FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Kind of answers some recruiting misses we have over the years.  Sometimes we were puzzled at why we did not get a certain recruit when it looked like we were in the lead for the recruit.  Also except of UL and UA the other schools need to learn to cheat better because it has not really help.  I just saw the list includes South Carolina so maybe it did help them last year.

This is absolutely fair. For all those who questioned Crean, he several times implied that something was going on in a recruitment, and IU backed off. This is a shining example of the why. 

I have several times posted that one thing that can make recruiting at a school like IU difficult is the school's usual commitment to academics and to recruiting clean, and we absolutely recruit clean (well, post-Sampson phone gate). Many schools don't. Louisville... I am frankly surprised that UK isn't caught up in this, but as another poster has said, Teflon John is (or may be) too smart for this kind of stuff.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Tip of the iceberg.  It's obvious the named schools and coaches are not the only ones involved in this behavior.  Would not be surprised to see 25%-30% of programs to have some fallout on this or similar revelations about other apparel companies when it is all said and done.

Oh I think more will be be named, but you don't omit IU if it's implicated. Too big. That's why Louisville, etc. is implicated. And Crean ran as clean a program as one could run. If you believe Crean and staff were involved in this kind of stuff, well, I don't know what to tell you. Do you really believe that?

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is absolutely fair. For all those who questioned Crean, he several times implied that something was going on in a recruitment, and IU backed off. This is a shining example of the why. 

I have several times posted that one thing that can make recruiting at a school like IU difficult is the school's usual commitment to academics and to recruiting clean, and we absolutely recruit clean (well, post-Sampson phone gate). Many schools don't. Louisville... I am frankly surprised that UK isn't caught up in this, but as another poster has said, Teflon John is (or may be) too smart for this kind of stuff.

I posted it earlier, and I still think it is true the reason we have not heard anything about UK, UNC is that this was day 1 and it was Adidas, I firmly believe that Nike and Under Armor will have their own days just like Adidas did today.  There is NO WAY Adidas and Adidas schools were the only ones involved in this type of activity.

Reading the Tea Leaves and random thoughts, I think there are two huge elephants in the room. The first is the guy connected to both Adidas and Nike, if he starts singing the ice berg may be floating and I gotta believe there are a lot of people around Nike squirming tonight. The second elephant is the UL recruit implicated in takin $100,000, if he starts singing a lot of the competition may get implicated. I certainly hope this all comes down hard on this recruit (sorry for him) but the precedent needs to be set. Other recruits that are basically good people but succumbing to the snake charmers are going to say "you know I'll pass and just collect legitimate money in a year or two". Why risk going to jail for 100K when you will make millions?

Just now, bstall76 said:

I posted it earlier, and I still think it is true the reason we have not heard anything about UK, UNC is that this was day 1 and it was Adidas, I firmly believe that Nike and Under Armor will have their own days just like Adidas did today.  There is NO WAY Adidas and Adidas schools were the only ones involved in this type of activity.

I think that's  possible. I'd find it kind of odd to leave a program like UK or UNC out of an announcement like this -- too big -- but that's a logical reason to think just maybe...

Here's a question I have.  Obviously the players who received money directly are going to be ineligible.  But what about the players whose coaches took bribes to steer them to agents/Adidas?  I'm assuming that meeting with an agent/shoe company to discuss a future deal affects a player's eligibility.  But what if they didn't come to an agreement, or what if the player never knew about the deal being made behind his back?  I haven't read the description of every incident, so I'm not even sure how all the players in those situations were involved.

Just now, bstall76 said:

Alex Bozich Retweeted Jason Riley

👀

Alex Bozich added,

Jason RileyVerified account @JasonRileyWDRB
I hear the big news is coming in the morning. And it is Big. News.
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

Hey bstall is this in reference to Louisville? Or more schools in trouble? 

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

👀

Alex Bozich added,

Retweet

Direct message

Dang.  That is one heck of a tease.

1 minute ago, Indiana8585 said:

Hey bstall is this in reference to Louisville? Or more schools in trouble? 

I am not sure, he works for WDRB in Louisville, but I don't think he would word it that way if he was talking about Louisville, everyone expects news from there.  He is NOT a spots reporter though, he is criminal justice reporter.  I have a feeling we here more schools, more shoe companies in the coming days, no way this was only Adidas.

Just now, bstall76 said:

I am not sure, he works for WDRB in Louisville, but I don't think he would word it that way if he was talking about Louisville, everyone expects news from there.  He is NOT a spots reporter though, he is criminal justice reporter.  I have a feeling we here more schools, more shoe companies in the coming days, no way this was only Adidas.

Interesting thanks for the info. Lots of schools are going to be worried tonight. 

8 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

👀

Alex Bozich added,

Retweet

Direct message

Mr. Pitino might have finally gone too far...

13 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

So I guess the FBI is handling cases in alphabetical order?

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

I feel like this will be a snowball affect. People getting busted will start turning others in,  meaning more programs will fall. I'm hoping one of them is UK.

I made a comment about this just a little while ago.  One of these Adidas guys used to work for Nike EYBL.  What if he starts making deals with prosecutors?

Archived