FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The NCAA it is my belief hears the appeal.  Then it could go to a court. In the case of North Carolina, eventually, it was a federal judge that eventually threw the case out of court.

Court dismisses NCAA from North Carolina lawsuit

Thanks. If the NCAA can’t close the deal on Self and company then they are no longer relevant...well even more so.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I heard DD just say that Georgia Tech placed on 2 yr post season ban Is this news or did I just miss it?

I didn't know about it. Appearantly the first year Pastner was there an assistant gave a recruit and player money at a strip club and a booster helped talk to a kid to come to Georgia Tech. Kinda Louisville light.

Just now, dgambill said:

I didn't know about it. Appearantly the first year Pastner was there an assistant gave a recruit and player money at a strip club and a booster helped talk to a kid to come to Georgia Tech. Kinda Louisville light.

That is what DD was saying and basically said giving money to kid to go to a strip club gets you 2 year post season ban but fake classes at UNC is not a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is what DD was saying and basically said giving money to kid to go to a strip club gets you 2 year post season ban but fake classes at UNC is not a big deal. 

Well one was against NCAA rules and the other was not.  even though those classes were a joke but other students were in those classes so it was not against any rules.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well one was against NCAA rules and the other was not.  even though those classes were a joke but other students were in those classes so it was not against any rules.

Exactly...every college has those classes. Everyone talks and finds out which class or professor is an easy A. Might not be to the extreme that UNC was but it wasn't just basketball players that benefited. Now if it could have been shown that there was coordination between the academic and athletic department to set up those classes and put players in them...probably would have been the smoking gun they needed. Still sad commentary of a school of higher learning.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Exactly...every college has those classes. Everyone talks and finds out which class or professor is an easy A. Might not be to the extreme that UNC was but it wasn't just basketball players that benefited. Now if it could have been shown that there was coordination between the academic and athletic department to set up those classes and put players in them...probably would have been the smoking gun they needed. Still sad commentary of a school of higher learning.

I had a friend in one summer session take tennis and bowling and he was not an athlete.

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So, if the kid goes to the strip club, that is an offense, but when the strippers are brought to the kid (see Louisville) that's okay?

:coffee:

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

So, if the kid goes to the strip club, that is an offense, but when the strippers are brought to the kid (see Louisville) that's okay?

:coffee:

Its funny but here is part of the issue I believe. At GT the recruit was given money for the strip club.

I once got in trouble when I gave a player $5 because he had no money to get dinner when we stopped on the way home after a summer team camp. I was told had I bought the food and gave it to him, no problem but the fact that I gave him money it was an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Its funny but here is part of the issue I believe. At GT the recruit was given money for the strip club.

I once got in trouble when I gave a player $5 because he had no money to get dinner when we stopped on the way home after a summer team camp. I was told had I bought the food and gave it to him, no problem but the fact that I gave him money it was an issue. 

Yeah it is pretty dumb. There should be some common sense used for these rules. Like say less than $20 a day or not to exceed $100 a month or something just to avoid kids going hungry or not being able to have gas to drive home or something. Stuff to cover incidentals...but yeah..it's crazy I could never be a coach because I don't know how many times I give my coworkers money for lunch or to treat them to ice cream or dumb stuff like that.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

While that may be true the NCAA does have rules about athletes being in good academic standing to play.   Fake classes are what kept many of the athletes eligible.  Unfortunately the NCAA has no authority over what courses are offered by a university.  And there in lies the problem.    It's an absolute joke.  You had the McCants kid at UNC that was flunking out make the Dean's list the next semester.   It was blatant cheating and not punishing them just encourages more of the same.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Georgia Tech Punishment Summary

• Four years' probation and banned the Yellow Jackets from playing in the postseason in 2019-20
  • Lose one scholarship for each year of probation along with other recruiting restrictions
  • Fined $5,000 plus 2 percent of the men's basketball operating budget
  • Former Georgia Tech assistant coach Darryl LaBarrie was given a three-year show-cause order

12 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

• Four years' probation and banned the Yellow Jackets from playing in the postseason in 2019-20
  • Lose one scholarship for each year of probation along with other recruiting restrictions
  • Former Georgia Tech assistant coach Darryl LaBarrie was given a three-year show-cause order

Have to think they can take it to Kansas now. 

13 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

What about hitting the HC with a LOC ?  Thought that was an automatic now.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I had a friend in one summer session take tennis and bowling and he was not an athlete.

I wasn't your friend, but when I took summer school, I took Tennis TWICE. Once in each SS session. It was a blast!

Back when the wheel was just invented, we needed 2 phys ed credits for undergrad. So hello Tennis.

Oops...this is off topic. My apologies. I'll try to refrain.

19 minutes ago, DWB said:

I wasn't your friend, but when I took summer school, I took Tennis TWICE. Once in each SS session. It was a blast!

Back when the wheel was just invented, we needed 2 phys ed credits for undergrad. So hello Tennis.

I took golf which I played in HS. However I didn't know the teacher was going to have the finals over what seemed like the entire rules of the game. I mean the golf rules book can get very extreme and very confusing. I still aced the class but dang that was no easy A test.

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Have to think they can take it to Kansas now. 

I’d have to see it to believe it.  Georgia Tech cooperated with the NCAA and got hammered.  Louisville cooperated with the NCAA.  UNC told the NCAA to go kick rocks and got off scot free.  Kansas & Bill Self are more or less ready for war with the NCAA so I’m guessing they get off light or with no real sanctions/penalties.  Moral of the story, never cooperate with the NCAA because if you do, you’ll get hammered.

17 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

I’d have to see it to believe it.  Georgia Tech cooperated with the NCAA and got hammered.  Louisville cooperated with the NCAA.  UNC told the NCAA to go kick rocks and got off scot free.  Kansas & Bill Self are more or less ready for war with the NCAA so I’m guessing they get off light or with no real sanctions/penalties.  Moral of the story, never cooperate with the NCAA because if you do, you’ll get hammered.

I don't know what it is. However, every time I see your avatar.  I can't help but thinking of Government Cheese.  LOL

And you are right about Kansas.  From what I have read. They are digging the trenches. And bringing in the heavy artillery. 

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Is that why I took tennis and sailing? 😂 But both were great. Sailing was very much outside my comfort zone and kind of a personal win for me. 

Archived