FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

after listening to the press conference, how is UL tied to this?

No one associated with U of L is under federal indictment.  But, in their report (linked by mile earlier) a school referenced as #6 is obviously Louisville based on the specifics provided.  And, in the report, an unnamed Assistant coach is on video negotiating a $100,000 payment to the family of Brian Bowen, who had committed to Louisville a few weeks earlier.   

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No one associated with U of L is under federal indictment.  But, in their report (linked by mile earlier) a school referenced as #6 is obviously Louisville based on the specifics provided.  And, in the report, an unnamed Assistant coach is on video negotiating a $100,000 payment to the family of Brian Bowen, who had committed to Louisville a few weeks earlier.   

I wonder why no indictment yet.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was always laughed at by Purdue fans and even some of our fans when I said that Swanigan never looked at us because we were not a Nike school.  I was told that shoe companies did not have a big influence on where a recruit go to school but I guess I am having the last laugh.

The problem is I don't think every top talent kid is herded or heavily influenced by a shoe company, but it is definitely a lot more than the average person thinks. And since you can point to these kids you know (at least have a good idea of) aren't corrupted like that, its easy to dismiss it being a widespread problem. But I guess, regardless, here we are finally.

12 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

And this is what is going to happen. The assistant coaches will be the fall guys and the head coaches will skate.

I would think a lot of these head coaches will go as well just because of public pressure if nothing else. Just to show you are cleaning house. Crean was smart to set out a year.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

After watching the Justice Dept's presser.... it is my humble opinion that families or family members who accepted cash, should be indicted as well.

Sure. that's a textbook case of tax evasion. I can't imagine any of the parents claimed those payments on their income tax return.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

After watching the Justice Dept's presser.... it is my humble opinion that families or family members who accepted cash, should be indicted as well.

Maybe the feds are holding the indictment over their heads to ensure that they'll cooperate in charges against the other defendants. Just guessing, of course.

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

U of L assistant was overheard an hour ago calling Katina Powell to send some girls over to Minardi Hall to console the players.  :ph34r: 

Katina probably feels more used than normal if they gave 1 player $100K versus how many she delivered for them.

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yep.  I recall Crean mentioning his frustration about certain recruiting tactics other teams were using on the recruiting trail.  I have no reason to suspect he stooped to that level, and doubt he did, but if it were to come out that he did I'll be P.O.'d.

our lack of top recruits proves this to be true. 

Archived