FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

I'm not worried as much about vacating wins (especially from that season) as I am about sanctions going forward.

Probably wouldn't get any. Maybe probation, but can't imagine a loss of scholarships from it unless they can show it went beyond just Kenny Johnson being rogue.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree because the solution to this problem is not to pay the players but get rid of the one and done rule.  Go to the baseball model and let them go straight from high school but if you go to college you go for 3 years.  This would get rid of the players who don't care about college and leave the game to actual student athletes.  This would eliminate the agents and shoe companies having to bribe coaches to get their players to go to their agency.

Eliminating the one and done rule won't clean up college basketball by itself. Even if the top 10, or 20 or whatever number of players go directly to the NBA every year, there will still be the next best available player for colleges to compete over and some of these will be NBA level talents for shoe companies to fight over as well. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think Pitino will be fired for 10 days.  I've seen a lot of folks on Twitter mention that the university wants to fire him for just cause so they don't have to pay him $55M.  

I have read that his contract stipulates that he can only be fired by the BOT.  And that they have to give him a ten day notice.

Now, having said that... two things may have already happened. The BOT has issued their notice. Or, the BOT found a loophole in his contract, such as committing a violation, while still under probation.  Any way, we are about to find out.

1 minute ago, hoosierBGH said:

Eliminating the one and done rule won't clean up college basketball by itself. Even if the top 10, or 20 or whatever number of players go directly to the NBA every year, there will still be the next best available player for colleges to compete over and some of these will be NBA level talents for shoe companies to fight over as well. 

If the players who went to college had to stay 3 years then there would be no reason to contact them if you are an agent.  It is odd you don't see any of this stuff in baseball with this rule.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If the players who went to college had to stay 3 years then there would be no reason to contact them if you are an agent.  It is odd you don't see any of this stuff in baseball with this rule.

Baseball doesn't generate the revenue basketball and football does.  I think it would be even worst if they had to stay 3 years.  Imagine being able to build a powerhouse roster knowing you have nba talent for 3 years.  Think about how good Duke or UK would be if they all stayed 3 years.  Think about how much more these players would be worth then.

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Probably wouldn't get any. Maybe probation, but can't imagine a loss of scholarships from it unless they can show it went beyond just Kenny Johnson being rogue.  

Which could happen if Johnson implicates Crean when he's talking to the feds.  Obviously just spitballing here, but it's not that far-fetched.  Also hard to know how the NCAA will deal with these violations, considering the potential scope across all of college basketball.

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Very well could be true. And Archie suddenly gaining momentum with blue chip recruits should then raise eyebrows, as a result. Not saying he's dirty. But no one should be surprised if anything comes from this.

I think this is more worry than merited concern -- that's my take, if I prove to be wrong, so be it.

I do not see any "smoke" or "fire" indicating that Crean (who clearly did a tremendous amount of work to clean up IU's recruiting, after Sampson's phone-gate stuff, and academics, after Sampson's blind eye to all things academic) or IU will be implicated. And Archie just became IU's coach, to think that the FBI was investigating him or IU at that stage is a real stretch, imo, and again, I see no reason to expect any illegal or improper recruiting by Archie.

I'll say it again, if I'm proved wrong, so be it -- but there just isn't any reason, in my opinion, to think Crean, IU or Archie will be implicated.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think this is more worry than merited concern -- that's my take, if I prove to be wrong, so be it.

I do not see any "smoke" or "fire" indicating that Crean (who clearly did a tremendous amount of work to clean up IU's recruiting, after Sampson's phone-gate stuff, and academics, after Sampson's blind eye to all things academic) or IU will be implicated. And Archie just became IU's coach, to think that the FBI was investigating him or IU at that stage is a real stretch, imo, and again, I see no reason to expect any illegal or improper recruiting by Archie.

I'll say it again, if I'm proved wrong, so be it -- but there just isn't any reason, in my opinion, to think Crean, IU or Archie will be implicated.

That's my take as well.  This idea that IU recruiting is dirty is more likely a GBI fantasy than anything resembling real trouble. I think Purdue for all their fans' sanctimonious crowing about being squeaky clean would be more likely to face trouble for Swanigan (don't bother recruiting if you're not a Nike school) than anything I've heard about IU's recruiting to date.  For the record, I don't expect any significant trouble for either school. I'm just saying that the shoe requirement for Swanigan sounds more fishy than anything I've ever heard regarding an IU recruit.

16 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Now hearing that both on administrative leave and not fired.  what the heck.

Apparently Rick has the 10 day clause in his contract, and Jurich has a 30 clause in his contract. The university has to show evidence for firing in those timeframes. This is what I'm hearing from Louisville radio.

Archived