FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

1 hour ago, BtownBallers said:

Yea I was reading more about this on reddit and it looks like some people have connected the dots on the 2 universities that were in a bidding war for a player and it was Nasir Little between Miami(Adidas) and Arizona(Nike). He hasn’t committed anywhere officially I guess. So it looks like Arizona was involved in both schemes the FBI reviewed yesterday. 

Edit: I should say it is possible the money to get Nassir could have come from the agents and not Nike since Nike hasn’t been brought into this yet. But let’s be honest, it’s just a matter of time. 

Edit 2: Nassir I guess hasn’t committed to Arizona or anywhere yet actually. I thought I read he had committed to Arizona already. 

He was a HEAVY lean to Zona as well before news broke yesterday, according to sources close to him he has opened his recruitment all the way back open. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Also, looking back through this thread....I'd like to state that I'm on the 'Bilas' side of paying athletes. I will preface my argument by saying that this does not excuse any illegal payments being made now or in the past. Everybody who broke the rules deserves what is coming to them. As long as it's the rule, everybody should abide by it.

But let's dumb this down and say what it really is:

Colleges are telling athletes (kids, mind you): we'll house you, feed you, and give you an 'education' so we can make millions of dollars off of your talent and your name. BUT you can't profit from your talent or your name.

Of course this is not for all athletes, only the best of the best, but it is not even remotely fair. And sometimes I wonder how in this day and age it is even legal. 

I don't understand why so many people keep saying the athletes should be paid....It's not going to happen. Title XI would requires equal treatment/assets provided to all. So if you want to pay the high revenue players you have to pay ALL of them and most likely you'll have to pay them equally. I don't care how much revenue major schools get from basketball/football, its not enough to pay every athlete on campus. It also makes the students employees of the state and/or institution which opens up another can of worms. If players want to get paid outside their scholarship and stipend they can play in the D leagues/Minor Leagues and/or overseas...no one will miss those players and the college brand will thrive because the fans root for their schools not matter if they have "1 and done" talent.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I think the recruiting landscape will be permanently changed. It will take a while for the dust to settle and see who the winners and losers will be.

If Indiana comes out clean we should be a big winner.

Other winners I see - Tom Crean,  the Big Ten, Illinois (will finally be able to recruit Chicago) and a bunch of other mid level schools. 

Losers- Louisville, Miami, Arizona, and hopefully Duke Kansas UCLA and Kentucky. I'm just assuming those other big schools are going to eventually get swept up in this.

Underwood was at OSU with Evans, i dont think he makes it out unscathed if all this is proven true in a court of law. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

I've been thinking about this. We've all complained about Crean not getting some of the top recruits, maybe this is why. Maybe he really wasn't willing to play these dirty games and it definitely could have had a negative recruiting effect.

Very well could be true. And Archie suddenly gaining momentum with blue chip recruits should then raise eyebrows, as a result. Not saying he's dirty. But no one should be surprised if anything comes from this.

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Very well could be true. And Archie suddenly gaining momentum with blue chip recruits should then raise eyebrows, as a result. Not saying he's dirty. But no one should be surprised if anything comes from this.

hopefully hes just as good as advertised at building relationships and local HS coaches in the state love him as a part of that. 

I am wondering.  How many head coaches will be taking "early retirements", this season.  Kind of like Bo Ryan. Who announced before the season, he would be retiring at the end of the season.  But abruptly "retired", mid season, when storm clouds started to hang over Bo, about his committing adultery.  Good move on Bo's part as those storm clouds went away as soon as he did.

Bo Ryan's Tenure As Wisconsin Head Coach Ended Strangely

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I am not putting my head in the sand, but on the other hand, won't incriminate Archie, or any coach, until they are actually named. That being said, if anything untoward would come out regarding CAM, that would also have to raise some questions on Glass and the amount of due diligence he did/didn't do prior to the hiring.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I hadn't thought that far ahead. I hope CAM is just good. The fact it's Adidas and Arizona is involved does worry me a bit though. We definitely don't need that kind of publicity.

19 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Not saying he will be implicated. But I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if IU's name comes up in this investigation - for Crean's tenure or Archie's. It's foolish to assume we are in the clear. And as 5fouls has laid out, there are plenty of connecting pieces.

CAM worked for his brother at Arizona from 2009 to 2011. Emmanuel Richardson followed Sean Miller to Arizona from Xavier in 2009. So they work together for about 2 and half years before CAM left for Dayton in 2011. Richardson has been working for Sean Miller for 10 years; I think it'd be hard for Sean Miller to get out of this mess unscathed. 

For CAM, I think he'd be on the safe side unless he was actively involved in this scheme with Richardson at Arizona. At Dayton, he had 2 borderline 4 stars (One ranked on 128, and the other one on 113), and all others were 3 stars or less. If he did something fishy, he would've gotten better players. 

4 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

CAM worked for his brother at Arizona from 2009 to 2011. Emmanuel Richardson followed Sean Miller to Arizona from Xavier in 2009. So they work together for about 2 and half years before CAM left for Dayton in 2011. Richardson has been working for Sean Miller for 10 years; I think it'd be hard for Sean Miller to get out of this mess unscathed. 

For CAM, I think he'd be on the safe side unless he was actively involved in this scheme with Richardson at Arizona. At Dayton, he had 2 borderline 4 stars (One ranked on 128, and the other one on 113), and all others were 3 stars or less. If he did something fishy, he would've gotten better players. 

Agreed, except this investigation carries into this month. If Archie is connected to any wrongdoing with any of IU's recruits, he is not immune here.

24 minutes ago, iRepIU said:

Underwood was at OSU with Evans, i dont think he makes it out unscathed if all this is proven true in a court of law. 

Been lurking the new site, but figured now's a good time to register (crazy days!).

(Illini fan - been on the old HSN, Scout, and so on)

Definitely not feeling warm and fuzzy on this.

Archived