FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yeah, I don't think it's all top recruits either, but I do think a significant percentage of top recruits are getting something. In a lot of cases it's probably more complex than just wiring cash to the family like apparently happened with UL and Bowen. It's probably more "come here and get plugged in with this guy, and this business, etc". Maybe the shoe company promises a bonus when they sign their first deal as a pro. I'm just speculating, but there are lots of ways to do it.

I remember a quote from Tom Izzo years ago that 70% of the top 20 were recruited 'dirty' that particular year.  I do not remember the year, or if it was exactly the top 20, but I remember the 70% for sure.  That is pretty spot on for the 2 to 1 ratio that FW_Hoosier posted.

6 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

True, but Phinisee and Anderson are not 5-star recruits or even one-or-two-or-three-and-done style guys.  The smattering of 4-stars we've landed this year are not likely to warrant ADIDAS money. Not worried about Archie at all.

It looks like we have a fellow member from the Centennial State on board.  Colorado Springs, it looks to me, judging by your Avatar, and user name.

Welcome to HSN.03  !

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Pete Thamel....."This may be the biggest sports story of our lifetime".

https://sports.yahoo.com/deep-will-recruiting-scandal-go-may-biggest-college-sports-story-lifetime-220742127.html

As a college basketball fan, think about that for a moment.

• Bigger than steroids in baseball
  • Bigger than Lance Armstrong
  • Bigger than Olympic boycotts
  • Bigger than all the various work-stoppages in the major sports
  • Bigger than CTE and football
  • Bigger than Purdue (to be fair, so is everything else on earth)

The link you have provided here, and the links within the links of the article, are a great primer as to what happened, and what to expect going forward in terms of this scandal.

IMHO, must read material for all of our fellow members.

Thanks for bringing them to our board. 

6 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So wait....  Am I missing something? After reading some of these posts, people are putting our new coach in with the cheaters? Comments like jumping in with the sharks has me scratching my head

I don't think anyone is saying he is.  I think people are simply stating that it's too early to eliminate anything at this point.  The one thing that we do know as it relates to Archie is that his brother leads a program that has had an assistant coach implicated.  That is fact.  The FBI did not make that charge without having the goods.

Beyond that, everything is a bunch of speculation and what-ifs.  Someone can speculate that this explains why Arizona has been so successful recruiting, and that Sean Miller had to know.  Someone else can counter, well that's Sean, not Archie.

We simply don't know.  And, it will likely be a while before everything comes out.  This has the potential to be big enough that it could RUIN college basketball as we know it.  And, that might actually be a good thing.

Personally, I'm going to focus on the facts, form opinions based on those facts, but not be naive to the point that I think a particular program or coach, IU included,  is in the clear simply because they were not named this time around.  All you need to know to support that type position is that Cal and UK were not mentioned.  That tells me right there that this story is not yet complete.   And, it may never be.  Not everyone that should get caught will get caught.

Was on road most of day yesterday so I couldn't read. I hope no one is implying/suggesting/insinuating that because Sean/Archie are brothers they might act the same way. If so...that's just poor form for allowing it up.

Exhibit A for that argument. Bryce and Scott Drew. Just because you share a last name doesn't mean a thing.

Back to subject. My guess is Rick will resign (Jurich probably too) and his presser will go something like this. After 40 years in this sport I am so tired of shouldering the blame for things that aren't in my control. Therefore I will resign to protect Louisville from further embarrassment. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was on road most of day yesterday so I couldn't read. I hope no one is implying/suggesting/insinuating that because Sean/Archie are brothers they might act the same way. If so...that's just poor form for allowing it up.

Exhibit A for that argument. Bryce and Scott Drew. Just because you share a last name doesn't mean a thing.

Back to subject. My guess is Rick will resign (Jurich probably too) and his presser will go something like this. After 40 years in this sport I am so tired of shouldering the blame for things that aren't in my control. Therefore I will resign to protect Louisville from further embarrassment. 

