FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Forgot to mention they should make it where KU as to get rid of Self.

Ha. Ha. Something that mod on the old Illinois Scout site advocated for as well.  Plse understand this is not directed at you.  Just that I have a vivid memory of how other fan sites, especially Illinois,  attacked IU during and after Sampsongate.

If there isn’t a show clause for coaches that are on the record of telling shoe companies to offer money or offering themselves then I’ll just laugh. It won’t change anything. You have to fire the coach...and have multiple year suspension for tournament and scholarships. Have to do both to change the coach to punish him and then punish the university by making the job undesirable for another coach or you will get UL and they take a year off and now one year removed back into the top 10. Problem is NCAA doesn’t want to punish their money makers. They know where their bread is buttered...so likely a 1 yr post season ban and maybe some scholarships which will do nothing to a school like Kansas.

2 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Can't wait for the "don't punish the kids" cry from Kansas fans. I say punish the heck out of that cheating program.

It's easy to not punish the kids; let them transfer and be immediately eligible.  However, I have 2 caveats to that: 1) if a kid was involved in any of the violations he should be punished; 2) the kids should have to declare to transfer now, if they wait to see what the schools punishment is, then they are stuck with that too.

This is the difference between ACC schools in basketball, SEC schools in football,  and everybody else.  ESPN controls the sports narrative,  and they use their vast influence to promote and protect their business interests.  Look at how eager they have been to talk about Kansas and Arizona.  I don't recall seeing that type of aggressive reporting regarding the UNC academic scandal.  And who believes Zion committing to Duke out of the blue last minute was on the up and up?  If I were a Kansas or Zona fan, I would be very concerned.  Guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is the difference between ACC schools in basketball, SEC schools in football,  and everybody else.  ESPN controls the sports narrative,  and they use their vast influence to promote and protect their business interests.  Look at how eager they have been to talk about Kansas and Arizona.  I don't recall seeing that type of aggressive reporting regarding the UNC academic scandal.  And who believes Zion committing to Duke out of the blue last minute was on the up and up?  If I were a Kansas or Zona fan, I would be very concerned.  Guess we'll see.

Great post and spot on.

ESPN is no different than NBC, CBS, ABC, or Fox when it comes to agendas.   Just a different type of agenda for the most part, but make no mistake...cash cows are involved and the narrative is skewed.

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

ESPN hardly mentioned the UNC fake class scandal at all. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

ESPN hardly mentioned the UNC fake class scandal at all. 

Gotta agree with you.  However, I did watch a Mike and Mike interview with Coach Williams, where they went after him about paper classes.  In which Coach Williams claimed he did not know what a paper class was. 

21 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I recall the Illinois fans saying the same about IU after Sampsongate.  Not saying the two equate.  Just that is what fans do.   Let the dust settle. Could take up to a year for that to happen.  One thing that is different.  FBI is included now.  Could make a huge difference between what happened to IU and what is coming for KU.

The FBI is not involved now, in fact they denied the NCAA access to all the evidence they had collected and a judge upheld that decision. So now it's just the NCAA, using what testimony was made public and their very limited powers. That's all they have. Of course, they also have a much lower standard of "proof" when it comes to making judgement. Based on KU's response, this looks like a real battle that will drag out, maybe even into the courts.

15 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

The FBI is not involved now, in fact they denied the NCAA access to all the evidence they had collected and a judge upheld that decision. So now it's just the NCAA, using what testimony was made public and their very limited powers. That's all they have. Of course, they also have a much lower standard of "proof" when it comes to making judgement. Based on KU's response, this looks like a real battle that will drag out, maybe even into the courts.

OK. Thanks for clearing that up for me.   Even though the FBI is no longer involved.  Can't understand why the evidence has been denied to the NCAA. 

I agree that this looks to drag out.  KU has 90 days to reply to the NOA.  And then the NCAA has something like 45 days to reply to the KU response.  And right now, I am reading that KU not only has hired a team of attorneys, but intends to fight this, should the NCAA eventually find against them .

Overall, not a good thing for KU, IHMO.  As we have already seen one incoming player transfer out.  More to follow ?  Or others not willing to take a chance on KU.

I’ve never studied the power of the NCAA but how do you fight them in court? The NCAA is over the tournament etc. If you don’t do what they say you get a ban. The NCAA could also then force the conference to cancel all their games. The schools have given them this power...so all you can do is try to convince them you are right but you can’t over turn their decision. It would be a self inflicted death penalty would it not??

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’ve never studied the power of the NCAA but how do you fight them in court? The NCAA is over the tournament etc. If you don’t do what they say you get a ban. The NCAA could also then force the conference to cancel all their games. The schools have given them this power...so all you can do is try to convince them you are right but you can’t over turn their decision. It would be a self inflicted death penalty would it not??

I see your point and agree completely, but hiring lawyers and going to court worked for UNC. If I were one of these schools I would do exactly what UNC did.

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with many here.  After the way UNC got away scot-free with egregious stuff, I have no confidence that anything will come of this.  Just resist and appeal.

If I am the NCAA, I am not going to get embarrassed publicly by another University. If they fight me, I put the screws to them and show everyone else it is a very bad idea to fight us anymore. 

Since I am NOT the NCAA, you all are probably right and nothing will happen to anyone.

48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I guess what I’m saying is who hears the appeal? De Souza was suppose to set out all year this year but it was over turned. Like who decides the NCAA is wrong? I mean if anyone actually is showing to have lost institutional control it’s them. So do they get booted??

The NCAA it is my belief hears the appeal.  Then it could go to a court. In the case of North Carolina, eventually, it was a federal judge that eventually threw the case out of court.

Court dismisses NCAA from North Carolina lawsuit

Archived