FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope all of this will help transform the college game and get it back to what it is suppose to be and that is an activity for college student. it was not suppose to be a training ground for the NBA and it is time the NCAA and the NBA get together and make serious changes.  We need at least the baseball rule where you can go to the NBA right out of high school or you go to college for 3 years.  This would allow the players who don't want to go to college an avenue to play the game and leave the college game for real student/athletes.  This would also stop agents from coming to college campuses every year trying to entice the athletes to go pro.

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Can schools like us drop Adidas even though we signed contact? 

Well, I'd make sure we were in the clear before we go throwing stones....but I would be looking for loopholes to get out of the deal if we are in fact clean. That is NOT a good look having that kind of company scandal around us. 

I seem to recall a story not too long ago about a top HS recruit in a meeting with an agent and NBA player. I believe some on here dismissed it as routine & not newsworthy. I don't remember any shoe company involvement but once again, we cannot be sure what was going on behind the scenes. Cannot be sure that conversation didn't include talk of shoe contracts. May not be related but given the magnitude of this scandal it can't be ruled out so easily.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Involvement by Kenny Johnson, which may be verified soon, does NOT mean that he was doing similar things while at IU.  In fact, he may have moved to Louisville (with Adidas help) for the express purpose of being allowed to do something at UL that he could not do at IU.  

I am hoping this is more the case!

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Involvement by Kenny Johnson, which may be verified soon, does NOT mean that he was doing similar things while at IU.  In fact, he may have moved to Louisville (with Adidas help) for the express purpose of being allowed to do something at UL that he could not do at IU.  

Let's hope so. Was he involved with the Thomas Bryant recruitment?

58 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

How will this impact the CURRENT recruiting landscape? Players that were expecting cash this year or next still have decisions to make.

This brings up a ton of questions.

Yes it does.... We know more schools and coaches will be involved. This would sure be the year too get a late start on recruiting and have a bunch of open scholarships!

33 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Can schools like us drop Adidas even though we signed contact? 

Well, I'd make sure we were in the clear before we go throwing stones....but I would be looking for loopholes to get out of the deal if we are in fact clean. That is NOT a good look having that kind of

I doubt that in this day and age unfortunately that there are many squeaky cleans coaches.  I would guess that most operate in the gray areas of recruiting and try not to go too far over the line. I hate that but I think it is the trickle down effect .Generalizing here of course but if he can get away with that surely I can just do this and be ok.  In my opinion an infraction no matter minor or major is an infraction and too often coaches get caught up in the win at all cost and minor infractions lead to bigger issues. For some coaches its easier to turn a "blind eye" to it and act as if they don't know.   coach Knight always talked about the fact that as the head coach he better know everything going on in his program and if a donor was too friendly with players he dealt with it and over the years lost a lot of donors and athletic boosters.  

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

If you are Purdue you have to be worried about the Swanigan recruitment, right?

I was always laughed at by Purdue fans and even some of our fans when I said that Swanigan never looked at us because we were not a Nike school.  I was told that shoe companies did not have a big influence on where a recruit go to school but I guess I am having the last laugh.

Archived