FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

WOWZA!!!! I go to work and hear the news on the radio. Come home and there's 9 pages of stuff here! You guys are on top of it!

I just hope programs like UK and NC get mentioned. I just have a hard time believing that a "NBA" rookie program like UK is running goes unscathed!

Yeah, while still big schools, it will be crazy if places like USC, Miami, Auburn, South Carolina, etc. go down and UK, Duke, UNC and KU come out unscathed, Though, I have the feeling this is a 'tip of the iceberg" type of situation. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

There is a lot of speculation about the coaches, administration, and execs of different companies, but I haven't seen anything about what it means for the athletes.  Will players that have been proven to take money be ineligible/kicked out of school or what? I'm sure there are a number of things that could happen, but is there a precedent for this that might be on a smaller scale? 

The players will be ineligible, games stripped if they played. Family members should be arrested if they took a pay off.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

There is a lot of speculation about the coaches, administration, and execs of different companies, but I haven't seen anything about what it means for the athletes.  Will players that have been proven to take money be ineligible/kicked out of school or what? I'm sure there are a number of things that could happen, but is there a precedent for this that might be on a smaller scale? 

They would definitely lose their eligibility and couldn't play in college

7 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

WOWZA!!!! I go to work and hear the news on the radio. Come home and there's 9 pages of stuff here! You guys are on top of it!

I just hope programs like UK and NC get mentioned. I just have a hard time believing that a "NBA" rookie program like UK is running goes unscathed!

Hoosier Sports Nation is the place to be for the latest News!!

Elephant in the room.

Looking at other boards and realized the fan bases at no school other than those specifically mentioned, seems to think their school is tainted.  UK, UNC, Kansas, etc. I'm thinking those fans are either naive, or just plain blind stupid.  Then I realized, I was doing teh same thing.

• We are an Adidas school (arguably one of the top s with Kansas and Louisville)
  • The program of our coach's brother is part of the story.
  •  We have stories of a strange relationship between Bryant and unknown hanger-ons 

Should we, as IU fans, be concerned?  And, if you say 'no', what makes you comfortable in saying that?

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I think its a matter of time before Nike is implicated. There is simply no way it's just Adidas unless the investigation leaves it at that. And if/when that happens we will probably see Nike affiliated schools come into some serious trouble too.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Elephant in the room.

Looking at other boards and realized the fan bases at no school other than those specifically mentioned, seems to think their school is tainted.  UK, UNC, Kansas, etc. I'm thinking those fans are either naive, or just plain blind stupid.  Then I realized, I was doing teh same thing.

• We are an Adidas school (arguably one of the top s with Kansas and Louisville)
  •  We have stories of a strange relationship between Bryant and unknown hanger-ons 

Should we, as IU fans, be concerned?  And, if you say 'no', what makes you comfortable in saying that?

The Bryant thing worries me. Remember that time in Crean's tenure? The team was terrible and he was being booed at home. Then all of the sudden out of nowhere Bryant and Thon Maker show up to the MSU game. I know we had been recruiting both, but if I remember correctly their visits to that game were something that seemed to happen pretty last minute. I'm not saying Crean did anything and I tend to think he's a pretty clean coach, at least comparatively, but those visits to that game always made me wonder. 

I'd think that if I were a fan of any school, I'd be a bit concerned.  It's not even just the coaching staff.  I'd imagine there are alumni and boosters at every program who would, without hesitation, pay players and make shady deals with shoe companies - not only to see their favorite team win, but also to feel like they had something to do with it.

This stuff goes on all the time and everywhere; it's just some people were caught, and it may open the floodgates.

Edit: Obviously some schools are much more guilty than others, but I'd be shocked if there were ANY power 5 school that was completely innocent over the years.

5 minutes ago, ephul said:

What an embarrassment for the NCAA. FBI having to come in and clean up a mess that the NCAA "knew nothing about"

Oh i'm sure they have known of things for years. But with no subpoena powers there is only so much they can do. The FBI is a different story.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Elephant in the room.

As long as a school got any significant 5-star pro prospects to play, there should be concern. I don't see families like the Zellers or Ferrells taking cash, but there are absolutely reasons to be concerned if you got 5-star talent, especially if they came from low income or difficult backgrounds.  Our northern neighbors are feeling smug and saying "that's why Painter loses so many recruiting battles" but I also remember Crean being told not to bother recruiting Swanigan because IU wasn't a Nike school.

Purdue fans...be real careful about throwing stones from that glass house you live in.

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

What an embarrassment for the NCAA. FBI having to come in and clean up a mess that the NCAA "knew nothing about"

That's a bit unfair.  The FBI has the power to subpoena people and documents, charge people with crimes, etc.  The NCAA does not have any of those powers.

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Elephant in the room.

Absolutely, and I am.

Just now, slojoe said:

That's a bit unfair.  The FBI has the power to subpoena people and documents, charge people with crimes, etc.  The NCAA does not have any of those powers.

FBI investigating this for 3 years prior and NCAA just found out this morning about it tells you all you need to know. 

