the IU bracket that year.

Actually there NostraScottus, they had byes in '81...DePaul lost in the 2nd round.  And fwiw the Demons were pretty dang good with Dave Corzine.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Depaul is a perfect example of letting leadership who has no clue, idea or whatever how to run athletics. 30 years of just crap for them because of continued poor decisions from leadership.

You know more than I do about them, geez that Chicago talent used to fuel them.  Local kids wanted to play for the local school.  What in the hell happened?

17 minutes ago, rico said:

You know more than I do about them, geez that Chicago talent used to fuel them.  Local kids wanted to play for the local school.  What in the hell happened?

Honestly. Coach and a couple others are far more dialed in. Just poor leadership. City, university, athletic department...all of the above.

11 hours ago, rico said:

Actually there NostraScottus, they had byes in '81...DePaul lost in the 2nd round.  And fwiw the Demons were pretty dang good with Dave Corzine.

Where did I say they lost in the first round because I said their first game which it was.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Just saw on Twitter that allegedly a UL booster was behind the stripper payments. 

That could be big news. 

Saw that too, potentially pretty big news. I know Pitino still denies being involved, mainly through his mouthpiece Dick Vitale, but if it really a booster backing all of this, then I highly doubt Pitino didn't have some knowledge. He might not have known any of the details, in a 'the less coach knows the better' type of thing, but he would have had to know there was stuff going on. 

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Saw that too, potentially pretty big news. I know Pitino still denies being involved, mainly through his mouthpiece Dick Vitale, but if it really a booster backing all of this, then I highly doubt Pitino didn't have some knowledge. He might not have known any of the details, in a 'the less coach knows the better' type of thing, but he would have had to know there was stuff going on. 

Naw.  In order to get infractions, a coach does not have to know that a booster (Mark Adam's) bought stickers years before he coached at IU.  A booster paying for hookers? No way does that fall under the NCAA's policy that a HC is now responsible for every thing that goes on in his program. Even if he does not know.

Being facetious here.  Different strokes for different folks should be the NCAA's saying.

Archived