The key thing is that we don't know.  Lack of proof may mean something, it may not.  At this point, we don't even know if Sean was involved as it relates to Arizona, or whether he simply had a rogue assistant.  That said, I'm not sure the Drews are a valid comparison.  We all speculate that Scott is dirty, while a lot of people think Bryce is clean.  But, the reality is that we don't know.  Heck, it's possible it's the total opposite of what we think.

I mentioned this in an earlier post several pages back.  With the information we have available at this point, here are the direct/indirect connections that IU has with the scandal based on what we know today.

• Adidas
  • Kenny Johnson
  • Sean Miller 

That's all we know at this point.  Those 3 connections may mean nothing.  They may mean everything.  Or, there could be other connections that have not come to light yet.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Posted  on Mike and Mike, Wednesday morning.  All four assistant coaches are facing individually, up to 80 years in prison.

Side note, Golic has no clue..... claiming schools are allowed 15 scholarship players.  

I see the potential for those guys to bring down a lot of others in an effort to reduce the penalties they are facing.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just received a text from guy here in the Indy area that is pretty well known. History of being right. All he said was expect another school to be in trouble today. I didn't push for anything further....but could be another bomb dropped today.

If it's related to the Adidas portion of the story, I would have to think Kansas should be most worried.  They are the flagship basketball school for the brand.  

Yea I was reading more about this on reddit and it looks like some people have connected the dots on the 2 universities that were in a bidding war for a player and it was Nasir Little between Miami(Adidas) and Arizona(Nike). He hasn’t committed anywhere officially I guess. So it looks like Arizona was involved in both schemes the FBI reviewed yesterday. 

Edit: I should say it is possible the money to get Nassir could have come from the agents and not Nike since Nike hasn’t been brought into this yet. But let’s be honest, it’s just a matter of time. 

Edit 2: Nassir I guess hasn’t committed to Arizona or anywhere yet actually. I thought I read he had committed to Arizona already. 

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

This excerpt from the article should make us feel a little better about Archie-

In a phone conversation recorded by the FBI, Dawkins told Sood and an undercover agent that “the path to securing commitments from college athletes was through assistant coaches … the head coach … ain’t willing to (take bribes) ‘cause they’re making too much money. And it’s too risky,’” the complaint says.

Just have to worry about the assistants! 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The only thing I am worried about when it comes to IU is the connection with Boo Williams and his AAU program.

I wouldn't be. I know no one is immune from the gray area in recruiting but I'll repeat what I've said for a long time. There's a reason Crean had to recruit the lets say 50th-90th ranked type players. He wouldn't go down the path. 

Wilkes, Malik, Scruggs....some of these others. Plenty of whispers. Hope we find out the goods someday.

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This excerpt from the article should make us feel a little better about Archie-

In a phone conversation recorded by the FBI, Dawkins told Sood and an undercover agent that “the path to securing commitments from college athletes was through assistant coaches … the head coach … ain’t willing to (take bribes) ‘cause they’re making too much money. And it’s too risky,’” the complaint says.

Just have to worry about the assistants! 

But doesn't that quote just refer to assistant coaches taking bribes to steer players toward independent agents?  Makes sense that millionaire head coaches wouldn't get involved with a two-bit scheme like that.  But shoe companies paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to secure commitments from recruits is a much different story.  I almost don't see how a head coach couldn't be involved with that.

10 hours ago, newhavenwarford said:

I think the playing field is gonna even out now with these "top recruits" . Youll know what all schools are dirty by the drop off in talent they get

Problem is now if anyone besides UK or Duke gets a top 10 kid everyone will think that school did something wrong.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just received a text from guy here in the Indy area that is pretty well known. History of being right. All he said was expect another school to be in trouble today. I didn't push for anything further....but could be another bomb dropped today.

Kansas seems most likely, but if I'm a UK or Duke fan I'm not comfortable at all right now.  In all honesty, I'm not comfortable as an IU fan, and I'm nearly positive Crean was clean.

Archived