FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the question is if Louisville does get the death penalty how long will it take the players to clear an NCAA investigation so they can transfer. That could really change the landscape of recruiting for this year and next year. I would assume clean players can transfer immediately which means they can go to teams with scholarships available for 2017 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The NCAA has clearly turned a blind eye, but I also put some blame on the coaches and media. I realize doing so would put your coaching career in jeopardy, likely ending it, but the coaches have had chances to clean this up and they haven't done it. The coaches and the media know who the dirty ones are. 

Several years ago Izzo came out and ranted about not being able to compete with dirty coaches. Well, if it bothers him so much he could have named names. I realize that's a stretch, and Izzo would have essentially been giving up his career, but if some coaches became whistle-blowers years ago, again an incredibly difficult thing to do, a lot of this could have been cleaned up. If a group of coaches who had enough got together to take a stand they could have cleaned this up. Again, not an easy thing, but coaches and media have been covering for each other for years. 

The media too. One of the reasons I have such little respect for Dick Vitale is how he constantly waxes poetic about certain coaches who we all know are dirty. You think Vitale doesn't know that Cal, Boeheim, Pearl, Pitino, etc. are dirty? Of course he does, yet you'll find him there every Saturday this Winter defending them all. 

Same with some of the other mainstream college basketball media, especially the more investigative guys. 

I also realize you need proof and can't just start making accusations off the cuff, but the larger point is this could have been cleaned up by the industry, yet for decades prominent people who claim the virtuous and in it for the kids have have turned a blind eye as well. 

I've gotten tired of the Dickie V schtick as well. However, he has a major foundation that raises tons of money for cancer research every year. A lot of these coaches appear at his fundraisers, and I'm sure are major donors. Dickie is never going to call them out and risk losing those dollars.

i think that's how it works with a lot of the media. Fear of losing something, access, donations, future employment, make them look the other way or at least bite their tongues. 

Hard to respect the media when they play those kind of games which is why I am glad that this came out through the FBI .

38 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Just got another call saying no one makes it out of this. AD and whole staff will be gone.

As well as it should be.....

33 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You think the NCAA will move that quick?

I wonder what this means for UNC? I could see it going either way. They are happy to no longer be the  center of attention.... OR the NCAA finally comes down on them to show they are not the joke of an organization everyone is making them out to be.

Man, one can only hope.....

Also funny because I'm pretty sure UK is the last basketball program to get the death penalty in the 50's for point shaving etc. Personally I can't stand either school, being from southern IN right across the river, most Card fans I know have become so cocky and almost unbearable the past few years. 

Did Baylor just get big sanctions after that murder coverup? I couldn't remember for sure if they got the death penalty. 

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Agree.  Arranging payment for recruits is pretty near the top of the list of serious offenses.  Commit such an offense while on probation for another recruiting crime and I'm not sure what else would meet the death penalty criteria.  Heck, Sampson didn't commit any major violation - the real crime was doing it after being caught once before and I believe that's why it became serious.

In retrospect, IU was really, really stupid to blow the program up over some phone calls.  I can't imagine the NCAA would have come down with a very harsh penalty.

Sort off topic , but what about Miami university in this mess of a scandal. I remember when iu was recruiting Bruce brown top 50 SG he was all but a lock for iu then suddenly out of nowhere committed to Miami there were lot of rumors something shady happened there I distinctly remember a reporter/journalist on Twitter said something along those lines. I feel like there were many cases like that just raised red flags to me that Miami didn't exactly escaped their very dirty shtick in terms of how they recruited. 

Just now, Calihoosier said:

Sort off topic , but what about Miami university in this mess of a scandal. I remember when iu was recruiting Bruce brown top 50 SG he was all but a lock for iu then suddenly out of nowhere committed to Miami there were lot of rumors something shady happened there I distinctly remember a reporter/journalist on Twitter said something along those lines. I feel like there were many cases like that just raised red flags to me that Miami didn't exactly escaped their very dirty shtick in terms of how they recruited. 

I believe that Miami has been implicated as well as, I think they are one of the unnamed universities.  Pretty sure I saw that somewhere today.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In retrospect, IU was really, really stupid to blow the program up over some phone calls.  I can't imagine the NCAA would have come down with a very harsh penalty.

Don't forget Miles Brand was the head of the NCAA at that point I believe.  This was just after he left IU and had fired Knight.  He may have made sure the NCAA went harder on IU so that nobody accused him of going easy on them since he used to be the president there.  Not saying that is definitely what would have happened, but surely was something under consideration.

Just now, bstall76 said:

I believe that Miami has been implicated as well as, I think they are one of the unnamed universities.  Pretty sure I saw that somewhere today.

I think they were university 7 if I remember on those documents just wanted remind people we lost couple of recruits to them. I just wanted remind people about Miami since back then people were pretty pissed about losing a recruit to that school.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If IU was implicated, it would have been included. 

Tip of the iceberg.  It's obvious the named schools and coaches are not the only ones involved in this behavior.  Would not be surprised to see 25%-30% of programs to have some fallout on this or similar revelations about other apparel companies when it is all said and done.

Archived