FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are so many angles here that could draw IU into the story.

• Adidas
  • Kenny Johnson
  • Sean Miller

Johnson worries me the most here.  While this did happen before the investigation supposedly started in 2015, it seems pretty clear to me now that we probably cheated to get Vonleh in 2013 at the very least.  Vonleh was the highest ranked recruit Crean ever landed, he committed out of nowhere, he was from the east coast, and it was well known that Johnson was the guy who landed him for us.  Then Johnson was gone at the end of the year.

I do also wonder about what they're saying about Phinisee and Anderson on the Purdue boards.  We've all marveled at how Archie has been able to make up so much ground with the class of 2018 in so little time.  Maybe there's a reason for that...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Johnson worries me the most here.  While this did happen before the investigation supposedly started in 2015, it seems pretty clear to me now that we probably cheated to get Vonleh in 2013 at the very least.  Vonleh was the highest ranked recruit Crean ever landed, he committed out of nowhere, he was from the east coast, and it was well known that Johnson was the guy who landed him for us.  Then Johnson was gone at the end of the year.

I do also wonder about what they're saying about Phinisee and Anderson on the Purdue boards.  We've all marveled at how Archie has been able to make up so much ground with the class of 2018 in so little time.  Maybe there's a reason for that...

Yeah...people are going to make the mistake of thinking there's no way Archie could be dirty.

21 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

True, but Phinisee and Anderson are not 5-star recruits or even one-or-two-or-three-and-done style guys.  The smattering of 4-stars we've landed this year are not likely to warrant ADIDAS money. Not worried about Archie at all.

This is true, but Garland, Romeo, Dort, Brooks, Watford, Hurt, and Jackson-Davis all definitely are.  Archie has jumped into the deep end with the sharks very quickly.

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Two things we all missed here. Arizona is a Nike school and school 2 in the report is South Carolina, they are an Under Armour school. Every shoe company is going to get kicked here. And no cheating coach is sleeping for a while.

Agree that all the shoe companies are likely going to be exposed.  At least Nike definitely will.  But the difference between Arizona/South Carolina and Louisville/Miami is that there's no evidence the coaches at Arizona/South Carolina had any contact with shoe company reps.  They were just taking (relatively) small-time bribes from independent agents.  

On the other hand, I don't think Archie is feeling the pressure to produce results yet.  Sure, he WANTS to compete. That's his nature, but right now, he's got a blank check. Does he feel a need to cheat today, I doubt it. I think all coaches start out with the intention of doing things the right way. Too many of them are tempted to cheat when the pressure to win gets strong.  

I'm also not buying that all elite recruits take money to play at a given school.  I'd be willing to bet a significant sum that none of the Zeller brothers took a nickel outside of the rules.  I doubt they are the only family out there with ethics or at least a fear of getting caught.

Anthony Davis on the other hand...yeah, he absolutely took UK cash. The more I read, the more confident I am of that.

1 hour ago, iRepIU said:

ive been  round since HSN 1.0. check my username. long time poster, not some newbie we adopted like boiler :P

The Billy D thread that was drug out, pissed me, along with others off, because we were cat fished by a "reputable" poster and all of it ended up being BS.  Every one should take news ANYWHERE here with a grain of salt, our current president had 2% chance of winning an election from MANY reputable news outlets.

We should all use the wait and see method before jumping and posting nonsense on a forum. 

As a longtime respected admin as yourself, you should know that kind of stuff can spread like wildfire. Im simply advising posters who are new around here to pump the brakes and relax before thinking something is concrete. 

I would think an admin would not tell someone to take a hike and would welcome open debate and helpful advise as this kind of news stories and HOOSIERS NEWS (which is wy most of us are ) are getting hits on this site. 

I respect you CC, you helped build HSN into something that i quite enjoy. Your comment came off rude and snarky and im simply replying. 

enjoy the rest of your night and as always Go Hoosiers!!