1 minute ago, slojoe said:

The NCAA's biggest problem (outside their unwillingness to ever make the punishment fit the crime) is that they basically have to rely on the school to tell on itself.

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

It's not unfair. The NCAA has enough power to stop this kind of stuff. And it chose to let it go. 

Wouldn't it make more sense if the NCAA found these issues and turned it over/worked with the FBI? Instead, they are clueless. And the FBI has no faith in them either.

5 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'd think that if I were a fan of any school, I'd be a bit concerned.  It's not even just the coaching staff.  I'd imagine there are alumni and boosters at every program who would, without hesitation, pay players and make shady deals with shoe companies - not only to see their favorite team win, but also to feel like they had something to do with it.

This stuff goes on all the time and everywhere; it's just some people were caught, and it may open the floodgates.

Edit: Obviously some schools are much more guilty than others, but I'd be shocked if there were ANY power 5 school that was completely innocent over the years.

This is spot on.  I've been saying all along that every school cheats, it's just a matter of not going too far over the line.  Louisville obviously went wayyy over the line, while a guy like Crean was relatively clean in comparison.  But I always thought it was naive to think that Crean wasn't bending/breaking some rules just like everyone else.  

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is spot on.  I've been saying all along that every school cheats, it's just a matter of not going too far over the line.  Louisville obviously went wayyy over the line, while a guy like Crean was relatively clean in comparison.  But I always thought it was naive to think that Crean wasn't bending/breaking some rules just like everyone else.  

I think were good, one thing we can 99.9% know is Crean came in and cleaned up and walked a straight line. One telling story that fits that narrative is that we missed out on a TON of top recruits and Crean not paying up the price to get them tells me we should be in the clear. 

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

It's not unfair. The NCAA has enough power to stop this kind of stuff. And it chose to let it go. 

Wouldn't it make more sense if the NCAA found these issues and turned it over/worked with the FBI? Instead, they are clueless. And the FBI has no faith in them either.

The NCAA has clearly turned a blind eye, but I also put some blame on the coaches and media. I realize doing so would put your coaching career in jeopardy, likely ending it, but the coaches have had chances to clean this up and they haven't done it. The coaches and the media know who the dirty ones are. 

Several years ago Izzo came out and ranted about not being able to compete with dirty coaches. Well, if it bothers him so much he could have named names. I realize that's a stretch, and Izzo would have essentially been giving up his career, but if some coaches became whistle-blowers years ago, again an incredibly difficult thing to do, a lot of this could have been cleaned up. If a group of coaches who had enough got together to take a stand they could have cleaned this up. Again, not an easy thing, but coaches and media have been covering for each other for years. 

The media too. One of the reasons I have such little respect for Dick Vitale is how he constantly waxes poetic about certain coaches who we all know are dirty. You think Vitale doesn't know that Cal, Boeheim, Pearl, Pitino, etc. are dirty? Of course he does, yet you'll find him there every Saturday this Winter defending them all. 

Same with some of the other mainstream college basketball media, especially the more investigative guys. 

I also realize you need proof and can't just start making accusations off the cuff, but the larger point is this could have been cleaned up by the industry, yet for decades prominent people who claim the virtuous and in it for the kids have have turned a blind eye as well. 

So my post about Crean and Buckley was wrong, was getting played.  😡  So far no mention to IU being involved and nobody on the inside is expecting a thing other than a commitment from someone from New Albany. Staff was already confident in getting him, now the other competition just eliminated itself 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

So my post about Crean and Buckley was wrong, was getting played.  😡  So far no mention to IU being involved and nobody on the inside is expecting a thing other than a commitment from someone from New Albany. Staff was already confident in getting him, now the other competition just eliminated itself 

as expected...

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The NCAA has clearly turned a blind eye, but I also put some blame on the coaches and media. I realize doing so would put your coaching career in jeopardy, likely ending it, but the coaches have had chances to clean this up and they haven't done it. The coaches and the media know who the dirty ones are. 

Several years ago Izzo came out and ranted about not being able to compete with dirty coaches. Well, if it bothers him so much he could have named names. I realize that's a stretch, and Izzo would have essentially been giving up his career, but if some coaches became whistle-blowers years ago, again an incredibly difficult thing to do, a lot of this could have been cleaned up. If a group of coaches who had enough got together to take a stand they could have cleaned this up. Again, not an easy thing, but coaches and media have been covering for each other for years. 

The media too. One of the reasons I have such little respect for Dick Vitale is how he constantly waxes poetic about certain coaches who we all know are dirty. You think Vitale doesn't know that Cal, Boeheim, Pearl, Pitino, etc. are dirty? Of course he does, yet you'll find him there every Saturday this Winter defending them all. 

Same with some of the other mainstream college basketball media, especially the more investigative guys. 

I also realize you need proof and can't just start making accusations off the cuff, but the larger point is this could have been cleaned up by the industry, yet for decades prominent people who claim the virtuous and in it for the kids have have turned a blind eye as well. 

Bowen was a heavy lean to Mich.St. before he went to UofL out of the blue. Tells me 1 of 2 things. Izzo doesn't cheat or adidas out bid Nike for this one. Not sure anymore.

Archived