Unlike other sites, we have always allowed rumors to be posted and not delete them. As you said to debate. Doyle wrote an article today saying two recruits were down to IU and 2 other schools. Hell I didnt read it, why, because that was posted here a week ago by a member. Take the info here and use it how you see fit but don't come on here and tell others how to think about it. If you think its BS great. Your snarky tone posting it twice got CC to comment before the other 5 mods could. We pay for this site which is free to you, keep that in mind. Have a good night.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The fact that the investigation started in 2015 does not prevent a whistle-blower from saying something like...."Well, stuff like this has gone on in Arizona from the minute Sean Miller was hired'.  

Hope for the best in regards to IU.  But, don't stick your head in the sand and believe it can't touch us.  Same reason that UK fans should not gloat too much.  The FBI simply has not gotten around to exposing their brand of athletic apparel yet. 

Agreed. I do believe that Crean was pretty clean relative to most big time college coaches. But we know players are getting paid to choose other schools. So if IU is clean and a top recruit comes here, that means he's turning down the opportunity to get paid elsewhere. I'm pretty confident guys like Zeller and Ferrell would turn down the cash. Can we say that with confidence about every highly rated recruit IU had under Crean?

I'm not just talking about IU here. This is all big time basketball schools. Does anyone really believe all the 5 star recruits Coach K gets every year are turning down $100K+ to go play at Duke for nothing? Nobody should feel safe about this investigation.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

On the other hand, I don't think Archie is feeling the pressure to produce results yet.  Sure, he WANTS to compete. That's his nature, but right now, he's got a blank check. Does he feel a need to cheat today, I doubt it. I think all coaches start out with the intention of doing things the right way. Too many of them are tempted to cheat when the pressure to win gets strong.  

I'm also not buying that all elite recruits take money to play at a given school.  I'd be willing to bet a significant sum that none of the Zeller brothers took a nickel outside of the rules.  I doubt they are the only family out there with ethics or at least a fear of getting caught.

Anthony Davis on the other hand...yeah, he absolutely took UK cash. The more I read, the more confident I am of that.

I would be willing to bet that there are more high-level recruits that seek out/receive some kind of illegal benefit than there are those that don't.  More than a dozen pretty obvious cases from the last few years have been mentioned in this thread.  For every Zeller or Ferrell in a given class, I'm sure there are two guys like Davis and Lyle.

Food for thought:

Anyone wonder if the investigators are asking schools to come forward with info or a guilty plea because they might have the most egregious offenses? 

Using the names released today to break the ice & let the "big spenders" know they are coming for them & to confess before they drop bombs.

In regards to the sentiment that Archie could be implicated or participate in any of these tactics, I feel it on the board. I cannot honestly say I know enough about Archie to definitively say he doesn't or wouldn't which i think creates the doubt aura on the board right now.

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So wait....  Am I missing something? After reading some of these posts, people are putting our new coach in with the cheaters? Comments like jumping in with the sharks has me scratching my head

Total speculation on my part, sorry if I didn't make that clear.  I'm actually personally fairly confident that Archie won't be implicated at this point.  But I think it's worth it to look at things with a neutral eye and at least consider the possibility that he will be.  The "jumping in with the sharks" comment was a reference to Archie competing against guys like Pitino and K for high-level recruits.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would be willing to bet that there are more high-level recruits that seek out/receive some kind of illegal benefit than there are those that don't.  More than a dozen pretty obvious cases from the last few years have been mentioned in this thread.  For every Zeller or Ferrell in a given class, I'm sure there are two guys like Davis and Lyle.

It could be exactly as you say. I don't pretend to know percentages. I'm only confident that there are talented players who also come from high character families or are at least concerned enough about getting caught to stay away from the dirty money.  What that ratio is...who knows.  

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It could be exactly as you say. I don't pretend to know percentages. I'm only confident that there are talented players who also come from high character families or are at least concerned enough about getting caught to stay away from the dirty money.  What that ratio is...who knows.  

Yeah, I don't think it's all top recruits either, but I do think a significant percentage of top recruits are getting something. In a lot of cases it's probably more complex than just wiring cash to the family like apparently happened with UL and Bowen. It's probably more "come here and get plugged in with this guy, and this business, etc". Maybe the shoe company promises a bonus when they sign their first deal as a pro. I'm just speculating, but there are lots of ways to do it.

Archived